DVDVR Message Board

The PS1 version of Diablo worked surprisingly well with the controller.  I put a lot of hours into it, probably more than the PC version.  The only thing I didn't really like about it was that the load times were awful even by PS1 standards, so it was a pain in the ass when you wanted to warp to/from town.

Yeah, I ended up vastly preferring the console version of Torchlight to playing with mouse and keyboard, so I'll probably give Diablo 3 a try on PS3 once the price drops.  Using sticks and buttons felt more visceral somehow than then endless clickclickclickclick.

That's exactly why Diablo on the PS1 worked so well.  Instead of having to constantly click on the screen to make your guy move, you just pushed a stick.  Easy shortcuts for potions and stuff right on the buttons.  I expect Diablo 3 to be more of the same and will definitely give it a shot.  Probably not for $60 though :)

Downloaded the demo for Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and gave it a playthrough.  As you'd expect, the graphics are gorgeous.  The original was a beautiful game and this one does a good job of capturing that feel with an updated look.  The controls are unchanged from the original - jump and shoot, that's it.  I had a bit of trouble judging jumping distances and ended up missing a bunch of jumps.  Some of that is that I don't play platformers much anymore, some of that is probably the game itself.  Having thought about it some, though, it's pretty close to how the original game played.  Inertia IS a bit overdone, however, and that gets annoying.  I will likely pick this up at some point, just not sure I want to spend $15.  Maybe they'll discount it on PSN in a few months.

Eurogamer gave it a 7/10 and says the game is hard.  If that's true, that would be interesting as the original was criticized (or praised) as being really easy (which it was).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review

Got Rogue Legacy a couple of days ago. . .was 25% off on Steam, so I got it for $11.24.

This is an incredibly great game for the price. You tend to get your ass kicked a lot, particularly in the early going, but it's a lot of fun.

So I gave up on The Last of Us.  I found the "30 seconds of action, 3 minutes of cutscene" too much to take.  And I didn't care for the gameplay itself.  I'll be trading this in and maybe eventually I'll re-buy it but I doubt it.  Literally every single time I played the game, I'd play for maybe an hour and it felt like 3 or 4.  Not a good sign at all.

So now I'm back to The Walking Dead.  I completed the first two episodes back when those were free on PS+ and grabbed the last 3 when those were free on PS+ but am just now playing them  I liked the first 2 eps very much and am enjoying the third now, too.  Good stuff.

After that, probably Tomb Raider but maybe Sleeping Dogs.

The Walking Dead is interesting because it is both the easiest game on Playstation yet is still a must play. Just great stroytelling.

I beat the story of Sleeping Dogs and was going to attempt to plat the game but I am missing one Jade Statue and it is not at spot where I thought the last statue is located. I lost all motivation when I did not find the statue and it may be awhile before I work up the motivation to figure out if I was simply wrong or if the game is bugged.

Finished my B license on Gran Turismo 5 and am up to the 8th level of the A license. This game is so very hard, but is a lot of fun. If I were to finish the game it would be the platinum trophy I would be the most proud of.

I have a Steam key for Crusader Kings 2 burning a hole in my account that I gotta get rid of.  First person to DM me gets it, so long as you agree to 1) Actually play it and 2) Tell us about the misfortunes you get into.  That went fast.

I also have a key for Europa Universalis 3, which is good if far less entertaining than CK2.  Claimed!

So I gave up on The Last of Us.  I found the "30 seconds of action, 3 minutes of cutscene" too much to take.  And I didn't care for the gameplay itself.  I'll be trading this in and maybe eventually I'll re-buy it but I doubt it.  Literally every single time I played the game, I'd play for maybe an hour and it felt like 3 or 4.  Not a good sign at all.

This makes me sad. :(

Blasting through SR4, but most of my gaming time is spent with Puzzle & Dragons. I hate match-3 games, so why am I pumping so much time into this? It's like bejeweled meets RPG meets Pokemon. Way too addicting...

So I gave up on The Last of Us. I found the "30 seconds of action, 3 minutes of cutscene" too much to take. And I didn't care for the gameplay itself. I'll be trading this in and maybe eventually I'll re-buy it but I doubt it. Literally every single time I played the game, I'd play for maybe an hour and it felt like 3 or 4. Not a good sign at all.

This makes me sad. :(
Considering how stoked I was for the game, it makes me sad, too.

Blasting through SR4, but most of my gaming time is spent with Puzzle & Dragons. I hate match-3 games, so why am I pumping so much time into this? It's like bejeweled meets RPG meets Pokemon. Way too addicting...

Also blasting through SR4. This is slowly taking over as my GOTY. The last mission I just did was surprisingly sad.

