DVDVR Message Board

For just being an alpha Starbound is already amazing.  The procedural generation work that the devs have done is top-notch and makes the exploration feel varied and rewarding.  It also has more clearly defined progression than Terraria did without it feeling too hand-holdy.  The combat is pretty blah and the mining/crafting isn't all there yet but I have faith in their ability to fix those.  Seriously worth the $15.

If you haven't played in that long, jumping in headfirst with X/Y will probably blow your mind. Like El Dragon said, look at HG/SS first - they're the remakes of Gold/Silver with better graphics. Will get you accustomed to new mechanics and such before X/Y fucks up everything you thought you knew.

My girlfriend played the first gen (Yellow and blue, I guess) obsessively. Was playing them again a few months ago and I got her Platinum. She powered through that and now is playing White.

The progress graphically is almost holding her back, oddly enough. That and not being familiar with the zillion new Pokemon in that game.

Think they'll ever do a Pokemon game with multiple save slots? I'd like to play them as well, but not enough to buy another copy!

I had no idea there were so many 3DS gamers around here.  I really need to comb through this thread to see what's good because Animal Crossing is starting to get a bit old and that's all I have.

I got WWE 2k14 and Madden 25 for my birthday so I've been playing those recently.  I didn't realize how little Madden I've played in the last couple years as I got beaten on PRO my first game against the Cardinals 21-7.  I used to be able to jump into All-Madden with no problem.  Stupid old age & decaying relexes.

WWE2k14 has been pretty fun.  Just finished WrestleMania mode the other day and I've been downloading CAWs to get started in Universe mode. 

I think I'm about done with GTA5.  After getting up to level 25 I think I can pretty safely say that online isn't really my thing.  I'll play around in single player missions awhile more but that's gonna get traded in soon for some 3ds games.

I also got one of those retro-systems that play both NES and SNES games so I'm gonna spend boatloads on old games on EBay in the near future.

So my copy of Dragon Age 2 hasn't been giving me any problems. And the game when it isn't being broken is... good. Like, really good. Anders is douchetastic, but I'm digging the rest of the allies, And my character has become damn powerful at level 11.

It seems Mages are overpowered this go around, but I won't play as one as Carver appears to be a bit of an ass, and I like Bethany.

Just finished The Walking Dead Telltale game season 1. Great ending. Has anyone played Demon's Souls for PS3? Any good?

Yes, it's one of my favorite games of the generation.  You will either love Demon's Souls or absolutely despise it.  There's very little middle ground.  It's hard as hell, but feels incredibly rewarding once you start figuring things out.

• Like 3

So my copy of Dragon Age 2 hasn't been giving me any problems. And the game when it isn't being broken is... good. Like, really good. Anders is douchetastic, but I'm digging the rest of the allies, And my character has become damn powerful at level 11.

It seems Mages are overpowered this go around, but I won't play as one as Carver appears to be a bit of an ass, and I like Bethany.

Mages are pretty insane in DA2, which kinda plays in to the plot in a lot of ways. There's a couple of achievements to get on Hard, and taking a couple mages with you makes them pretty easy.

Picked up Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: Between Worlds the other day.

Super Mario 3D World is a ton of fun.  I'm through about 5 Worlds, and while not especially hard, I'm dying my fair share and really enjoying the 3D elements.  The little propeller box levels can go fuck themselves though.  I'm terrible at controlling it.

So, as I'm winding down on Arkham Origins and GTA V, I want to go back and play something classic I missed.  I got two choices.  The Mass Effect Trilogy, or Skyrim.  Which one should I go for?

During the Black Friday sales, I went and got Far Cry 3 for $14.99 and Dishonored for $7.99 online at Best Buy.  I haven't gotten around to playing Dishonored quite yet, because I've been completely taken by FC3.  The three things I love about the game are the flamethrower, the way the driving (and crashing into other cars) feels (along with hunting animals with whatever vehicle you want) and taking over Outposts.

