DVDVR Message Board

Started Castle of Illusion last night. It logs gorgeous but the controls are ever-so-slightly imprecise. I've missed a lot of jumps and died in places where I shouldn't. It doesn't help that my platformer skills have rotted from lack of use.

I don't really get Minecraft. So you create something then what? Just show it off? There is a Minecraft kiosk in the local mall. Seems like the newest gaming fad that will go the way of Guitar Hero.

Yep and you explore the world to find other things to use to build other things. I think part of the in enjoyment of Minecraft is that its a true sandlot you can do what you want how you want.

Minecraft is a survivalist zen garden with randomly generated dungeons. There is an ending, and it's really hard to get. It takes a lot of effort, and a good amount of luck. If you don't want to beat the game, there's plenty else to do. Success in the game is entirely subjective to what you define success to be.

like, what is there to be missed here

I have zero interest in Minecraft for similar reasons, but at this point 'fad' should be a compliment because in gaming circles it seems to exclusively be used to describe games that have outsold and outlasted every AAA effort of the generation.

• Like 1

Gamefly shipped Injustice Ultimate edition for my PS4 last night. I blew through the story mode in a couple of hours. It's a fun enough game with a story that works within the structure even if the battle sequences all play out the same (fight two random characters, a hated rival, and your doppelganger).

I am not sure how much more of it I will play. Fighting games seem to have a limited life span with me. This one was much easier to play using the directional pad than it was using the thumb sticks

I played XCOM: Enemy Within all night last night. Until I got to this crazy mission in a fishing village where Chryssalids wiped out all my best soldiers and MECs. I'm gonna re-try that mission today, because I cannot continue in the game with all those guys dead.

I played Enemy Unknown a ton for a few days then got slaughtered on my first panic mission (just like last night) and gave it up forever. But I'm being smarter this time. I got laser weapons for all my guys, plus the MECs make things easier.

Trying to play Tomb Raider (2013) and....why do people like this game?

Granted, I've pretty much tried to OCD collect all the little items and 100% all the sections I've done so far. But the combat with humans is just bad and I just don't get it.

I'm sure I'll like it more as I get further. I think.

I got this cheap on Black Friday and just started playing it today.

I'm really liking it so far. I mean, it's not going to win any originality awards or anything, but I think it stitches together a patchwork of UNCHARTED and something like ASSASSIN's CREED pretty competently.

I have way, WAY too many games to play.

Along with the usual FM14 stuff, within the last 10 days I've purchased, thanks to the various holiday sales:

Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition

Dominions 4

Warhammer 40K Space Marine

The Bureau (Xcom declassified)

Steam Marines

Pac Man CE DX+ (on PC)

Racing Manager

Bioshock Infinite

Space Hulk

Speedball 2 HD