DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: RON REIS

RIPPA

In my unofficial big guy week - I didn't plan on doing both Loch Ness AND The Yeti but I had always planned on doing Reis this week and here we are.

Also - Reis is a bitch to search for footage of thanks to his 952 gimmicks

(Lots of bonus Guerrero Family footage here too)

I am disappointed by the internets. 

There is no video of Reis's run as Big Bomb Jones in Japan nor are there any matches of Reis in Russo's *gasp* Christian-themed fed, Glory Wrestling, as "Evil."

One topic that will amaze many listeners is Ron's revelation of why the Yeti was created. Ron explains the reason WCW came up with the character to begin with (and he says it was a big ruse) and how he, and others, helped the eventual success of the N.W.O. and more. Although the gimmick itself was created for a very specific reason, the original direction of the character was a different story altogether. Ron reveals what that reason was to James Guttman and ClubWWI.com listeners..

"The big thing they wanted to achieve was that first battle royal. It was going to be a 60 man battle royal and three giants. It was going to be Paul Wight (Big Show), Giant Gonzalez, and myself. I would be the ninja from Japan or something like that. They brought over Big Show to start doing his stuff. Then they brought over the Giant Gonzalez to start doing his stuff, but then he got sick. He came over and got workman's comp and then went back to…Argentina. When he did that, they (said to me), "Hey. We need you to go down there and jump in this role. And then I jumped out of the ice and came down and did the double bear hug…"

James and Ron then discuss that unfortunate double bear hug. While it looked good on paper, it looked like something very different when it played out. Ron realizes this and laments about how he ended up with "the back end of the bear hug." He also reveals how the idea came about to do it, when it came up, what he was worried most about during his Yeti debut, how Paul Orndorff's words of comfort didn't help, and much more on ClubWWI.com. 

While people remember the mummy-like character that Ron played, The entire Dungeon was so outlandish that he actually fit in. Featuring Brutus Beefcake as the Zodiak, Kamala, Kevin Sullivan, it all was monster-movie stuff. Ron talks about how the insanity of the gimmicks helped to achieve success for the real-life stories that would soon follow and admits that the Dungeon still gives him a laugh.

"I always laughed that someone might believe there's really a Dungeon of Doom somewhere. Like, you know, you're driving down the freeway and there's a sign, "Dungeon of Doom - 3 Miles?" What do you do? It's ridiculous."
  • Like 1

There is no video of Reis's run as Big Bomb Jones in Japan nor are there any matches of Reis in Russo's *gasp* Christian-themed fed, Glory Wrestling, as "Evil."

He had a "run?" I only know about the one match.

He had a "run?" I only know about the one match.

If it didn't involve opponents going to tie up, a kid from the crowd yelling "DON'T TOUCH HIM, HE'S EVIL" and then exploding, I don't want to see it.

I have nothing to add other than stories of driving around Santa Clara in my moms 1985 red Chevy station wagon when I was like 10 years old with poor Ron having to stick his head out the passenger side window to be able to fit in that tin can.

I have nothing to add other than stories of driving around Santa Clara in my moms 1985 red Chevy station wagon when I was like 10 years old with poor Ron having to stick his head out the passenger side window to be able to fit in that tin can.

I am thinking you have plenty to add to that story

So many questions - the biggest one being "Is Ron Reis your Dad?"

• Like 2

I am thinking you have plenty to add to that story

So many questions - the biggest one being "Is Ron Reis your Dad?"

Despite our similar aloof pudginess, not as far as I know.

My brother was friends with him at Santa Clara and he'd drive down and stay with us occasionally during holidays.  I remember being blown away that he had to duck to get in our house through the front door.

I loved when he showed up in WCW because I would use him as a measuring stick for how tall wrestlers really were.  "SEE?!  The Giant isn't as tall as they say!  He's shorter than The Yeti!"  ....God I must have been annoying.