DVDVR Message Board

I've never owned a PS1 or a PS2, but the PS3 made me a fan of Naughty Dog, so I've recently purchased the Jak & Daxter Trilogy for the PS3.

I've already played and liked the first Jak & Daxter; not as much as any of their PS3 games, but it was good.

But now I'm playing Jak & Daxter 2, so could anyone please tell me what the fuck they were thinking, when they released this broken mess of a game?

This has to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a game. I've just reached the point, where I just wanna quit and move on to the next one.

Please tell me the third game is better.

The first Jak & Daxter is so underrated. It's a nice slice of Mario 64/Banjo-Kazooie platforming.

I've finally beaten Jak II recently and I concur. It's just awful. I actually had to take a break from games after beating it, that's how bad it was for me.

After you've beaten Jak II, Jak 3 will seem so much easier.

Still playing Torchlight 2. Now with MODS! Though the only mods I use are the respec/stat point potion one, the 5 minute buff duration and loot enhancer which gives you better loot but just slightly. Actually I haven't seen a huge difference in getting uniques except getting a vendor boon scroll. 

Between that game I've been playing the last humble bundle games. Mostly just Dead Island and Sacred 2. I tried the first Risen and for some reason after a few minutes of playing I always get the dreaded BSOD. Only ever with that game. I can play DE:HR , Borderlands 2, Witcher 2 with no problem but fuck Risen and whatever problem it has me playing it.

Now with the boat load of games on back log that I've just dabbled in I bought the recent humble bundle and payed the average to get The Sims 3 starter pack and Battlefield 3. Going to start up a Sims 3 game with my daughter tomorrow night. 

I was recently investigating the Jak and Daxter series because Naughty Dog are building a great rep but I have a personal intolerance for the kind of moviegames their seventh gen works falls into. After some research the first game was going to be my choice but turns out ND have been going down their current route for a while as they purposely excluded the option for subtitles on the grounds that they would stop the 2001 PS2 platformer being 'cinematic' enough. Ended up settling for 3.

Picked up House of the Dead Overkill on my phone. It's a pretty good translation, though I do miss the cheesy voiceovers and cutscenes from the Wii version. It also sucks that you have to pay another 2 bucks to get the last level.

I grabbed MAX PAYNE 3 and just finished it, better than all the other Payne games. It was brand new at Wal-Mart for $20 so I luckily had the exact amount of change.

A few weeks before, I'd stopped by one of the REDBOX machines and they had NOTHING to rent(well they had MLB 13 which I'd LOVE to play but my PS3 still has UNCHARTED 3 stuck in it, so no go there). With all the PS3 games out of the picture I checked the double RedBox machine for anything of worth on the 360...low and behold the NEW TOMB RAIDER. I was is so against renting it because I'd been so bored with their last few efforts but LUCKILY I gave it a shot and I was blown away with how much FUN that game turned out to be. Very satisfying indeed.

Then I used my remaining X-Box Points to download the WALKING DEAD 400 DAYS. I even called X-Box(since my Gold membership ran out a few months back) to make sure that I DIDNT NEED THE ORIGINAL WALKING DEAD SEASON 1GAME in my disc tray to play it. Welp, the Tech guy conferred with his genius manager and he told me no-as long as I had some sorta save from the first series I should be fine and if not I could download the SEASON ONE TRIAL VERSION for FREE and that'd upload all the saves I'd had on SEASON ONE.

HE WAS WRONG!!! Everytime I got killed in 400 DAYS the screen would turn black as if it were loading but stay that way for hours. So now I guess I'll have to buy SEASON ONE EPISODE ONE to make my saves load up and make playing 400 DAYS more fun than it already is(cause it's a quick lil' blast). Because with the new characters and madness that abounds, I can't wait to see how my choices effect EVERYONE on WALKING DEAD: SEASON TWO.

So I found Kung Fu Panda downstairs while rummaging thru some stuff and I started playing it(I checked the reviews on it from when it was released and it recieved GREAT REVIEWS) and it's a heckuva lot of fun to play especially when you've got a young girl like me who likes to watch what I play. I'd recommend this game as well.

Now, only if SCRIBBLENAUTS would be released on 360/PS3(and their next of kin) I'd be super stoked as it'd help my baby girl with her spelling, imagination, etc. And Dad loves the hell outta the game! And I've only played the original, I just found out they are released a SCRIBBLENAUTS/DC UNIVERSE combined game...now how cool is that folks?!

I'm outta here like Vladmir,Hope to read some more "whatcha playing" soon,

-DamnNearFonzie

Picked up Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3) a week back at the TRU 3/$30 sale. The gameplay is pretty fun and I can absolutely see why this was a big deal. I'm about halfway through and haven't had any major meltdowns, yet. First game in a LONG time that I haven't read the instruction manual at all. Glad it was easy to pick up. Of course solving Riddler's puzzles might have been easier if I had done that first.

Also picked up Arkham City in the same deal, so I'll probably do them back to back if things go well.

The other game I picked up in the deal was F1 2010. Haven't cracked that one open yet.

