DVDVR Message Board

Just out of curiosity without going into spoilers, which of these games would you recommend to me.

L.A. Noire

Tomb Raider

Injustice: Gods Amongst Us

Haven't played the other two, but L.A. Noire was thoroughly enjoyable. Not without its flaws, for certain, but it's a damn good game.

I'm holding off on Tomb Raider when I can get it for $5 on a steam sale.

Picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) a week back at the TRU 3/$30 sale. The gameplay is pretty fun and I can absolutely see why this was a big deal. I'm about halfway through and haven't had any major meltdowns, yet. First game in a LONG time that I haven't read the instruction manual at all. Glad it was easy to pick up. Of course solving Riddler's puzzles might have been easier if I had done that first.

Also picked up Arkham City in the same deal, so I'll probably do them back to back if things go well.

The other game I picked up in the deal was F1 2010. Haven't cracked that one open yet.

Let us know what you think about both Arkham games. You might enjoy the Arkham thread here as well.

Picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) a week back at the TRU 3/$30 sale. The gameplay is pretty fun and I can absolutely see why this was a big deal. I'm about halfway through and haven't had any major meltdowns, yet. First game in a LONG time that I haven't read the instruction manual at all. Glad it was easy to pick up. Of course solving Riddler's puzzles might have been easier if I had done that first.

Also picked up Arkham City in the same deal, so I'll probably do them back to back if things go well.

The other game I picked up in the deal was F1 2010. Haven't cracked that one open yet.

Let us know what you think about both Arkham games. You might enjoy the Arkham thread here as well.

I've intentionally avoided that thread for fear of spoilers.

Really enjoy the gameplay, so far.

Haven't had a chance to play much in the last week or so, but I plan to do some catching up this weekend.

I've intentionally avoided that thread for fear of spoilers.

Really enjoy the gameplay, so far.

Haven't had a chance to play much in the last week or so, but I plan to do some catching up this weekend.

Now that you mention it, you do right in avoiding that thread.

I bought Gran Turismo 5 with the intension to get the platinum trophy for the game. It is an extremely difficult platinum to achieve but I knew going in that it would be a long grind. The way I am approaching this task is to get gold on all of the license tests before tackling the races. I had been rolling along pretty well until getting hung up on the B-7 test (there are 10 tests per license). Total play time for that one test closed in on 3 full hours. It is interesting to see how the game teaches you to race correctly. The biggest hang up I had was that, in a race, I would hop over the corners and not race through them correctly which you must do in the license tests. There is no telling how long the entire license process will take me before I start flying through the racing portion of the game.

Let me know when we get to the 2DSXL.  After seeing DSiXL and 3DSXL I don't think I could ever comfortably work with the smaller screens.

The 2DS is a no-frills SKU designed to get the price point as low as possible. Neither the regular DS or even the DS Lite had an XL version as that variation was exclusive to the all-the-trimmings Nintendo DSi so you may be a bit optimistic if you're waiting for some kind of specifically tailored bottom option / top option hybrid that presumably would be about the same price as the regular 3DS but have the XL's bigger screens with the 2DS's mono speaker or something.

I bought Gran Turismo 5 with the intension to get the platinum trophy for the game. It is an extremely difficult platinum to achieve but I knew going in that it would be a long grind. The way I am approaching this task is to get gold on all of the license tests before tackling the races. I had been rolling along pretty well until getting hung up on the B-7 test (there are 10 tests per license). Total play time for that one test closed in on 3 full hours. It is interesting to see how the game teaches you to race correctly. The biggest hang up I had was that, in a race, I would hop over the corners and not race through them correctly which you must do in the license tests. There is no telling how long the entire license process will take me before I start flying through the racing portion of the game.

I have avoided the GT series for awhile now ever since, I believe, the first one.  That game had a car in it that I owned in real life and it was a billion times harder to drive the car in the game than in real life.  As in stupidly so.  Gave up on it after that.

Let me know when we get to the 2DSXL. After seeing DSiXL and 3DSXL I don't think I could ever comfortably work with the smaller screens.

That was mostly a joke.The 2DS is a no-frills SKU designed to get the price point as low as possible. Neither the regular DS or even the DS Lite had an XL version as that variation was exclusive to the all-the-trimmings Nintendo DSi so you may be a bit optimistic if you're waiting for some kind of specifically tailored bottom option / top option hybrid that presumably would be about the same price as the regular 3DS but have the XL's bigger screens with the 2DS's mono speaker or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games

Sort of an obtuse wide net here, but any particular hidden gems in here? I've played FreeCiv and it's quite good as a free version of Civ II.

0 A.D. looks like it will be really neat if it is ever finished. OpenArena looks like it could be half decent. M.U.G.E.N. sounds like possibly the most DVDVRish piece of freeware ever.

M.U.G.E.N. sounds like possibly the most DVDVRish piece of freeware ever.

Tragically, someone already beat the internet to "best use of MUGEN." It's called SaltyBet, and it's basically dog-fighting betting on horribly unbalanced fighting game characters. I have been thinking very hard about whether or not to stand up for it when year-end things start, because I've certainly had more fun with it than most any "major" release.

seriously, at this point my top ten is nine indie games and Devil May Cry.

Back to playing ni no kuni. Just finished abracandleabra boss fight.

I love the names of these things. brilliance.

I reckon I'm about half way through the full game to be honest - level 30 odd with a fully upgraded orange knight type dude (called smitey)

I picked up Rayman Origins so I'd have something to play with my girlfriend while she recovers from surgery.  Holy cats, it's great.  The sprites and animation are gorgeous, although the controls feel a little floaty.  

I'm also playing through the GTA IV DLC for the first time before the new game comes out.  Ballad of Gay Tony is much more entertaining than the base game, although some of the missions are pretty padded with driving from place to place.  But I guess that's par for the course for GTA games.  At least it's big and colorful, something that was missing from the base game.  

Anybody playing Diablo 3 on the ps3? Curious to know how it plays. I liked the first Diablo on the ps1 - a LOT more than the PC version despite being slightly slower - and am hopeful this is similar.

I've heard so many bad things about diablo3 when people played it on the pc that I'm very wary of playing on the ps3. an isometric hack n slash rpg doesnt (in my opinion at least) lend itself to ps3 controllers. I prefer playing games of that ilk on the pc with a keyboard.

The PS1 version of Diablo worked surprisingly well with the controller.  I put a lot of hours into it, probably more than the PC version.  The only thing I didn't really like about it was that the load times were awful even by PS1 standards, so it was a pain in the ass when you wanted to warp to/from town.

I finished Saint's Row IV and so to bide time before GTA V comes out, I am playing Vice City Stories.  The graphics are rough, but I really like the story and I think the radio stations might even be better than VC.

I also donwloaded After Burner Climax on my phone.  It's not a bad version, especially for 3 bucks.  The load times kind of suck though.  It takes you out of a manic shooter mode if you have to wait for the next level to load.

Yeah, I ended up vastly preferring the console version of Torchlight to playing with mouse and keyboard, so I'll probably give Diablo 3 a try on PS3 once the price drops.  Using sticks and buttons felt more visceral somehow than then endless clickclickclickclick.

I'm being gifted a 40" HDTV just in time for GTAV and (later) basketball season.  It's a happy damn day in the Zimbra household.