DVDVR Message Board

GAMES OF THE GENERATION General Thread

okay no update on a subforum request, so...

HELLO WELCOME TO GENERATION OF GAMES 7

Rules!
1. Eligible systems are Playstation 3, X-Box 360, Wii, DS and PSP.
2. Please keep pimping in their related threads. Since this board is largely US-centric, use the United States release date as the relevant year.
3. Create a ballot (minimum 20 games, maximum 50 games) and submit it to have your votes count.

Suggestions!
-Wikipedia wont always have the data you need, so if you want to double check a release date or a developer, GameFAQs and Giant Bomb are pretty reliable.
-Maybe don't start system wars shit?

-If it's a multiplatform game, just bring it up in the thread of the system you played it on.

SEND BALLOTS TO dvdvr.generationgames AT gmail.com
DUE DATE IS AUGUST 15TH, 2014 but I am willing to extend it if people want more time

What's your Game of the Year through this generation? I've left the years I don't know about.

2007. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

2008. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

2009. Batman: Arkham Asylum

2010. Red Dead Redemption

2011. Batman: Arkham City

Just a clarifying question

Are you considering DS and 3DS one and the same? If not - are you considering 3DS part of the "next" generation (ie: would eventually be lumped in with XBone, PS4 and WiiU)?

You might have discussed this elsewhere but I figured I would ask now.

Oh and someone will definitely have to remind me around mid-August to submit a ballot

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering 3DS as belonging to the current generation (w/ Wii U, Vita, PS4, XBone). The DS was the first system out for this generation, and so too was the 3DS for its generation.

Well shit look at that, I guess I have a next gen system after all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't remember if we answered this or not.

If a whole series, say, Mass Effect, was exclusive to this gen, can we could the whole Trilogy (it was released/sold as a complete Trilogy eventually) or do we have to eat up possibly 3 spots for it?

I have no problems using three slots for it

Partly because one is further behind the other 2

Partly because it helps some of the hole left by me never getting a PS3

Some of it is that I might want to use the other two slots, the other is that I fully believe that the Series is greater than the sum of its parts.  They're good games on their own, its an epic masterpiece taken as a whole.

given that there's one good mass effect* i think using multiple slots for your ballot cyanide pill is totally acceptable.

Also because voting for an entire franchise as one slot is crazy. Like, if voting for gears also means voting for gears judgment, i would not vote for gears.

*it's the second one

EDIT: worth noting that I played ME on PCs, and ME1 was JAAAAAACKED. Like, if you have a multicore processor it would crash hourly, and if you overheated a weapon there was a high percentage chance that it would just never cool down unless you reloaded a save. I don't think Bioware ever patched that. And then I just never wanted to play ME3 after seeing the story leak and seeing I'd only be able to get it over Origin and fuck that (at the time, it's better now).

YOUR LIST HAS NO CREDIBILITY!!!!

God - it is kinda sad that I realized that this fucking poll is the thing that is going to get me to go through my pile of shame since I have basically like two weeks now to play stuff just to see if I want to vote for it

• Like 1

given that there's one good mass effect* i think using multiple slots for your ballot cyanide pill is totally acceptable.

Also because voting for an entire franchise as one slot is crazy. Like, if voting for gears also means voting for gears judgment, i would not vote for gears.

*it's the second one

EDIT: worth noting that I played ME on PCs, and ME1 was JAAAAAACKED. Like, if you have a multicore processor it would crash hourly, and if you overheated a weapon there was a high percentage chance that it would just never cool down unless you reloaded a save. I don't think Bioware ever patched that. And then I just never wanted to play ME3 after seeing the story leak and seeing I'd only be able to get it over Origin and fuck that (at the time, it's better now).

the story leak is overblown.   Seriously.

EDIT: That moment when I manged to get around 45 games I'd rank, then realize that included is all of Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, and inFamous.

Another clarifying question

Is there a cutoff for games released on the system? or maybe I should ask - if a game was released for both XBone and 360 (or PS3 and PS4) - is it no longer eligible?

I don't think I am considering anything that falls in that category - but playing the Destiny beta on the 360 made me realize that if the vote gets delayed a couple of weeks, Destiny would technically be eligible (depending on the answer to the question)

If it's physically released in the eligible period, it's eligible for the list. Now, I might send you a picture of someone side-eyeing someone out of frame if you put Destiny on the list of best games of the generation, but I'll allow it.

And if the ballot gets delayed that might be trouble, because it would be delayed into after the start of my semester. So it'd be neat if we didn't need that, but if we do it's fine.

ONE WEEK LEFT

I'm going to start checking the gmail account now so if you sent me a ballot already I'll shoot a confirmation back.

Just to make the stakes clear, my schedule from September to mid December is a fucking nightmare, so if we have to push this back so people can get it done, it'll be to late december/early january

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am glad that this got extended; I just saw it. This gives me a chance to give Alpha Protocol the recognition it deserves in at least one tiny arena, damn it!

Considering I've now played a few more games, I'll have to be revising my list (since I was the only submittal!!!!)

At least to fit the Dead Space games in there somewhere.