DVDVR Message Board

GOTG: Wii Pimping Thread

Here are the Top 10 games of each year according to aggregate review scores from Gamerankings

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Trauma Center: Second Opinion
3. Madden NFL 07
4. Rayman Raving Rabbids
5. Wi Sports
6. Elebits
7. Excite Truck
8. Metal Slug Anthology
9. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
10. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
4. Guitar Hero 3: Legendso f Rock
5. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
6. Super Paper Mario
7. Warioware: Smooth Moves
8. Geometry Wars: Galaxies
9. Mario Strikers Charged
10. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

1. World of Goo
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3. Okami
4. Boom Blox
5. Mega Man 9
6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
7. Bully: Scholarship Edition
8. No More Heroes
9. Mario Kart Wii
10. Wii Fit

1. Metroid Prime Trilogy
2. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
4. Boom Blox Bash Party
5. Punch Out!!
6. Little King's Story
7. Dead Space Extraction
8. EA Sports Active
9. Madworld
10. Wii Sports Resort
(somehow Muramasa: The Demon Blade and A Boy and his Blob didn't make the top 10)

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Kirby's Epic Yarn
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
5. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
6. And Yet It Moves
7. Monster Hunter Tri
8. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
9. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
10. Goldeneye 007

Okay so it only lists games with 20+ reviews, so...

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sqord
2. Kirby's Return to Dream Land
3. Fortune Street
4. Lost in Shadow
5. Conduit 2
6. Mario Sports Mix
7. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Rhythm Heaven Fever
3. The Last Story
4. Mario Party 9

1. Pandora's Tower

I'm so torn on pimping Metriod: Other M as a game to take a look at, because you take out the shitty Samus PTSD plot-line, 4 bad pixel-hunt scenes, an unresolved plot thread, and terrible pre-credits "final boss", there's a really fucking good 2D pretending to be a 3D Metroid game there, including 2 of the best boss fights in the series.  Not as good as Prime 3 or any of the handheld games, but still good.

Excitebots Trick Racing - So much better than Excite Truck it's not even funny.

Baroque - I don't fully understand this game at all. I've played it numerous times and I think I 'beat' it but I'm not sure.

Lost In Shadow - 2.5D platformer that feels like an homage to ICO & Shadow of the Colossus. Also Hudson's last game before they became part of Konami.

Baffling by its absence in all that is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Now, I don't have any idea if it's actually any good, but it is a game I think about a whole lot. You don't really get games that are as modular and idiosyncratic. Maybe as consoles let more crazy people make crazy shit for lower prices and budgets we'll get some experiences that are as directly responsive as Silent Hill, but I'm not counting on it. 

Well, the reason I include these lists despite them being full of shit like that (Symphony of the Night is on one of the 360 lists) is for people to see those years, go "oh yeah that fucking thing, what else came out that year" and go look it up.

I mean, I'm not going to stop anyone from putting in a list of re-releases, but I might call them a douchebag if they do it.

Super Mario Galaxy: This is the best platform game I’ve ever played with such a wide degree of variety in it.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Great gameplay and shows others how to do it regarding the large variety of unlockable content to go at. Snake and Sonic are playable characters!

One of the most underrated games on the Wii has to be Mario Strikers Charged.

This is my favorite multiplayer game for the Wii. I've had more fun playing this with friends than I had with even Mario Kart or Smash Bros

I hope they make a new one for the Wii U.

I really think the early cycle of this console proved that it was a fantastic party game console.

Wii Sports was great because you had a very basic, easy to understand sports game for all ages, and I have probably logged more hours killing time on Wii Bowling than I care to admit. (I used to do our new member calls and inactive member calls at Movie Gallery while bowling).

Warioware:Smooth Moves has to be one of the more fun and comical games that I played on first impression. During the year Manning won his first Super Bowl against the Bears, we were dead at Movie Gallery, so three of us just worked our way through the different puzzles. For me, this game encompassed what was alluring about the console in its early life cycle.

Well, the reason I include these lists despite them being full of shit like that (Symphony of the Night is on one of the 360 lists) is for people to see those years, go "oh yeah that fucking thing, what else came out that year" and go look it up.

I mean, I'm not going to stop anyone from putting in a list of re-releases, but I might call them a douchebag if they do it.

I actually wouldn't consider voting on Wii or 360 for pretty much exactly that reason. I had those systems, but used the 360 about 60 percent for XBLA games like Lode Runner and Perfect Dark, and on the Wii the only 'proper' games I ever bought were the NMH titles and Punch-Out. Everything else was VC. But since MSA got mentioned, it seemed apropos to raise the question because Devil's Crush is still that good.

I'll probably take flak for this, but Wii Fit was a hell of an idea for its time. Probably the main reason I bought a Wii in the first place (though I don't think I've even had it hooked up for a very long time).

Never played any of the PS or XBox "fitness" type of games, so I'm not sure how they compare, but Wii Fit was pretty great, I thought.

I was babbling with a friend about this stuff and someone pointed out to me that due to the rules of this exercise, Cave Story is eligible as its first retail release was on the Wii.

So, hey. Cave Story is really, really, really good. The OG "I can't believe this was made by one guy" game. As an individual expression of the joy of video games, it's fantastic, but as an action game it's fucking incredible. Everything feels heavy and responsive.

• Like 1

I was babbling with a friend about this stuff and someone pointed out to me that due to the rules of this exercise, Cave Story is eligible as its first retail release was on the Wii.

