DVDVR Message Board

Yesterday was the first day in a couple of weeks that I haven't devoted at least a couple of hours to GTA V.

I downloaded Game Dev Story on my android phone as it was the Amazon Free App of the Day. I had heard lots of stories of how addictive it could be and they all turned out to be true.

I DLed the game about 6:30 in the morning and played for probably 3+ hours straight before turning it off. I finished the game last night. Amazing fun.

I've never played a game on my phone for such a long period of time, so I probably accelerated my occular degeneration by doing so.

Outside of GTA V, I've been trying to finish up bits and bobs on Batman Arkham City.

Thinking strongly of picking up Skyrim Legendary Edition for PS3.

I'm finally getting down to the nitty gritty of Xenoblade Chronicles, 95 (!!!) hours later. I'm getting all the quests out of the way, but holy crap, the story sideswiped me thinking it was  near the end when that's actually when things just started getting going.

That being said, one of the more fulfilling gaming experience of my life. Absolutely incredible attention to detail.

Haven't player much stuff lately as I've been rally sick for the last week. But I did spend yesterday upgrading the hard drive in my PS3. Went from 120 to 500 gigs. The actual swapping of the drive took no time at all and was extremely easy. What took forever was the backup and restore of my existing stuff. First I had to clear off and reformat an external drive since the PS3 only recognizes FAT32 and not NTFS drives. That took a few hours. The backup itself took like 3 hours. Then had to download and run a system software update. That took another hour. Then the restore took another couple hours. After all that, the system booted up no problem and all my existing games were there so I was happy. I now have enough disc space to install several of the PS+ games I've had to ignore. Yay.

Haven't player much stuff lately as I've been rally sick for the last week. But I did spend yesterday upgrading the hard drive in my PS3. Went from 120 to 500 gigs. The actual swapping of the drive took no time at all and was extremely easy. What took forever was the backup and restore of my existing stuff. First I had to clear off and reformat an external drive since the PS3 only recognizes FAT32 and not NTFS drives. That took a few hours. The backup itself took like 3 hours. Then had to download and run a system software update. That took another hour. Then the restore took another couple hours. After all that, the system booted up no problem and all my existing games were there so I was happy. I now have enough disc space to install several of the PS+ games I've had to ignore. Yay.

What is a good hard drive to use and what cost did this entail? As we have discussed in the Ps+ thread, I'm due for an hd swap

Decided to play through Tomb Raider (2013) for PS3 (and prior to the upcoming next-gen version). I'm at the Somarii Fortress and at first, I really hated the game. I felt like it was trying to be every type of game and do everything (have collectibles, have a cinematic story with setpiece moments, RPG like levelling system, etc.)....but over time as I got further into this, I really dug it.

This is what Lost: The Video Game should have been.

Picked up Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: Between Worlds the other day.

Super Mario 3D World is a ton of fun.  I'm through about 5 Worlds, and while not especially hard, I'm dying my fair share and really enjoying the 3D elements.  The little propeller box levels can go fuck themselves though.  I'm terrible at controlling it.

Good to see someone else playing this, it's fucking phenomenal. The advertising for it focused so much on the multiplayer aspect that I was expecting more of a throwaway party game, but it's actually a proper successor to the Galaxies. I bought a Wii U for it as soon as the glowing reviews started coming out, and it's a great console. The screen-in-the-pad thing seemed like a pointless gimmick on paper, but is actually fantastic. I've never been enough of a perfectionist to try and 100% anything, but being able to replay SM3DW levels on the pad while there's football on the TV is the perfect way to keep plugging away at the harder to find green stars without needing to devote whole evenings to it. It'll probably given me ADD, but then so does everything these days. What's important is that I'm halfway through World 9 with 242 stars and counting, but was still able to sort of watch Swansea vs Hull. 

I was so confused by all of this before realizing I'm an idiot and the 3ds game I've been playing is Super Mario 3d LAND.  Makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks to my new 500 gig HDD in my PS3, I've got more disc space for games so I've added back some stuff I previously deleted.  One of those is Hard Corps Uprising.  I gave this a really quick try when it was made free on PS+ and uninstalled it almost immediately.  Gave it another try last night and was quickly reminded why I uninstalled it so quickly before.  For those that don't remember, it's basically a Contra game in all but name.  The graphics are cartoony and have a definite "arcade" feel to them while being more like PS2 quality than awesome PS3-level.  Anyway, this game is HARD.  I played 6 or 7 games last night - you get 3 lives + 3 continues on each, so 12 lives total - and never once completed the first stage.  If you're not dying because you missed a jump by leaping one pixel early (or because the double jump for reasons unknown didn't give you full distance like it should), you're dying because some guy you just shot fired off another bullet after being dead.  Or their bullet's trajectory changed.  Or the whole damn thing is just hard, even without any BS.  Heck, the easiest part of what I saw of the first stage was the mid-stage boss.  THAT guy was a piece of cake.  Good grief.  I'll give it more of a shot but this might just prove too frustrating for me.

That first level on Uprising is a long son of a bitch. I hated how it basically sprung a goddamned QTE on you twice. Play it in the Rising mode and get to the second level so you can cheese neverending robo-gators for tons of money so you can get all the useful upgrades.

I was in the verge of picking it up but then the spiffy next gen version was announced. I'll wait a little more...

Honestly, it's worth it for either current-gen or next-gen version. I got my PS3 version for $40, but I know I'm going to wait a bit before I get the PS4 version.

So, in being bored with SW:TOR and looking around, one of the guys in the office is a huge DDO guy, so I tried it out.  Its what I want from an MMO.  No need for grouping, system that I can acutally min/max if I want, no on-rails story, just basically wandering around town, talking to NPC's, and getting quests that are pretty much right next to said NPC.  All in all, pretty decent way to kill time waiting to make sure the boy's asleep for an hour or so when its my turn to put him down.

Amazon finally let me buy a download code for Mario RPG on virtual console so I didn't have to deal with that old time bullshit points system that I could never figure out how to completely zero out. 3DS and Wii U eShop are still basically lame but at least I can just use the exact amount of money I need on the damn thing.

WE PAID FOR THE DAMN SHIT

Picked up the Bit.Trip Saga anthology for 3DS for $11 off Amazon.  Runner is still pretty amazing, Core is still obnoxious, and Beat doesn't seem to play nearly as well with the analog stick as with the mouse on the PC.  You have to push it too far before anything registers, which makes it very difficult to get from point A to point B in time.  Something about the graphics conversion makes it more difficult for me to spot balls than in the PC version, too (and that's playing in 2D.)  Not sure if it's "just" the scaled down screen or if there's something in the background animation.

The other three games I'm experiencing for the first time.  Flux is just a prettier Beat played from the right instead of left, and has the same problems but sure is neat to look at (and the music is very cool).  Fate is pretty cool, a 2D rail shooter (in that your dude is on a rail and can only move "left" and "right" with vertical movement guided by the rail) where you use the touchscreen to aim guns.  It has Super Meat Boy as a helper drone, for some reason.  Void is the one that's the most fun on its own merits for me, but I'm so bad at it I never get anywhere.  Next to Runner (which has the unfair advantage of being Bit.Trip Runner, the game that ate like a billion hours for me when it was new) it's probably the one I've spent the most time with this week.

Alright, only thing I can knock Link Between Worlds on is that the last dungeon was short and just reused some bosses. Didn't feel very last level-ish. Really should've had sections for all the items.

Also, boomerang was completely unused by me.