DVDVR Message Board

UFC 163: Jose Aldo vs. Chan Sung Jung

J.T.

Davis got two takedowns, spent about a minute on top, and did nothing else. He's a terrible fucking fighter and Bones is going to obliterate him and his embarrassing facial hair.

These are the top dudes of that division.  Which is why it's so lame.  Davis can't do anything except go for takedowns and hope to control his opponent.  Machida has a lot of ability but he's not big or strong for 205, so the only real way he can win is to dance around and catch dudes off-balance.  Gustafsson ain't no good, he's just tall, Shogun is completely shot at this point.  I would not be surprised if he lost to Sonnen, he damn near lost to Brandon Vera.  Rashad should probably be at MW.  Glover is the only real bright spot in that division outside of the champ.  

A light heavyweight in the UFC doesn't go six in a row and go 7-1 by being just tall and no good.

Davis got two takedowns, spent about a minute on top, and did nothing else. He's a terrible fucking fighter and Bones is going to obliterate him and his embarrassing facial hair.

These are the top dudes of that division.  Which is why it's so lame.  Davis can't do anything except go for takedowns and hope to control his opponent.  Machida has a lot of ability but he's not big or strong for 205, so the only real way he can win is to dance around and catch dudes off-balance.  Gustafsson ain't no good, he's just tall, Shogun is completely shot at this point.  I would not be surprised if he lost to Sonnen, he damn near lost to Brandon Vera.  Rashad should probably be at MW.  Glover is the only real bright spot in that division outside of the champ.  

A light heavyweight in the UFC doesn't go six in a row and go 7-1 by being just tall and no good.

Yeah they do.  And not only that, they get a title shot for it.  By beating the murderers row of Cyril Diabate, James Te Huna, Vladdy Matyushenko, Matt Hamill, Thiago Silva, and Shogun.  

It's pathetic that that can get you a title shot today.  Now, when I say Gustafsson is no good, obviously I'm exaggerating.  He's a decent fighter.  He's got good standup and he's got some ground skills.  But only in the current sinkhole that is the UFC LHW division does that guy fight for the title, and only when you are protected and given a run of the guys they put him in against does that happen.  I don't think he beats Machida, he's already been beaten by Phil Davis once before, I think Rashad would probably beat him as well and I'd actually favor Bader against him.  No way does he get past Glover.  

It just looks to me that he was really blatantly nursed along and protected.  Ever since he got beaten by Phil Davis he hasn't had to face a really tough fight or any of the guys who were considered at the top of the division.  Only in his last fight did they put him in against one of those guys and it happened to be the worst of those guys in a completely done Shogun and when he beat him they gave him a title shot.  This would be the case with a lot of guys but he's going to get thoroughly embarrassed against Jon Jones because he doesn't belong anywhere near a title shot in reality.  

Yeah they do.  And not only that, they get a title shot for it.  By beating the murderers row of Cyril Diabate, James Te Huna, Vladdy Matyushenko, Matt Hamill, Thiago Silva, and Shogun.  

It's pathetic that that can get you a title shot today.  Now, when I say Gustafsson is no good, obviously I'm exaggerating.  He's a decent fighter.  He's got good standup and he's got some ground skills.  But only in the current sinkhole that is the UFC LHW division does that guy fight for the title, and only when you are protected and given a run of the guys they put him in against does that happen.  I don't think he beats Machida, he's already been beaten by Phil Davis once before, I think Rashad would probably beat him as well and I'd actually favor Bader against him.  No way does he get past Glover.  

It just looks to me that he was really blatantly nursed along and protected.  Ever since he got beaten by Phil Davis he hasn't had to face a really tough fight or any of the guys who were considered at the top of the division.  Only in his last fight did they put him in against one of those guys and it happened to be the worst of those guys in a completely done Shogun and when he beat him they gave him a title shot.  This would be the case with a lot of guys but he's going to get thoroughly embarrassed against Jon Jones because he doesn't belong anywhere near a title shot in reality.  

Machida must be fucking terrible then since he only had to beat a broken down Tito Ortiz, a juiced up Thiago Silva (one of the names you mentioned above), and Sokoudjou to get a title shot and then he got derailed by Shogun after he won it.  And then an old broken down Randy Couture to get his second shot against Jones where he got choked out and dropped like a sack of potatoes.

No, that doesn't make him terrible. It makes the division terrible. And yes it is terrible.

If Gustafsson isn't any good for beating Shogun and Silva, then Machida must be terrible if you look at his wins and loss to Shogun.

No, that doesn't make him terrible. It makes the division terrible. And yes it is terrible.

If Gustafsson isn't any good for beating Shogun and Silva, then Machida must be terrible if you look at his wins and loss to Shogun.
I'm not sure if you're aware but Shogun hasn't always been the fighter that he is right now. What are you arguing anyway?

Yeah, the division has been on a downslide lately, and having a dominant champion like Jon Jones doesn't help.  The 2-10 guys are average at best and almost completely interchangeable. Within that group, there is not a single one of them is a match for the champ.  It is almost the polar opposite of the lightweight division where they have 10-15 guys who could match up well with the champ, but it also means that they keep knocking each other off so there is never a consensus #1 contender. 

• Like 1