I've had two takeovers that I really loved.  One was the first one I got to do after the one they have you do in one of the first missions.  I was going to some outpost, I got down, took out that viewer thing to tag all the pirates, and then all of a sudden I hear this growl.  I look around, and there's a tiger not too far from me.  Not only did the thing not notice me, but when one of the pirates came around the back area of the compound (that was open to the forest) the thing just ran in and pounced on the guy, killed the two dogs that were guarding the place, and then killed the other rest of the guys in the compound.  It basically did all the work for me.  It was pretty amusing.

Then the second one I loved was just the other day.  I'm already on the second island so I'm pretty deep into the game.  I came to some compound, scoped out all the guards, wasn't quite sure how I was going to go about taking everyone out undetected.  I'm waiting by an open hole in the fence and there was a building in front of me with a guard on top.  Then all of a sudden I guess some of the Rakyat drove up, the gunfire starts and I just decided to get in there.  I got up on top of that building, did a takedown on the guard.  Whaddya know?  There's a mounted machine gun in front of me.  So I fired that thing up, took out the guy immediately in front of the building and the guard on top across the way, then I shot one of the exploding cans near one guy, and the one in the middle of, IIRC, two fuel pumps and took them all out and got credited for doing it undetected.

This game is pretty great.  I doubt it's an option, but I wish I could do all of the outposts over again from the beginning with all of the stuff I've gotten (eg. special moves & guns).

Just finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

It's not one of the best Zelda games ever made, but it's a very excellent game. A 'mediocre Zelda game' is still better than a lot of game series' best games.

Most of the dungeons seem a tad on the easy side, but the final dungeon (and ending) is worth it. Highly recommended for 3DS owners.

• Like 1

I doubt it's an option, but I wish I could do all of the outposts over again from the beginning with all of the stuff I've gotten (eg. special moves & guns).

I think they patched this in at some point, actually. Dig around the menus.

Just finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

It's not one of the best Zelda games ever made, but it's a very excellent game. A 'mediocre Zelda game' is still better than a lot of game series' best games.

Most of the dungeons seem a tad on the easy side, but the final dungeon (and ending) is worth it. Highly recommended for 3DS owners.

I've loved it, and am one portion of the final castle - I think - from finishing it, but it definitely lacks any sort of appreciable challenge for someone who's played a lot of overhead view Zelda.

I'm a little sad I'm already more or less finished. Guess I'll keep digging around for the maiamais and heart pieces, etc.

We finally replaced our long broken Wii, (used at GameStop, $40) which I promptly hacked - no sense in tracking down all the games I bought back then - and we are replaying Super Mario Galaxy 2 which is still amazing.

Picked up Super Mario 3D World and Zelda: Between Worlds the other day.

Super Mario 3D World is a ton of fun.  I'm through about 5 Worlds, and while not especially hard, I'm dying my fair share and really enjoying the 3D elements.  The little propeller box levels can go fuck themselves though.  I'm terrible at controlling it.

Good to see someone else playing this, it's fucking phenomenal. The advertising for it focused so much on the multiplayer aspect that I was expecting more of a throwaway party game, but it's actually a proper successor to the Galaxies. I bought a Wii U for it as soon as the glowing reviews started coming out, and it's a great console. The screen-in-the-pad thing seemed like a pointless gimmick on paper, but is actually fantastic. I've never been enough of a perfectionist to try and 100% anything, but being able to replay SM3DW levels on the pad while there's football on the TV is the perfect way to keep plugging away at the harder to find green stars without needing to devote whole evenings to it. It'll probably given me ADD, but then so does everything these days. What's important is that I'm halfway through World 9 with 242 stars and counting, but was still able to sort of watch Swansea vs Hull. 

• Like 1

Trying to play Tomb Raider (2013) and....why do people like this game?

Granted, I've pretty much tried to OCD collect all the little items and 100% all the sections I've done so far. But the combat with humans is just bad and I just don't get it.

I'm sure I'll like it more as I get further. I think.