DVDVR Message Board

Also playing the Last Of Us and beat it earlier this week.

The Last Of Us is one of the best games I've ever played (not just this year) and the ending is amazing. I wish more video games had endings like that. I echo the sentiments of no sequel. TLOU doesn't need it nor should it happen.

This is coming from someone who completely hated the gameplay at first and didn't think it was that great. The overall package of the game made up for it.

Yeah, I think it would really diminish the impact of that ending, if they made a sequel.

I would probably be down with a sequel that focused on a couple of completely different characters in another part of the world.

Recently blew through Ratchet: Deadlocked.  Probably my least favorite of the 'main' Ratchet games (i.e. things that are not All 4 One or Quest for Booty) but still fun.  PS3 version has some weird glitches in the in-engine cutscenes.

Did a lot of Sly 4 Vita while I was on vacation.  Being a passenger on a 13-hour car ride will do that.

Started in on GTAIV again.  Took me like 23 tries to do the "kill Faustin's daughter's boyfriend" mission.  My plan right now is to not buy SR4 *or* GTAV before I beat Niko's story, we'll see how that goes.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake doesn't really work on Vita as well as some other 8-bit games.  The radar is so small as to be fundamentally useless.  This is actually LESS of a problem on MGS2.

Made another run at Uncharted Vita, still never got anywhere in it.

eagerly waiting to hear about that Bioshock Infinite DLC I was dumb enough to buy so far in advance (although admittedly, I could afford it better then than I can now...)

I'm on my second run through Skyrim, but that's getting old. Wanna see if one of the local Redboxes has Bioshock Infinite on my "weekend." I'd consider buying it if I like the controls, but I'd rather give it a run-through first.

I'm getting psyched for the South Park RPG - if it's gonna suck, no one tell me. Let me be disappointed when the reviews come in.

Last of Us.  All the awards.

This game gives me the feels.  I near cried at least 4 times.  I don't want it to end.  I'm up to the part where I have to play Ellie because Joel is too f'd from the Firefly lab and those jerks are pissed because I had to hack them all up with a hatchet after they shot first.  Can't claim self-defense if you shoot first, dickwads.

I found myself breaking out the SNES from the attic over the weekend because it was too damn hot to be outside. So I started playing Earthbound. I own it, but I'm pretty sure I barely played it as a kid. Which is a shame really. Also played through Sunset Riders, though after failing feebly for a good hour plus I ended up using a Game Genie code for invincibility. Even then it's a really great little shoot-em-up.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I've been playing a metric ton of Xcom: Enemy Unknown lately.  I probably rated it a little too low in the best games of the year poll we did, but I think I had it 5th. I'm doing some things that I didn't do when I first dabbled with it, like renaming my soldiers as action movie characters from stuff like Predator or Commando.  Hilarious when my heavy machine gunner, Blaine Cooper, mows a sectoid commander down.  Or when my two assaults, 'Mac' Eliot and George Dillon, outflank a berserker alien. 

I haven't been playing Injustice at all the past couple of weeks once I picked Xcom back up. 

Last year was a great year for gaming, and for those that always complain (hey I'm one of them) about the overabundance of FPS's, you had all time great strategy / tactical games like Crusader Kings 2 and Xcom that showed there's still a whole lotta life in those genres.

Up next I really am dying to play State of Decay.

My older brother asked me about playing XCOM. I told him that I still vividly remember the death of my best Assault. That was eight months ago.

Anyways, here's the two games I've been playing.

Civ5 Brave New World: Kind of not feeling it. The rework of the culture victory isn't clearly explained, and the other changes are neat but don't feel like the kind of thing you pay for, as opposed to everything they changed in Gods & Kings, which felt like putting in the other half of a good game. I bought it because I want to make sure I did what I could to keep 2K from ever killing Civ, but I wish I got more for what I paid.

ROUGE LEGACY: Game of the year, not even close right now. This game is Castlevania randomly generated, and every time you went into the castle you had a different class and different buffs/debuffs. It's brilliant and absolutely brutal.

See, I got a copy of XCOM. . .don't know what it was, but I tended to get my ass kicked a lot. I'd never played any of the previous versions, so I wasn't entirely sure what to do. It's something I'll probably go back to at some point.

And based on everyone that's talked about it here, I picked up The Last of Us.

Guest The Magnificent 7

See, I got a copy of XCOM. . .don't know what it was, but I tended to get my ass kicked a lot. I'd never played any of the previous versions, so I wasn't entirely sure what to do. It's something I'll probably go back to at some point.

