DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules VI

Dolfan in NYC

I think in the back, pre-Show, Vince or Hunter, probably Vince, gave a speech about what "Extreme" really means and stated that whoever took the craziest bump was getting a 10k bonus.  They really went for it tonight.

I hope Drew won, his was ridiculously unnecessary!

This show had some ECW qualities to it. The Sheild six man could have been any number of matches held at the ECW Arena. Seth is insane. I was kinda blown away thinking about how Triple H is out in the middle of the crowd (out by the seats I saw Flair beat Sting for the title in 91) taking a dive from Seth Rollins from the lower mezaine.

I also really want to see Triple H vs. Ambrose. Let Triple H do his full on Ric Flair cosplay and Ambrose be Terry Funk.

Glad that Bad News Barrett is champion again. Big E might have a great personality and stuff, but they handcuffed him and wouldn't let him touch it and people just stop giving a crap about him.

I have to watch Bryan/Kane and the post show everyone's talking about. A lack of sleep on my part caught up to me right as the match was starting so thank God the network has everything on demand.

• Like 2

HHH making Bryan, Ambrose and Rollings look so good is really making it hard to hate him.

6 man was awesome. I don't know where the Shield goes from here, maybe back up for Bryan against THE DEMON KANE!!!

Overall, enjoyed the show.  I was ready to call it a home run going into the cage match, but that brought it down a little.  I did not enjoy the match itself, but loved the ending.  I'm not normally a fan of overbooked endings, but this one worked for me.  Might be because I like the Wyatts so I give them a pass, not sure.  Plus, the image of Rowan and Harper holding hands with the kid walking back toward the locker room was pretty cool.

The main even was kind of in the middle for me.  I liked it, they tried, but something seemed off.  Can't put my finger on it.

I loved Cesaro, Barrett and the six-man.  The six-man in particular had just a great aura to it.

WeeLC!  Loved that thing, too.  I can't believe I just typed that, but I did.

My Network feed was nearly perfect.  Lost connection for less than 30 seconds during the cage match and only had the 10-second rewind thing happen once (also during the cage match).  Enjoyed both the pre- and post-shows as well.  I'm looking forward to the studio show they've promised for the network.

Because we get one every week, I know that we take it for granted. I still have to ask: how great was that Heyman promo?

He turned an ECW rah rah speech into another plug for Brock ending the streak. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Great day in the morning, they ran with my press conference idea.   :lol:

This show was really great in spots and meh in others. Loved WeeLC just because they went 100% AAA with mini announcers, mini referee (Tirantites~!) etc. Six-man got REALLY great once Reigns tagged in and they brawled over the place, including Dean Ambrose's monster truck impression running over 2 announcer tables to take out Trips/Orton. I don't know if Reigns is ready for long singles matches, but he is so good at coming in and just wrecking dudes.

Cage match went way too long for my tastes. That said, I don't buy that they buried Wyatt with the way he won here- he's a maniac who doesn't give a shit about winning clean when he can have his flunkies take out Cena and fuck with his head to the Nth degree. He's doing it for the LOLZ, basically.

Kane/Bryan was laid out okay, but the post-match stuff had a real "The feud MUST CONTINUE!" vibe which I'm not sure anyone wants at this point. Also, I'm not sure everyone thought out that electrified TV spot- that could've ended REALLY badly for someone.

You ain't never been to anything in the IZOD Center, have you?  One of the easiest Arena's to empty actually.   And considering how shitty the lots and train stations at the Meadowlands are, if you don't run out, you're not getting out of there for another 2 hours.

Shh.... you are getting in the way of things for ebbie to be grumpy about

• Like 3

Isn't the press conference thing REALLY a steal from Evolve/DGUSA? They did that like 3 months ago. WWE IS COPYING THE INDIES!!!

Although, i'm sure the WWE style looks much more professional.

Isn't the press conference thing REALLY a steal from Evolve/DGUSA? They did that like 3 months ago. WWE IS COPYING THE INDIES!!!

Although, i'm sure the WWE style looks much more professional.

I'm guessing they were thinking more UFC/NBA Playoffs than independent wrestling.

I think one thing that would've added to Harper and Rowan continually stopping Cena from leaving the cage would be if Harper was saying something like "You can't escape. You must FACE HIM", so that rather than just trying to keep Cena from winning the match, they were instead trying to keep him in the cage to face Bray and face his fears instead of just walking away/escaping.

I was thinking/hoping that when the lights went out we'd see a new member of the family debut or something. Maybe somebody who used to have a connection to Cena like Zach Ryder or something. Somebody Bray has turned to his side. But then I realized that Zach Ryder in the Wyatt Family would've sucked.

• Like 1

Things I liked:

Lana

Lana's legs

Bad News Barrett

That motherfucking six man

Deadlift Powerplex

Paul being Paul

Things I didn't like

Big E having a six month title reign without a single meaningful fued

Evolution making my baby's mama uncomfortable

Cage match with massive amounts of interference

John Cena's horrible fucking acting

John Cena's horrible fucking acting again

Overbooked main event

RVD in what should have been the blowoff between Swagger and Cesaro

Felt like the last couple of weeks were out of sync. Seems like the crowd felt it too. That's the quietest Tri-State area crowd in recent memory. Hopefully they right the ship tonight.

