DVDVR Message Board

Movies/TV shows that were better than the books they were based on?

Reed

The Crow reminds me a bit of Burton's Batman. Looked great when it came out, but years of better superhero flicks have upstaged it. Not convinced it's better than the graphic novel.

Lee is very good and some of the set pieces are amazing (it was directed by the same guy who did Dark City), but other than that? The characters are really one dimensional and the whole thing is just too caught up in its own misery.

Also, the bad guy looked like the lead singer of a second-rate '90s grunge band.

Which makes it weird that people are STILL cribbing stuff from it 20 years later.

When they lit up the flaming bat symbol in TDKR, I rolled my eyes SO HARD.  Hallmark of a terrible movie, right there.  Might as well have had Tim Curry playing Bane too.

• Like 1

I think part of it might be what happened to Lee. You don't want to think the guy died simply for some mediocre comic book movie, so some people just like to over-rate it to a ridiculous degree.

Like I said, I find most of the characters laughably cliched. The bad guys do everything because, well, they're bad and that's it. There's the endearing street kid who isn't even all that endearing. Oh, and literally all we are ever told about the girlfriend is that she's nice and very beautiful.  

Oh, and literally all we are ever told about the girlfriend is that she's nice and very beautiful.  

Eric loves Shelly so much that the universe allows him to come back from the dead to avenge her.

Not sure about you but that speaks volumes.  Isn't that really all you need to know about her?

The bad guys do everything because, well, they're bad and that's it.

The criminals in the movie are ridiculously one dimensional but they aren't terribly fleshed out in the graphic novel either. 

To be fair, the story really isn't about them anyway.  The real story is Eric's loss and how he deals with it.

For the record, CBS' Under the Dome will be on this list one day assuming it comes up with a better ending than King did for the novel.

This will not be hard.

Considering how terrible the show is, damn must the book be horrid.

OK, there was a scene in the book that didn't make the movie and totally should have, but the correct answer, as it often is, is JURASSIC PARK. 

I also think American Psycho - which I love, as a big fan of Ellis - is great in both forms, but the movie is a far easier bit of entertainment than the novel. Don't know that I'd call it better, but I've read the novel precisely once and have seen the movie at least ten times.