I'm not a tactical turn based veteran, I mostly was a RTS guy when it came to strategy games.  The learning curve for me was like yours since I hadn't played the originals for any length of time.  All I can say is to give it a few hours and it will click.  When it does click, the game really hits its stride.  Broken Lamp is correct, it's one of the few games where you actually care about your characters.  You'll get some veteran soldiers who you get really attached to, and then you make one slight mistake, maybe it was not sending someone forward on overwatch or something or not bringing enough dudes with medkits, and your dude is dead. 

The best part of it, is there is no backstory to these characters...you create their backstory.  The time your Heavy's final rocket saved three of your other soldier's lives, one of which was panicking?  You created that backstory...by playing the game.  You get attached to your vets because of their exploits and what they've done for you.  I'm pretty late in the game right now, and still have two vets who were on my original team.  If they get smoked, I'm gonna be saying NOOOOOOOO like Vader.  But since they are badasses now, they have to go in the field because enemies are pretty tough this late. When they take damage in the field I get stressed.  Don't want to lose them.

Really great that most games don't capture anymore.  There's even a wall of heroes where bagpipe music plays and lists all your dead soldiers and their accomplishments.  Makes you hate this alien menace.  :)

I must have started 10 different games, never finishing them because I just did everything wrong. But when I finally cracked it to some degree it was just intensely satisfying. Losing guys really feels like a big deal, both for the fact that a high level dude like my snipers with 2 shots if they hit & pretty awesome range that you've grown to rely on is potentially catastrophic, but also because they have far more personality than they should have. Looking at the Wall of Heroes can be heartbreaking, knowing most of those guys are dead because YOU fucked up!

The main thing you have to learn quickly & that the tutorial mission doesn't really teach so well is that you usually have to be super conservative. Don't utilise run too often moving forward because you need guys to go on overwatch in case xenos walk into your range: best you get the first shot at them than vice versa. Use cover. I mean really, just don't leave a guy in the open if you can at all avoid it. Those are the really important things early on, not being appropriately conservative on a mission boned me way more than once. Obviously playing it you'll find out what combinations of upgrades & classes you'll find useful, but snipers man. Can't overstate how much I love snipers in that game.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I must have started 10 different games, never finishing them because I just did everything wrong. But when I finally cracked it to some degree it was just intensely satisfying. Losing guys really feels like a big deal, both for the fact that a high level dude like my snipers with 2 shots if they hit & pretty awesome range that you've grown to rely on is potentially catastrophic, but also because they have far more personality than they should have. Looking at the Wall of Heroes can be heartbreaking, knowing most of those guys are dead because YOU fucked up!

The main thing you have to learn quickly & that the tutorial mission doesn't really teach so well is that you usually have to be super conservative. Don't utilise run too often moving forward because you need guys to go on overwatch in case xenos walk into your range: best you get the first shot at them than vice versa. Use cover. I mean really, just don't leave a guy in the open if you can at all avoid it. Those are the really important things early on, not being appropriately conservative on a mission boned me way more than once. Obviously playing it you'll find out what combinations of upgrades & classes you'll find useful, but snipers man. Can't overstate how much I love snipers in that game.

Agreed on the Wall of Heroes, etc.  Generally there isn't anything b.s. in this game when it comes to the missions, when you lose a soldier like you say, YOU effed things up somehow.  Usually it's easy to see once it happens how a different decision would have saved your dude and the team / mission.

Snipers are awesome.  Squad Sight is essential, as is either Double Tap or In the Zone.  A Support guy with Ghost Armor (send him as far as possible forward while cloaked) and two snipers on high ground in the rear is a scary combination.

ROUGE LEGACY: Game of the year, not even close right now. This game is Castlevania randomly generated, and every time you went into the castle you had a different class and different buffs/debuffs. It's brilliant and absolutely brutal.

I bought a $20 Steam card yesterday. Sorta watching the summer sale, but I'm planning on leaving enough on there for this game. The Giant Bomb quick look sold me on it. Is there controller support? Not sure I even looked!

Wow, the quote thing is weird now.

I bought a $20 Steam card yesterday. Sorta watching the summer sale, but I'm planning on leaving enough on there for this game. The Giant Bomb quick look sold me on it.Is there controller support? Not sure I even looked!

Yeah, there is. Well, in so far as that when I had my 360 controller plugged in, it remapped everything immediately. I don't even know what people do with controls that aren't the wired 360 control.