Actually enjoyed the 3-way the opened the show. However, I seem to like RVD more than 95% of the internet. They need to decide whether Cesaro is a face or a heel. I can't follow where they are going with him other than being high on him. It's almost as if they want to have the big moment where Cesaro comes to his senses and turns on Heyman without actually making him a Heyman follower.

Barrett v. Big E is the best Big E match I can remember. Barrett just oozes charisma. Big E on the other hand is a black hole. I don't understand it. His stuff looks good. You expect him to slow and plodding but he's actually pretty agile. I think they need to figure out how to get him over instead of dumping a title on him.

Cena v. Wyatt was for the kids. Cena always walks the line of between being a children's act and an act that appeals to all ages. He has now drawn the Wyatts into this world. So many of the escape attempts in the match were contrived and ridiculous. There seemed to be many instances where Cena could've made his way down and chose not to because a Wyatt family member would be waiting for him. It took me out of the match. The match felt like it would've been great for a ten year old. Everyone else, not so much.

Bryan v. Kane was what it was. Nobody wanted to see Bryan v. Kane. Nobody understood why we were being force fed Bryan v. Kane. People like watching Bryan wrestle, not operate forklifts or other job place machinery. That being said, I was impressed by Bryans ability to locate a tire iron. If I'm ever in car trouble, I'll know just who to call (and it's not zack ryder who damn well almost got him and eve killed while he changed a flat). 

I was thinking/hoping that when the lights went out we'd see a new member of the family debut or something. Maybe somebody who used to have a connection to Cena like Zach Ryder or something. Somebody Bray has turned to his side. But then I realized that Zach Ryder in the Wyatt Family would've sucked.

This is my biggest problem with calling that ending a "diabolical plan." Turning someone like Cena Sr. or Nikki or Kofi against Cena would be diabolical. Introducing another sadistic monster after Cena had vanquished three already would be diabolical. A large group of children blocking the cage door would be diabolical. Hell, putting a Make-a-Wish kid in that spot would be diabolical. A single kid that no one knows with a voice modulator is not diabolical - it's silly. Undertaker and Kane get a little bit of a pass for the goofy SFX stuff because they're holdovers from a different era. New guys shouldn't be getting Black Scorpion/Hogan sees Warrior in the mirror spots in 2014.

• Like 1

Couple of things on the camera work in the 6-man:

Liked that they didn't show Rollins setting up his dives, so he seemed to fly in from out of nowhere both times.

Did not like that they cut back to the ring for a bit during the crowd brawl, which reminded us that Batista and Reigns were lying there doing nothing for a very, very long time.

If they're gonna do press conferences after "big events" or whatever they call them now, they should fly in a who's who of IWC dudes to ask the questions.

"The Masked Man, Grantland.com, for Triple H ..."

"Scott Keith with a question for Daniel Bryan ..."

• Like 1

Masked Man: Mr. Cena,was tugging on the beard of Mr. Erick Rowan and repeatedly slamming his head into to the top of the cage a post-modern take on the bearded hipster naysayers who frequently boo you and mock your act?

• Like 7

Liked that they didn't show Rollins setting up his dives, so he seemed to fly in from out of nowhere both times.

Did not like that they cut back to the ring for a bit during the crowd brawl, which reminded us that Batista and Reigns were lying there doing nothing for a very, very long time.

To be fair, Tista ate the Triple Powerbomb, a flat death move, and Reigns had taken a Pedigree and RKO in rapid succesion. I buy them playing dead that long.

• Like 1

Compare that to the moment when a dude brandishing a fire extinguisher suddenly appeared as Kane pulled out the table to set it on fire. Ray Charles could see that one coming.

• Like 3

Gotta hand it to Tamina. This was probably her best match yet and loved her channeling Cheerleader Melissa and tossing Paige into the barricade. The Diva Death-slot is usually a foregone conclusion but this was not a bad match at all. 

The more I think about the 6 man the less I like it, though it still is a pretty good match. The long Evolution heat segment was too long and way too resthold heavy for a six man. Mainly though, I really hate the gimmick where a brawl breaks out and the the guys in the ring just lay there for an inexcusable amount of time so that the cameras don't miss anything in the ring while they're focusing on the outside brawling. That's what happened with Reigns/Batista yesterday, and it was a pretty glaring flaw within the match for me.

• Like 1

Gotta hand it to Tamina. This was probably her best match yet and loved her channeling Cheerleader Melissa and tossing Paige into the barricade. The Diva Death-slot is usually a foregone conclusion but this was not a bad match at all. 

Yeah, I thought that match was a blast, actually. Tamina has really turned it around. I think she's been secretly very good in her role as AJ's muscle flunky. She looked like really good in this. Paige, of course, is pretty fantastic.

I'm really excited for the inevitable AJ vs. Paige match. I think that match has a lot of potential.

You know, WWE's hiring policy for the next 5 years should be "Is this dude, when put with two other dudes, going to have an awesome 6 man tag match with The Shield?" and if the answer is "yes", they should immediately hire them. Just keep throwing groups of guys into matches with those 3 and watch the money roll in.

• Like 2