DVDVR Message Board

The GTA games - and open world games as a whole - usually have a long tutorial period.  GTAV is at least better in this respect than many games.  Things do start picking up once Michael comes up as a playable character.

As much as I liked Sleeping Dogs, the story is derivative of a thousand similar Hong Kong gangster movies.  It's not original in the least.

As much as I liked Sleeping Dogs, the story is derivative of a thousand similar Hong Kong gangster movies.  It's not original in the least.

I took SD as an homage to Hong Kong gangster movies instead of attempting to do something new with the genre.

This week I went into hardcore gaming mode and made some mad progress in a few games. I was playing Legends of Wrestlemania and ran through most all of Legends mode with my Create-A-Legend Lex Luger. It was fun seeing him take revenge on Dusty Rhodes for crappy booking, Ric Flair for always one uping him at every big event in the late 80s-early 90s, Bret Hart, Yokozuna and Hulk Hogan for the Summerslam/WMX debacle. He really vented a careers worth of frustration in one week. The relive scenarios for WM mode can be difficult but I think I can get the plat in the next week.

When I was worn out from conquering Legends or trudging through Ni No Kuni I popped in Batman Arkham Asylum for the first time in ages. I have no idea why I stopped playing months ago but I absolutely flew through the game. In like two or three days my completion percentage went from 22% to almost 60%. I got the incredibly hard Party Pooper trophy for fighting the 16 guys at once near the end. I am now at the end boss and hope to beat it this weekend.

When I was worn out from conquering Legends or trudging through Ni No Kuni I popped in Batman Arkham Asylum for the first time in ages. I have no idea why I stopped playing months ago but I absolutely flew through the game. In like two or three days my completion percentage went from 22% to almost 60%. I got the incredibly hard Party Pooper trophy for fighting the 16 guys at once near the end. I am now at the end boss and hope to beat it this weekend.

I like reading about people's progress in the Batman: Arkham games. What do you think about the game? Have you played Batman: Arkham City?

I have traditionally not been a fighting game player. I am not into feeling like my fingers are about to fall off chaining together long combos, but Batman keeps things simple enough where this is not an issue. The hardest combat I have run into is the 16 thugs in a small hallway to get the Party Pooper trophy and the fact that I struggled with it makes me think the challenge modes will be a bitch.

I have not read the Arkham comic series so I was not aware of the story coming in. While the story is nothing groundbreaking, the characters are so well acted and engrossing that almost any story would have been fine by me. I loved the redrawing of Harley and Ivy making their appearance match their sexy vocal performance, while Croc and Bane are scary impressive. Scarecrow is menacing and his levels are fun to play, a nice break from the norm. My favorite character in Batman lore is The Joker and he is the perfect mix of goofy fun and evil maniac.

I still need to beat Joker in the final boss fight and all of the collectables, then since I am playing on normal (and am gunning for the plat) I need to beat the game again on hard. After that only the challenge mode will be left. I have been holding off of AC because I wanted to beat this game first. I will most likely move it to the top of the GameQ once I am at least on the challenge mode of AA.

I love this series and wish other superhero games were even close to the quality of this game.

• Like 1

Backlog is reaching levels of ridiculousness with While I split time between Madden and GTA 5. Just looked at my amazon account and realized Marvel Lego and WWE 2k14 will be arriving at my house within a week of each other.

Fuck...

Decided to go for a Platinum trophy in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune by doing Crushing mode. Having played BioShock Infinite and its 1999 Mode (for another Platinum trophy), Hard Mode seems pretty easy in comparison.

EDIT: Except for some parts at the end (the final chapter I got in one go since you can pretty much stand out of range), 7th Platinum trophy get!

GTA5 Update: Just finished the torture bit. I'm sure that's been beaten to death in the GTA thread so I'll summarize with two words: "Not Cool." Taking a break from it for a while.

PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION DX+ - it's on steam now. you should get it. it is like infinite sparklers with house music.

SHADOW WARRIOR: Conflicted. It's a total throwback FPS, right on down to multiple secrets, being scored at the end of every level, and slowly introducing weapons. I'm mostly enjoying it, but it will do three awesome things and then one really shitty thing, and so I don't have a great read on what I feel about it right now. This is the example I've been using with my friends.

-Finish first major boss fight, which leads to actual character development.

-Next world immediately introduces pretty major changes to how some enemies work.

-Game quickly introduces a new weapon which offers a new solution to the new problem they've just posed. Weapon is satisfying, upgrade options are funny.

-Next story point involves running into twin assassins with tight shiny body suits w/ chest windows who constantly coo at each other. When my character introduces himself, one says "he's not quite a genie but I'd still rub his lamp."

