DVDVR Message Board

GOTG: Playstation 3 Pimping Thread

Here are the Top 10 games of each year according to aggregate review scores from Gamerankings

1. Resistance: Fall of Man
2. Fight Night Round 3
3. NBA 2K7
4. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
5. Call of Duty 3
6. Ridge Racer 7
7. NHL 2K7
8. Marvel Ultimate Alliance
9. Tony Hawk's Project 8
10. Need For Speed Carbon

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
3. Rock Band
4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
5. The Orange Box
6. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
7. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
9. Virtua Fighter 5
10. Unreal Tournament 3

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Little Big Planet
3. Bioshock
4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
5. Rock Band 2
6. Fallout 3
7. Dead Space
8. Burnout Paradise
9. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
10. Bionic Commando Rearmed

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2. Street Fighter IV
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum
5. Assassin's Creed 2
6. God of War Collection
7. Killzone 2
8. FIFA Soccer 10
9. Demon's Souls
10. The Beatles: Rock Band

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. God of War III
3. Super Street Fighter IV
4. Rock Band 3
5. MLB 10: The Show
6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
7. NHL 11
8. Heavy Rain
9. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Criterion)

1. Batman: Arkham City
2. Portal 2
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Little Big Planet 2
5. The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
7. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
9. MLB 11: The Show
10. NBA 2K12

1. Journey
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Borderlands 2
4. Okami HD
5. Dishonored
6. Far Cry 3
7. FIFA Soccer 13
8. MLB 12: The Show
9. UFC Undisputed 3
10. Persona 4 Arena

1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. The Last of Us
3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
4. MLB 13: The Show
5. Guacamelee!
6. Fifa 14
7. Diablo III
8. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
9. DmC: Devil May Cry
10. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Valkyria Chronicles - A charming SRPG that every PS3 owner should have. I don't care if it doesn't have trophies.

Folklore - Another overlooked RPG as well. I REALLY need to play through this.

Heavenly Sword - God of War clone where you can't jump, but very surprising game.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Also from Ninja Theory, it's got elements of Uncharted and Prince of Persia and did the 'lush floral post-apocalypse' that The Last Of Us did.

Shadows of the Damned - Suda 51/Mikami did this RE4 style game that is oppressive and bleak but has lots of interesting ideas if you can get past certain areas (TASTE MY BIG BONER!)

Darksiders - Zelda clone that is very long but one of the best first games I've ever seen.

Just Cause 2 - One of the more fun open world games.

Sleeping Dogs - A man who don't eat pork bun is not a whole man. Great game.

Catherine deserves some pimping, it's a great platform/puzzle game about a man trying to decide to commit to a relationship with a real surreal twist to it thanks to being part of the Shin Megami Tensei series.  It's kind of like playing an episode of The Twilight Zone.

• Like 1

Heavenly Sword - God of War clone where you can't jump, but very surprising game.

But way too short, unfortunately. I loved it, loved playing as a kick ass woman, but it was missing about half the game.

I'll make something of a list:

The Uncharted Series--Yes, I feel like all 3 games deserve to be mentioned.  2 and 3 are two of the best action platformers ever, and the first game really set the framework

NBA 2K11--To me, this is the benchmark game of the series.  The Jordan challenge was excellent, and every part of the gameplay was my favorite the series has offered

Infamous--Never played the second game, but this is probably my favorite superhero game ever

Metal Gear Solid 4--Say what you will about the series, but this game made me fucking cry over the smallest details

Batman Arkham City--I played this on PS3.  Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but anytime you FEEL like you are Batman, that game is a winner.

Heavy Rain--I found myself actively curious about the mystery in the game, and felt heartbroken at the reveal.  The setup to everything was genuinely unsettling.

The Last of Us--One of the best stories I've ever experienced in a game.  Once again, I found myself genuinely caring about the outcome.

Every game of The Show series.  The best sports games ever made.  I have a two way tie probably for my favorite game of this generation and they're both multi-plat games.  The one I played on PS3 was Red Dead Redemption.  What a great game.  Even the tedious tasks that you can get bogged down in for most games weren't tedious in this game and it was one of my favorite endings in a game ever.  COD4 is pretty high up on my list also.  

For me, the top games have been AC2 and Uncharted 2. AC2 is the best game I've ever played, while UC2 has the most memorable sequence (the train ride up the mountain).

Batman Arkham Asylum--I played this on PS3.  Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but anytime you FEEL like you are Batman, that game is a winner.

What did you think to Batman: Arkham City?

For me, the top games have been AC2 and Uncharted 2. AC2 is the best game I've ever played, while UC2 has the most memorable sequence (the train ride up the mountain).

I think I know the game Tabe will be giving his #1 vote to ; ).

Man, there were so many good games. It's hard to sort them out. Uncharted 2 is way up on my list but it might be just behind Fallout 3, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA 5.

Batman Arkham Asylum--I played this on PS3.  Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but anytime you FEEL like you are Batman, that game is a winner.

I actually MEANT Arkham City lol.  I'll have to edit that.

Ah. Sorry 'bout that. You've played Batman: Arkham Asylum haven't you?

Ah. Sorry 'bout that. You've played Batman: Arkham Asylum haven't you?

Of course!  I love both, but I love the scope of City.  Haven't played Origins yet, though.

• Like 1

Oooooof - such a difficult decision.

Uncharted 2 has to be up there just for sheer balls out scale and the daring to do what it tried to do.

Red Dead is a visually stunning game with a control system that felt right for the game.

Portal 2 for taking a physics game to the nth degree.

Far Cry 3 was another brilliant escape from reality for me. Loved Vaas as a deranged antagonist. Best villain in years.

I would probably put the original Borderlands over the second one - just because I hated handsome jack.

And where would you be without some ni no kuni in your life. dead, a husk of a human being. A charming game.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent more time with online Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown than any game since Sonic 2 back then, so maybe that? Street Fighter IV gets a lot of justified credit for bringing back fighters but I'm of the opinion this is best. 3000 online bouts roughly and I know my Jean Kujo and Pai Chan are both merely decent. Depth on top of depth.