So, hey. Cave Story is really, really, really good. The OG "I can't believe this was made by one guy" game. As an individual expression of the joy of video games, it's fantastic, but as an action game it's fucking incredible. Everything feels heavy and responsive.

Cave Story is the greatest love letter to the SNES/Genesis generation IMO.

Every time I play Cave Story, it's Saturday morning, I'm 12 and I'm in my pajamas eating Lucky Charms.

Warioware:Smooth Moves has to be one of the more fun and comical games that I played on first impression. During the year Manning won his first Super Bowl against the Bears, we were dead at Movie Gallery, so three of us just worked our way through the different puzzles. For me, this game encompassed what was alluring about the console in its early life cycle.

Playing Star Nose for the first time with friends while drunk is the hardest I can remember laughing.

So, hey. Cave Story is really, really, really good. The OG "I can't believe this was made by one guy" game.

If you knock off two of the reallys this is basically how I described it to a friend who was thinking of getting it. I hate to go down the 'you should like it because of how much effort you presume it took to make' because that's how the budget = score mentally comes up, but yeah, one guy.

Baroque - I don't fully understand this game at all. I've played it numerous times and I think I 'beat' it but I'm not sure.

Baroque was a PS2 game originally.

And to weigh in on the re-release issue, if I were voting Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition would be a serious contender. The best kind of game-breaking, distinct from the original release, and arguably the definitive version of the original release (all the content, GC controller) either way.

• 4 weeks later...

No mention of MadWorld yet? That was one of those games that really brought out the Wii as a homicide simulator. Trippy presentation, good soundtrack, hilarious commentary, it's quite the package.

Not weighing in on the GOTG talk, but saw Swayze Express saying he/she was using this forum to look for Wii games to play so I thought I'd expand a bit on this thing's library seeing as it's like 90% exclusives.

WII GAMES I'VE PLAYED: SMASHING STATUS CONFIRMED

Excite Truck - Never encountered a review that said this game was great, and never encountered anyone who played this game that thought it wasn't. I recently heard some of its terrible, generic rock soundtrack in a youtube vid and by Pavlovian response my pulse quickened.

Neo Geo Everything - Anthologies for Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown and King of Fighters: Orochi Saga. SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 and virtual console for the rest.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - See my post above.

Kororinpa: Marble Mania - Toy-like in a physical way that tickles different parts of the brain than the usual viddygam fare.

New Super Mario Bros Wii - The success of New Super Mario Bros prods Nintendo to get the band back together to make a proper Mario Bros.

Super Mario Galaxy - The only game I've played that felt like it was from the future. I'm saving the sequel for when I've got 30 days to live or something.

Wario Land: Shake It! - Gorgeous, serene platform puzzling made all the sweeter by previously playing a trillion inferior indy attempts at the same.

Wii Sports Resort - Rockstar take note - this is how you do table tennis.

Honourable mentions: House of the Dead 2 and 3 (haven't played 3 yet. Don't need to). Geometry Wars: Galaxies. Mario Kart Wii (cannot fully recommend with Nintendo Wi-fi no longer with us). Sonic Colors is the best 3D Sonic I've played if you like that sort of thing. Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess are both average entries for very good franchises.

WII GAMES I HAVE YET TO PLAY: SMASHING STATUS PENDING

Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Marvel vs Capcom 3 before Marvel vs Capcom 3 came out, with a nuttier / cooler delete as appropriate cast of characters.

Punch Out! - Supposed to be better than Super, and Super was super.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Very probably the best rail shooter ever and sadly possibly the last Treasure great.

Rhythm Heaven Fever - Rhythm Tengoku goes big screen.

Pro Evolution Soccer - Konami add the option of a control scheme where you use the pointer to control team mate movement and precision passes (and apparently works great). Am looking forward to playing a football game differently for the first time this century.

Boom Blox Bash Party - Sequel to 'that Spielberg game' that is actually meant to be really good. Also, gawk at the wonder of an EA game released on a Nintendo system that gave a shit.

Xenoblade Chronicles - is meant to be the best JRPG of the generation. Disclaimer: I still don't know whether this means it is good.

Honourable mentions: Skyward Sword. Little King's Story. Donkey Kong Country Returns (though '2nd best 2D platformer of the generation' doesn't mean much when Tropical Freeze tops it). Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Smash Bros Brawl. Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus. Rayman Origins.

Novelty picks (not greats by any measure, but might grab some interest for the jaded gamer)

Red Steel 2 - Wii swordfighting done okayish!

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - It's a console exclusive point and click game made in Japan!

Elebits - Use the wii remote to trash rooms by throwing everything around!

Let's Tap - Place wii remote on the official let's tap cardboard trays and tap said trays to victory!

No More Heroes - Suda51 makes you use the remote to slash up goons then jerk yourself off!

Warioware: Smooth Moves - Get friends round and drink and laugh!

Endless Oceans 1 & 2 - Serene scuba exploring!

Trauma Team - Dramatic surgery!

Deadly Creatures - Game about being a spider and a scorpion starring Dennis Hopper!

Fishing Resort - No joke I've seen a ton of people pimp this Yuji Naka fishing game that wasn't released in Europe.

Muscle March - 'Each of the game's three levels involves players chasing after a thief, who has stolen their bodybuilding friends' tub of protein powder, through a number of environments.'

A Boy and His Blob. Muramasa: Demon Blade. Klonoa. De Blob 2. Disaster: Day of Crisis. Castlevania/Contra Rebirth. Dead Space: Extraction. Flingsmash. Madworld. Bit.Trip Complete. Wii Fit. Wii Music. Pointer control Pikmin.

• Like 1