So yeah. I like playing it and I wish that they left all the gross out of their throwback formula. Wait for a sale.

I have traditionally not been a fighting game player. I am not into feeling like my fingers are about to fall off chaining together long combos, but Batman keeps things simple enough where this is not an issue. The hardest combat I have run into is the 16 thugs in a small hallway to get the Party Pooper trophy and the fact that I struggled with it makes me think the challenge modes will be a bitch.I have not read the Arkham comic series so I was not aware of the story coming in. While the story is nothing groundbreaking, the characters are so well acted and engrossing that almost any story would have been fine by me. I loved the redrawing of Harley and Ivy making their appearance match their sexy vocal performance, while Croc and Bane are scary impressive. Scarecrow is menacing and his levels are fun to play, a nice break from the norm. My favorite character in Batman lore is The Joker and he is the perfect mix of goofy fun and evil maniac.I still need to beat Joker in the final boss fight and all of the collectables, then since I am playing on normal (and am gunning for the plat) I need to beat the game again on hard. After that only the challenge mode will be left. I have been holding off of AC because I wanted to beat this game first. I will most likely move it to the top of the GameQ once I am at least on the challenge mode of AA.I love this series and wish other superhero games were even close to the quality of this game.

Good getting your take on the game. Hope you enjoy Batman: Arkham City as much. With you wishing other superhero games were even close to the Batman: Arkham series particularly for my second best superhero, Spider-Man. The fighting system and grapple gun could easily be used for Spidey.

Finally getting around to The Last of Us.  I got real lucky I'm used to stealth stuff just finishing Splinter Cell, because the lack of ammo makes this hard.  Finally figured out how to get around Clickers.

Its bad that while I stayed far the hell away from spoilers, I can see the ending coming and I'm only a couple hours into the game.

Of course, GTAV has been domingating my gaming time, but I needed something new for my phone since I finished Gangstar Vegas (which was pretty decent outside of the somewhat janky controls) so I picked up FIFA 14, which is free on the Google store.

Well, "free" is a relative term, because to get some of the modes, you have to pay $5, and to improve your team in the Ultimate Team mode it looks like there is a lot of stuff to spend real money on.

But the basic gameplay is alright.  The touch controls are a little weird at first, but I am able to consistently win games, though I have just been competing against scrub teams.  Graphics and sound are good too.

Finished The Walking Dead.  I have mixed feelings on it.  In general, the game is fantastic.  I love the art style, the writing is generally great, and the story is compelling.  I love that you can clearly see how your choices impact the game and that those decisions carry forward.  I do have some quibbles though - the lip sync for the characters is sometimes really bad and seems to get worse in later episodes.  There are times when you have to do things in a certain order to solve a puzzle and that involves going back to an item/spot you've already checked, only to have the item you need magically appear the second time.  At times, the pacing is a little too slow and drags. 

Anyway, like I said, those are quibbles.  Great game and can't argue with the price (thank you, free PS+ games!)  I won't say it's worthy of Game of the Year like it earned from some publications but it's really good.  8.5/10.

Tried the demos for FIFA 14 and PES 2014.  Liked FIFA a lot, PES, not so much.  The controls in PES felt goofy and the perspective is quite zoomed out with graphics that aren't that great.  The animation is OK, though.  Didn't much care for the gameplay.  Not a bad game by any means but....FIFA is a lot better.  Better graphics, better controls, better flow and feel.  If I'm buying one soccer* game, it's gonna be FIFA.

* - Notice I said soccer, not futbol or football.  Tabe ain't a soccer guy, that's for sure.  I know the rules but I hardly understand the nuances of the sport.  So keep that in mind when reading my above reviews of the two demos.

It gets easier once you get some upgrades.  To cheat a bit, you can replay the Bengazi mission like, 6-7 times (you get faster as you go) to get the hang of stuff, but also manage to get your 1st stealth suit upgrades, and buy the 5.7 with all the trimmings, the best goggles, and the sleeping gas gernades, and you're pretty much set for most of the rest of the game.

Only thing I hated about that new Splinter Cell was that there were only 3 movement speeds. The slowest one isn't slow enough. I originally beat the old games on fat Xbox and the analog movement was good. Then I replayed the first 3 on PC and the mousewheel movement speed was godly. Like holy shit. You never feel super duper sneaky when you're about to pounce on a dude on the new one. I thought it was just because I was going keyboard that I wasn't getting the full range. Nope. This is like when you replay Metal Gear Solid and realize that the analog didn't do shit.

Hahaha. I've got like five platinums, if that. The Ni No Kuni one wasn't so much hard as time-consuming. I basically just decided to not let the game beat me :-)