Guest The Magnificent 7

My favorite character in State of Decay and the one you start with, Marcus, just took a dirt nap.  I was down to just fisticuffs after my lead pipe broke and was out of shotgun shells.  I crashed my damn truck in a ditch running over zombies and decided to go for home because I'm low on health and fatigued after saving yet another fellow survivor.  All of a sudden this feral zombie bumrushes me and like a moron I panic and hammer the A button instead of the B button. 

Game only has autosaves so you can't get around it.  So long Marcus, you were a zombie destroyer there for a while and Maya has some big shoes to fill.  Sure as fuck ain't going to be your fishing buddy Ed as he's useless.  Actions have consequences in this game so you better do some risk assessment constantly. 

Beat Etrien Odyssey IV earlier in the week. I dug the advancements in the game even if this was a little on the easier side compared to the last two games. Pretty fun overall though its been a while I haven't beat an RPG this fast (around a month).Rented Tomb Raider a few days ago and had a blast playing it. The story and gameplay feels a little cruel at times, but the controls were nice and I adapted to them faster than usual. This was my first Tomb Raider game, and I loved it. I particularly love how the story seems to be about Lara growing and toughening up into the badass I expect future sequels will have. Turned it in today, but I will definitely be playing it again at some point in the future.

I have beaten Sleeping Dogs, all that is left is cleanup for the platinum trophy. Working on Saints Row III and Gran Turismo 5.

I enjoyed the racing on Sleeping Dogs that I was inspired to buy a racing game and there is no better game to get than GT5. An issue for me is that I bought GT5 XL Edition for $20 new because it supposedly had DLC included. It turns out the DLC codes are no good because they expired over a year ago and were only good for a MONTH!! $20 is still not horrible and I would have spent about the same to buy the standard GT5 game off of Amazon once shipping is factored in.

I liked playing the kart racing shit in GT5. I didn't like all the goddamned insane Neo Geo CD loading times. Even after you did the 54 minute full installation. Was that shit ever cleaned up? 'Cause, god damn. Woof.

Also, I thought this Dragon's Crown thing was a dumb Guilty Gear fighting game. Instead it's this insanely good beat 'em up RPG like old D&D arcade games and Knights of the Round on SNES. Holy shit this game is a motherfucker.

The load times are a bitch at times. I am going through the licenses aiming for gold, and once the scenario is loaded the first time replaying it requires no loading time at all. But it is so worth it because the GT series is the greatest racing series hands down. I went out and got the cheaper 5 but 6 will be released by the end of the year.

I am looking to get Dynasty Warriors: Gundam for the XBOX 360 , because A)  It is Dynasty Warriors engine with tons of fighting and Giant friggin Robots!  What does everyone think of this game ?  Just curious for the input

So the combination of the price drop and display of indie games convinced me to order a Vita. I got the bundle that comes with Unit 13, a year of PSN+, and a 4GB memory card. So first of all I'm wondering what games people would recommend? I have a PS3 but it's been mostly a media player. The only games I've ever played on a regular basis in the last few years were the DJ Hero games. The last game I beat was Arkham Asylum, the last game I played was Infamous 2, and I used to play a lot of turn based JRPGs on my college breaks (Kingdom Hearts, Shadow Hearts, the one with tanks and Valkyries.) And like I said the thing that most influenced my decision was the quirky indie games. Secondly, what would people suggest for an memory card size? I don't think I need to walk around with all my games at once but I'm also not sure how big the games tend toward.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just beat inFAMOUS 2 yesterday since I got it free on PS+. I can't believe I overlooked this game for 2 years.

Great game.  First one is a touch better, IMHO.

Now go back and play it through with the opposite alignment (evil instead of good or vice versa).

Playing hell of games out here. Dang.

Bought and played about an hour of HAMMERWATCH, which I need to get a full four together to play. Gauntlet as hell, although I guess not really since only one character is ranged. Still: fun.

Beat SAINTS ROW IV. Here's my take: Saints Row IV is a bad game with a story that is good to exact-middle-between-good-and-bad. It's never bad, but it's never good enough to justify playing through shit. I am sure some people are going to tell me how much fun they're having right now, in the early parts of the game. Get back to me after another ten hours with the combat. Ooh, or when you get to the last phase of the last mission! Heart breaking.

DIVEKICK, which is the best game that came out this week. Beautifully minimal gameplay design combined with beautifully stupid writing. If you're up on Fighting Game Community memes, it's funny. If you're not, it's funny but through absurdity. No one is fucking with my Markman right now.

And I just now finished GONE HOME, which is the other game that broke my heart this week, but this one did it en route to being amazing. Incredibly difficult to recommend since I don't see a lot of an "art game" crowd on here, but if you want a total change of pace, Gone Home's pretty good.

EDIT: Oh, shit! I almost forgot PAPERS PLEASE which has done in my head in a few ways. First through playing it, then through listening to my friends talk about it, and last through seeing the internet talk about it. I used to think that people would not be so ready to act as cogs for an oppressing machine. Turns out I am dead fucking wrong.