DVDVR Message Board

I picked up Omerta: City of Gangsters in the Steam sale, which is a game from the people who do the Tropico games. Not exactly like Tropico though, in that obviously you don't build a city so much as a criminal empire in Atlantic City. And then there's a really simplistic turn based strategy bit when you get into a fight with rival gangsters which is alright, but after playing XCOM it does feel a bit hollow. But I guess that's a harsh measuring stick to hold it against. But it's been alright so far, enjoyable enough.

Also put a few hours into Europa Universalis Rome, an older game from the guys who made Crusader Kings II, set during the Roman Republic. Mainly just because I've been on a bit of a binge reading a fair amount of fiction set in the final years of the Republic & early years of the Empire so fancied loading it up. Must admit, it really doesn't hit the highs of CK2 unfortunately. Still, satisfying enough, there's decent ideas there but the history nerd in me finds it a tad annoying that there's only 1 Consul & he rules for 2 years for example. A more accurate representation of the senate & magistrates would be more appealing to me personally. I'm in it for the politics as much as the civilising barbarians.

So, finally got around to Tomb Raider.

Game was fucking awesome.  It played like the best version of Uncharted eve,r but the story was outstanding.  Made me want to push through and keep on playing until it was over.  The story gave such a sense of urgency that I missed a lot of side stuff.  So now there's that to go through and find.  Perhaps play again on hard mode or whatever.  But an awesome game.

For some reason, tonight I find myself playing the version of Bit.Trip Runner contained in Retro City Rampage.  I really have no desire to play RCR again, but I was in a Runner mood and vaguely annoyed at Runner2 from a few weeks back, so that's the version I'm playing tonigght.

The announcement of the new Strider game has me busting out Moon Diver as well.  Still bitter I never got to play it online.

Been playing a lot of Torchlight 2. Crazy fun game so far. A lot like Diablo 2 more so than Diablo 3 was. I have a level 29 berserker on veteran difficulty that is tearing through shit. I still die from time to time but the game is still tons 'o' fun!

Been playing a lot of Torchlight 2. Crazy fun game so far. A lot like Diablo 2 more so than Diablo 3 was. I have a level 29 berserker on veteran difficulty that is tearing through shit. I still die from time to time but the game is still tons 'o' fun!

The first game was a blast, too. Definitely need to get some money for this one. Can never have too many hacknslash clones.

Bought San Andreas during the summer sale and I'm having tons of fun. First GTA game that I own apart from GTA IV, the lack of auto-saving and GPS is annoying as fuck.

Yeah, you do want to save after every mission.

I'm not sure what you mean by lack of GPS, do you mean the voice that told you when to turn?  I found that awful and not useful.  You can mark points on the map and it will appear on your mini map though.

FYI there are some weapon pickups near CJ's house that really help out early on in the game.  I also recommend doing the bike or treadmill at the gym so you can sprint longer.  Getting 100 fares in the taxi will get nitrous on all taxis, which is pretty useful and it will raise your driving skills so you're not spinning out after every turn.  There is also a horse betting shop that can get you a lot of money.  Save before you go in, bet all your money on the 12 or 13 to 1 horse, save if you win, reload if you don't.  You can quickly earn a few million dollars this way, more than enough to buy all the properties and ammo as you need it.

And get ready to feel the seething hate for Zero ;)

I really wish the GTA trilogy on Steam had full controller support. I want to play them all again (especially Vice), but its tough without a controller or a way to set up (in my personal case) a proper mouse/keyboard platform.

I really wish the GTA trilogy on Steam had full controller support. I want to play them all again (especially Vice), but its tough without a controller or a way to set up (in my personal case) a proper mouse/keyboard platform.

I played 3, VS & SA all on PC. The only control difficulty I remember have was with the bloody flying. Still have nightmares about that.

I played 3, VS & SA all on PC. The only control difficulty I remember have was with the bloody flying. Still have nightmares about that.
I'm sure keyboard/mouse work fine, but my laptop setup doesn't really leave me any sort of space to use a mouse. I have the same issue with all action games on PC currently.

Not a good week for EA Football games. First the NCAA announces they were withdrawing their license (forcing a re-brand and making it harder for next year's college football game), and now on the pro side, they're on the hook for AT LEAST $11 million from losing in a lawsuit from the original creator of John Madden Football.

http://kotaku.com/jury-rules-for-original-madden-developer-in-lawsuit-aga-889185198

I only played GTAIII on PC, but I used a cheapie digital pad (basically a PS1 knockoff) and then used the mouse for aiming the sniper rifle.  It actually made the sniper missions like Bomb Da Base really easy.

I just got past that mission in the Android version.  This game is glitchier than the Android version of Vice City, but it's still very playable.  I don't think the Dodo will by flyable at all in it though.

I finally finished donwloading my PSN stuff onto my new PS3 so I'm ready to start playing on it soon.  I can't really go back to Dark Souls at this point so I think I will start up the copy of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood that's been sitting around for a couple of months.

The first game was a blast, too. Definitely need to get some money for this one. Can never have too many hacknslash clones.

I wasn't really feeling it with Torchlight 1 until I made an Alchemist Summoner and started melting the game at every turn, then it was like "hey this is pretty damn fun suddenly".

Made it to act 3 last night on my berserker. The game is fun. I haven't found a game that I might die here and there and still get the feeling I do with this game. Usually on hack 'n' slash games if I die a lot or some of the time it is deflating and I go off to another game for a bit. This game though has me pushing right through.

I started playing through WWF Smackdown 2: Just Bring It again because I loved that game.

It holds up okay, I really miss the strategy that HCTP offers (which is where I stopped with WWE games), but the season mode goes on forever and it is super easy to setup contenders for each title, and I like the defined divisions. I don't like, however, how the game will still keep the original main-eventers at the top of the card and in all of the cut scenes. Like, I'm sure that HHH and The Rock have an engaging feud going on for whatever reason, but I'm trying to establish TAKA as my ace and champion and damned if the game is just not having it.

I just need to make the Jeff Jarrett they left in the game through the CAW mode and squash everyone with the Stroke.