DVDVR Message Board

Godzilla (2014)

Big Fresh

There was a scene or two near the beginning where I was having trouble hearing the dialog, so, yeah, a little bit.

We watch everything at home with the subtitles on now, so that might be an issue were I to see it in the theater. 

It was only just a bit at the very beginning.  I don't know if I adjusted, or it was just those scenes.

But, yeah, it wasn't as chest rattling of a soundtrack as this kind of movie usually has.  Which I'm not sure is a bad thing, mind you.  I mean, the sound design and mix wasn't a disaster like in The Dark Knight Rises.

It's not Bane's voice (which I thought was terrible, but is roundly debated) it's how many times the background noise completely drowns out the dialog.  There's multiple scenes that you cannot hear the characters speaking.

The airplane scene being one of them. I had no idea what the fuck was even being said or how that would all be relevant later. I just kinda pieced things together when Bane took over the stadium. Oddly enough, it's easier to make out what's being said on the home video release when I watch it using my soundbar. If I just use TV speakers, it's all muffled.

You gotta save Mechagodzilla.  He didn't show up until the 14th Godzilla film.

You need to establish the ultimate evil dick Kaiju first, man.

(Normally, I'd want Mothra even before that, but since we already have Godzilla as more or less a hero, you don't need Mothra to first defeat him, and then convince him to help defend the earth against Ghidorrah.)

It's not Bane's voice (which I thought was terrible, but is roundly debated) it's how many times the background noise completely drowns out the dialog.  There's multiple scenes that you cannot hear the characters speaking.

The airplane scene was the worst.  i remember looking over at my wife and saying...this shit can't go on the whole movie like this....right?

And now, because why the fuck not, my top 5 list of Toho Godzilla films:

5. Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorrah: All Out Monsters Attack! - Shūsuke Kaneko directed this, after doing the (absolutely amazing) Gamera trilogy.  It's got some weird ideas for a Godzilla movie (like Ghidorrah being a good guy) but taken on it's own (which is what the Millennium series was all about) it's a really great, alternate take on the Big G.

4. Ghidorrah, The Three-Headed Monster (aka Three Giant Monsters! The Greatest Battle on Earth!) - The best multi-monster fight in the entire series makes up for the somewhat nonsensical plot and then some.  Godzilla's official face turn, moving to anti-hero.  The series really leaps into much crazier sci-fi right here, and this one might be the tipping point before it slides down, but it's so damn good.

3. Godzilla vs. Destroyah - The final "Heisei Era" film, and easily the best.  Probably the most emotionally resonant of any of the sequels, and it returns Godzilla to the visual language of horror films for the first time since probably Godzilla Raids Again 40 years earlier.

2. Mothra vs. Godzilla (aka Godzilla vs. The Thing aka Godzilla vs. Mothra) - This is from 1964.  Not to be confused with 1992's Godzilla vs. Mothra aka Godzilla And Mothra The Battle for the Earth.  The last of the original films to have a mostly serious plot, the last of the original series to have Big G as an unabashed villain.  Takes everything that worked about 1961's Mothra, and adds in Godzilla.  Just a masterpiece of big fun kaiju action.

1. Godzilla (aka Gojira) - Still the best film in the franchise.  So much more somber, more serious, more impactful.  It's an absolute deep examination of a national psyche dealing with both a massive tragedy less than a decade earlier, and a smaller but still important tragedy just months earlier.  Legitimately one of my favorite films ever.  It's not without flaws (holy fuck does the hand puppet that plays Godzilla in some shots look terrible, and nothing like the costume) but it powers through them by being just so damn real.  Despite being about a giant radioactive dinosaur.