DVDVR Message Board

Louie

Dolfan in NYC

He really started out strong. "Back" was really good and the dark/funny balance was just right. "Model" was an instant classic. I'm so happy the show is back. It was worth the wait. 

That model episode was damn near perfect.  I really liked the touch of him not really knowing what to do when they got back into the house.  We can all see from the outside that she wanted to have sex with him, but I'm willing to bet most of us would be at least a little aprehensive if we were put in that situation.  Seriously, I've had some beautiful women flirt with me(I'll never understand why), and my first instinct is always, "Am I sure I'm not just wishing this woman is flirting with me?"  Generally, the star of the show just jumps head first into any and all relationships/sexual situations.  Real people don't always do that, especially when they are hitting above average, if you smell what I'm cooking.  The next thing that really hit home with me is the tickling.  I'm ticklish, and nothing in this world is worse than the girl who thinks it's funny to tickle you.  One of the biggest reasons is because it is impossible to control, and as a 200+ pound man if I accidently flail and hit you it is going to hurt.  It is infuriating to be tickled against your will. 

Just now watched them because Louie is the show you watch at the end of a long week, not the beginning of one.  I hate that it's on Mondays, Thursdays were perfect.

Model ranks with some of the most cringeworthy episodes of television ever.  And I absolutely loved it.  Jerky Seinfeld was the highlight for me, I related all too well to the person who sets you up to fail by not telling you anything and then blaming you when you couldn't figure out the instructions you weren't given.

"So Did The Fat Lady"........................a perfect example of how this show can make you so uncomfortable you want to crawl out of your skin.  The whole episode you're just waiting for the awkwardness.............even when things are going so well on the coffee date and they're having a good time because they're both clearly good people that are enjoying each others company......you're just waiting for the bad part.  Because it's Louie and that's the thunder this show brings. 

Goddamn what a great show. 

• Like 1

The speech was amazing.

Also, someone mentioned that FX got away with saying "fucked" on air for the first time. It's a testament to the scene that no one has really bothered about it.

• Like 1

It didn't even dawn on me until the next episode where it got bleeped that I realized...wait a minute...she actually said it earlier.

Everyone's raving about her speech, but Louie's freak-out on his daughter is what I'll remember most and almost brought a tear.  I think there was arguably more raw emotion in that scene from Louie than anything else he's done in the series. 

EDIT:  And my mind is now blown learning that the woman in the the apartment in "Elevator Part 1" is the girl from Stranger Than Paradise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was let down that the last 1/2 or so was just recycled stand-up material, but I'll admit that I was only kinda half watching during what appeared to be an attempted rape on Louie's part.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that has got to be right up there with season 4 of The Wire among the greatest single-season runs any TV show has ever put together. I maybe didn't laugh as hard or as often as I did watching past seasons of Louie, but I was genuinely moved - again and again - throughout this run. So many ideas and moments just hit home with me. That was great TV. 

• Like 1

I've basically missed the whole goddamn thing, between Raw and Stewart/Colbert back to back (which I guess really says something about a person). The only thing I've caught the entire time is the flashback thing with different actors playing him and his wife where they have sex for the last time. Maybe I shouldn't watch it honestly, as the "guy hitting above his batting average and fucking up" thing mentioned above would probably do me in.