The biggest complaint I have heard about SR4 is that it is really really easy once you level up. I respect Poe's opinion more than the major website reviews  so I am glad that even if it is easy it is still fun.

Going to be getting Two Worlds II in the mail next week. It was far down in the queue so I was surprised to see it on the way. Right now I have this and Ni No Kuni out. Some games I am fine with just beating the story and sending back, but in the case of Ni No Kuni anything short of the platinum trophy is an utter failure. It is such a great game to play, one where you sit down for an hour and four hours later you are still playing. Hopefully all JRPG's are somewhat like this.

Just finished SR4.  Final mish is pretty awesome, but the ending is utterly mystifying in some ways.  I think we all knew as soon as we saw the tracklist what would take the "Holdin' Out for a Hero" slot for final stage theme song, but I for one was not expecting Zinyak and President Boss to deliver quotes.

I really don't understand what they can do after this.  There seems no way they can possibly do an SRV...and I am pretty okay with that, honestly.

The biggest complaint I have heard about SR4 is that it is really really easy once you level up. I respect Poe's opinion more than the major website reviews  so I am glad that even if it is easy it is still fun.

Going to be getting Two Worlds II in the mail next week. It was far down in the queue so I was surprised to see it on the way. Right now I have this and Ni No Kuni out. Some games I am fine with just beating the story and sending back, but in the case of Ni No Kuni anything short of the platinum trophy is an utter failure. It is such a great game to play, one where you sit down for an hour and four hours later you are still playing. Hopefully all JRPG's are somewhat like this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on that.

Yeah, I'm playing on Normal and I'm pretty much maxed out when it comes to upgrades so it is way too easy at times. Basically you can run around at light speed and barely get damaged. The side activities are a bit tricky however and some of the harder ones are a pain.

But still, the amount of collectibles in the game is just amazing -- I've spent most of my playthrough flying around and getting data clusters, Zinyak statutes and audio logs.

Just finished SR4.  Final mish is pretty awesome, but the ending is utterly mystifying in some ways.  I think we all knew as soon as we saw the tracklist what would take the "Holdin' Out for a Hero" slot for final stage theme song, but I for one was not expecting Zinyak and President Boss to deliver quotes.

I really don't understand what they can do after this.  There seems no way they can possibly do an SRV...and I am pretty okay with that, honestly.

Yeah, story-wise thus far it feels like a 'final game' in the overall series. I just did the Shaundi loyalty mission and the story took a direction I wasn't expecting. If there is a "Saints Row V," I hope that it's a reboot of sorts.

So now I'm back to The Walking Dead.  I completed the first two episodes back when those were free on PS+ and grabbed the last 3 when those were free on PS+ but am just now playing them  I liked the first 2 eps very much and am enjoying the third now, too.  Good stuff.

After that, probably Tomb Raider but maybe Sleeping Dogs.

The gameplay for The Last Of Us takes a LOT to get used to. It is almost like the first Resident Evil but with Resident Evil 4 gameplay if that makes any sense. It's more of a slower paced game and conserving resources is big with the game.  I managed to beat it on Hard and trust me when I say this -- you will not be disappointed. I didn't like the gameplay at first either, but it slowly grew on me. A lot of people I know hated the ending, but I absolutely loved it.

Still playing a lot of Torchlight 2. 

Also started playing Mirror's Edge. Decent game so far. 

I need to go back and finish Deus Ex:HR. How much of a hinderence is it if I use guns and non kills? Or should I pick one and stick with it? Through the first part, still on the first quest after getting out of the building at the begining of the game, and still haven't killed anyone yet.

Repeating the Saints Row love. I just finished last night and it's striking me as the best one. I like the way they handle the sidequests but it still struggles to alleviate some of the tedium with them, especially toward the end but, the main story missions are absolutely hilarious and really give you a lot of toys to have fun with. I'd recommend playing through it with Nolan North voicing The Boss as his Sterling Archer-inspired line readings are excellent. The reason all the lunacy works is that they treat their own backstory and universe completely seriously and it means you get hooked into it, despite all their admissions of shaky storytelling. Favourite mission is probably Saints of Rage.

Saints Row IV keeps getting better and better. GTAV will have to do a LOT to top this.

The game is very fan service-y for SR fans and the story is a lot better than I thought it would be. Shaundi's storyline is surprisingly nuanced and sad. Kinzie's speech before rescuing Johnny Gat is also touching. I said on my Backloggery page that Saints Row IV is a Dr Who story with Persona 4 like characterization and GTA open world gameplay.

And although the console version isn't very good, I will double dip on this for the PS3 when it gets to be cheaper. That's how good the game is.