DVDVR Message Board

So, this is less "What are you playing?" and more "What did you expect to be playing, but aren't?"  And the answer is "Flashback HD."  Jesus those reviews are heartbreaking; the whole thing appears to make Fade to Black seem not-so-bad in comparison.

So, this is less "What are you playing?" and more "What did you expect to be playing, but aren't?"  And the answer is "Flashback HD."  Jesus those reviews are heartbreaking; the whole thing appears to make Fade to Black seem not-so-bad in comparison.

Having played the demo, I'm glad that I didn't buy it. It's not very good.

Here's what I gotta say about 3DS.  The only game where the 3D sucks is NSMB 2.  The backgrounds just become blurry and it looks stupid.  Mario 3D land is fucking amazing and that is a fact.  Kid Icarus hurts my hand after a single level even with the stand.  Mario & Luigi is the greatest SNES game of all time.  The sprite animation on this fucker is goddamned amazing.  Like, holy shit.  Remember Xenogears?  Well what if Nintendo aped that type of sprite/3d background thing.  Woof.

eshop purchases for full retail games is pointless.  Like just recently the new Mario & Luigi game came out.  I could've got the fucker by fifteen after midnight on that sunday morning.  Problem was that it is 40 bucks for the digital version.  I can go to a god damned wal-mart and get the game, with a case and actual physical cartridge for the exact same price.  There is convenience but not anything that makes me actually want to pony up.  Pretty much the only other thing that actually looks good for download is that Shantae sequel on DSiware.  I keep eyeballing that Dillion's Rolling Western but then always get super turned off whenever I check out gameplay footage.  I really have never played any of these games that are called tower defense.  I recall that Assasins Creed Revelations shit was labeled such and I hated the shit out of that garbage.  Every youtube video I look at is a big open valley and then you run into enemies and have a really shitty Okami battle for 2 minutes.  Doesn't look good.

Oh, hold on, I bought Pushmo.  That game fucking rules outside of the part where when you first get the game you can't use QR codes for advanced puzzles.

Maybe I should mention I went and got a supercard asap.  I bought Mole Mania and Link's Awakening.  Then got DK94 with Club Nintendo points.  These official emulations have two good things about them.  They save state when you close them, then go right back to where you were upon resumption.  The cool 3D thing where they go native GB resolution and have a kinda sunken in GB screen with border is awesome, for about 5 minutes, then you go back to full screen.  But as soon as I loaded up Ghost Babel those days were over.  The GBA emulator is maybe 70% there.  Main thing is that I can have Fire Pro 2 on the big ass XL screen.  If I could just dump the save from my real cartridge with no hassle it would be a dream system.  Main thing is that I beat Musha while sitting in a car and it was amazing and I wasn't playing a Nomad.

Y'know what else would be cool?  If that FPR PS2 game they have for PS3 would play on a goddamned Vita.  I had a action replay max years ago that allowed me to keep every single PS2 save I ever had in perpetuity on emulators.  I had a goddamned ball adding in a ton of extra dudes and converting my JPN save to a US one.  Oh, I would totally be getting a Vita if Fire Pro was on it.

I really want to get one of those eBay Wii U deals where it's super cheap and doesn't have the gamepad.  I really want to play that new Mario Land that's coming out in a few months.

Also,  I better be playing GTA V next week.

Well Deadpool can officially go fuck itself. Been killed by the fight where you face a bunch of Mr Sinister clones 10 times in a row. On to something that won't piss me off.

• Like 1

So I decided to have a stab at one of my oldest and dearest pastimes, Football Manager. I haven't bought one since 2011 so I picked up the demo and started playing. After a pretty rough start we've gone on a fantastic run and are now sitting joint top of the premier league. Problem is the demo expired mid jan (no surprises) and the full game is £30. I can't really justify paying that when the new one comes out in what, a month?

But I really need to finish this season!

So the Flashback remake is not only a buggy piece of shit where I got stuck in the fucking floor, in part of the level where you're supposed to go, on the first fucking level- but they even fucked up the original version of the game that comes with it.

Stay away

So I decided to have a stab at one of my oldest and dearest pastimes, Football Manager. I haven't bought one since 2011 so I picked up the demo and started playing. After a pretty rough start we've gone on a fantastic run and are now sitting joint top of the premier league. Problem is the demo expired mid jan (no surprises) and the full game is £30. I can't really justify paying that when the new one comes out in what, a month?But I really need to finish this season!

It goes on sale for less than ten Yankee dollars from time to time on Steam. If you have an account, you can add it to your wishlist and they'll notify you when it goes on sale. Unless you're like me and once you get hooked, you buy it and all common sense disappears. 2014's big features are pretty disappointing for me. Might be the first one since '09, I think, that I don't purchase. At least until it goes for hella cheap.

They make you play on a shitty arcade cabinet with no option to change it. Rain pours in the background constantly, distracting as fuck.

They cut out all the music in the cutscenes, which is all of the music In the whole game

Controls are set up really weird

Yeah the micro-resolution is garbage, I didn't notice the rain though. I knew that something was odd with that cutscene but couldn't tell why.

What I noticed right away with the controls was that I couldn't do the run+jump and have Conrad jump automatically and grab ledge. Lame.

I am playing Madden 25, for playing Madden in late August is what I do.  But getting the streaming version of NFL Ticket for only $40 was sweet, and I think that reviewers... didn't really play the game much or only play on the easiest difficulty.  It is far from perfect, but if you up the difficulty it is not nearly as easy as some reviewers seem to make it sound.  Complaints in most reviews mentioned how easy it was to run and I can envision them playing on Rookie with AD, confused on why they get 40 yards on every play.  Also so nice to have the real Franchise mode back since I am an offline player.

I thought the secret was that everybody was buying Madden to get that Sunday Ticket shit and then just going to best buy cause they have a flat $45 dollar trade in rate until October 5th.

I am sure lots of people are doing that.  Hell I am sure that Ebay is flooded with Madden 25 games right now.  I have no idea how that promotion made sense, especially considering it may be DirecTV's last year with the NFL Ticket so they can't even hope to "hook you" so you come back next year.  My theory is they will still use the same servers so the streams will be really shitty and low quality.

I read somewhere that NEXT year is DirecTV's last with NFL Sunday Ticket.

Also, I think a lot of people doing the DirecTV/Madden thing don't realize that it's the mobile/PC version of the service and not something through their TV.

Just out of curiosity without going into spoilers, which of these games would you recommend to me.

L.A. Noire

Tomb Raider

Injustice: Gods Amongst Us

Depends on what you want.  If you love fighters that use the latest Mortal Kombat engine, then Injustice.

Story/gameplay, I would recommend Tomb Raider in a heartbeat.