DVDVR Message Board

Mark Lanegan

BurningBeard

cropped-untitled-2-copy2-e1400170101616.

Hi friends. I run an anecdotal music review blog www.fa-nat-ic.co.uk, check it out if it pleases ya - I'm always on the lookout for other contributors btw, especially looking at having more about live music on the site – proper gonzo journalism style reviews/thoughts/experiences from being at gigs. So if you’re going to any shows – from stadium rock to unknown basement hardcore – and want to give that style a whirl I’d appreciate your input. For more info on the style and concept behind the site check the What's All This About? page :)

With that plug out of the way, I've been doing a little experiment on the site where I review a musicians solo discography to see how they grew and expanded as an artist over time. I'm about 3/4's through reviewing/revisiting Mark Lanegan's solo albums, and I dare say he's my favourite vocalist (or second to Mike Patton).

What are your thoughts on the guy? I first discovered him through QOTSA, which led me onto Bubblegum, which led me onto his Soulsavers stuff, then my obsession started. Screaming Trees kinda passed me by outside of their 'best of' so I wasn't really beholden to him via that band, it's always been about his solo stuff and many collaborations for me

Dude, if I did everything he's been involved in I'd be listening to nothing but him for at least a month. Screaming Trees was never a Lanegan thing, it was all on the Conner brothers, so yes his solo stuff is more pertinent in regards to him evolving as an artist

Okay, to flip your point that's like saying Genesis was a Phil Collins thing cause he was lead singer and a songwriter... when it wasn't.

Read any interview or retrospective about Screaming Trees and you'll see it was definitely a Conner Brothers thing. Hence focusing on Lanegan's solo work where it was undoubtedly his. Looking at Screaming Trees would inform how he grew as an artist no doubt, but so would looking at QOTSA, Soulsavers, Gutter Twins, Isobel Campbell albums...

Okay, to flip your point that's like saying Genesis was a Phil Collins thing cause he was lead singer and a songwriter... when it wasn't.

Read any interview or retrospective about Screaming Trees and you'll see it was definitely a Conner Brothers thing. Hence focusing on Lanegan's solo work where it was undoubtedly his. Looking at Screaming Trees would inform how he grew as an artist no doubt, but so would looking at QOTSA, Soulsavers, Gutter Twins, Isobel Campbell albums...

So a guy who was a collaborator on all the important creative aspects of the band's music really wasn't an important part of the band?