DVDVR Message Board

LEGEND OF GRIMROCK- Had it for a while and since I'm trying to buy less games after the steam sale (my steam library is above 250) I'm going through a bunch of shit I've never even installed but figured I'd want later (which I guess is now, now). ANYWAYS. Shit's rad. I dig on the first person dungeon crawling thing a whole lot and this is a pretty neat modern take on how to make it work. I wish there was some kind of hotkey function for moving people from the front line to the back line, but that's a pretty minor gripe.

RAYMAN LEGENDS- it's pure joy, what do you want me to say here

and now here are my mental notes from my first five lives in RISK OF RAIN:

"wow this is a total grindfest"

"man that was fast"

"no, THAT was fast"

"maybe I need to activate the portal sooner?"

"okay maybe this time I should just stockpile items" ten minutes pass "HAHAHAHAHA RUN FOOLS RUN FROM MY BULLETS AND MISSILES AND MISSILE BULLETS"

so it's pretty good. it's like spelunky and dota and bangai-o smashed into each other until they are nothing but liquid, then rebuilt into a nightmare funhouse

Is AC revelations worth continuing (am at memory sequence 5) or should i move onto the mass effect trilogy?

Depends on how into AC you are.  it sets up 3 nicely, even though 3 wasn't very good.  If you're at 5, might as well finish it off to at least get the satisfaction of playing Ezio through his entire career.

Really enjoying Ni No Kuni so far. What a gorgeous, whimsical game. It's been a while since I played a proper JRPG. I'd almost forgotten how much I occasionally like to just zone out and grind, whether it's necessary for the game or not.

I've broken many an RPG because of it (killing Sin in FFX with 1 hit comes to mind), but it's so satisfying and a great stress release.

Just did Episode 1 of The Wolf Among Us. Telltale is a bunch of dicks who love to make me cry.

Season 2, Episode 1 of their Walking Dead game is up now too. It's pretty damn good.

Finishing up GTA V and Arkham City, so I decided I wanted a D&D type for my next game.

Looked at Skyrim Legendary as it has all the DLC, but picked up Demon's Souls instead. Everything I read online made it sound fun and difficult.

Loving it so far. just finished the first world and leveled up some stuff. Only put four and a half hours in so far, if the game counter is correct.

Probably still get Skyrim when it drops in the $20 range. Looks like fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Am currently playing Street Fighter III: New Generation, Alien Hominid and Wario Land: The Shake Dimension, which would make a respectable top three in the award category of games that look the most like cartoons. Damn you HD!

• Like 1

Took me 5 tries to beat Manus, The Father of The Abyss on Dark Souls.

(image of the beast spoilerized for size)

Manus.png

I was a little rusty because I have fought the dude way less than the other bosses (it's stuff from the DLC) but it was still reasonable.

Tried to help other players as summon against said boss, but only managed to win once because all the hosts kept dying.

Rayman Legends.

Got it on sale on PSN/PS+ for $35. Fairly obsessed with the daily/weekly challenges at the moment, and the misses and I play the campaign together. It's really, really brilliant. The gameplay and aesthetics are both so creative, and despite the fact that it's a side scrolling platformer, it's really quite original. I give it 142 stars

• 2 weeks later...

Much of my adult life, at least since around... 2007, was haunted by an awful, evil being.

His name was Sigma.

The final boss of many, if not all, of the games in the Mega Man X series, he is to Mega Man X what Dr. Wily is to Mega Man classic. The first game in particular had a VERY difficult battle with him. Sure, when you fight his dog and him in his humanoid form, those fights are easy if you took the time to get the Hadoken (yes, Mega Man X had the Hadoken as a weapon), but his final form would plague my nightmares. Then kill me. And before long I'd be back at the stage select screen, staring down his creepy bald, dead-eyed face.

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014, I ended the nightmares and beat Sigma's punk-ass GOOD.

When his final form's lifebar hit 0 and his giant robot/wolf body exploded, I jumped to my feet and exploded in a frenzy of middle fingers, crotch chops and yells of "WHAT NOW, BITCH?! WHAT NOW, BITCH?! I GOT YOU, YOU CAILLOU-LOOKIN' MOTHERFUCKER!!! WHAT!!!"

As the credits rolled, I was high on elation, thrilled at my ultimate success. Sure, he'd come back (the X series has eight installments, after all), but I had slain one of the biggest dragons I'd ever faced.

Oh, and Sigma? When you see Dr. Wily, tell that Einstein-lookin' motherfucker I said "APOCALYPSIS AHORA, BEEYATCH."

• 2 weeks later...

Since I'm going through an assload of GameCube games I fired up Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. As I'm sure I've confessed in some RPG discussion, I am a min-maxer, so of course I'm going crazy trying to do a Danger Mario run where I level up like crazy on Badge Points and keep my HP low, so I can load up on badges with effects at 5 or less HP... Basically making a Mario that can't take a lot of damage, but is strong enough to kill all but the sturdiest bosses in one turn and is nigh-untouchable. Not so easy in the early goings since there aren't many badges with those effects yet, though.

Got my PS4 today (my Amazon Gold Box copy of Tomb Raider will come tomorrow).  Resogun is GLORIOUS, and it's an interesting free showcase of the PS4 because when you first start playing you're saying "There's nothing here the old system couldn't have done" and then five to ten minutes in you realize just how intricate some of the effects etc. are and just WHY it had to be a new-gen game.  It's also a lot of fun, which is always a positive.  I've bought Strider (after the $10 credit it was a fairly easy sell), got Warframe and DCUO downloading (despite the fact that the latter has never brought me anything but pain) and installed Zen Pinball 2.  I downloaded Pinball Arcade, but the fact that they want me to re-purchase tables makes it an easy pass for now.  Contrast, Don't Starve and Outlast are of course going to be acquired since they're free with Plus, but they're not as high on my priority list even as DCUO (since I played the PS3 version some and the PC version extensively, I'm kind of looking to it as a bellwether for graphical improvements), let alone getting all my ZP2 tables installed.

Man, I hope Mercenary Kings lives up to its promise next month...

Been playing Dragon Age Origins the last month so. Beat the main game on Monday, Awakening last night, and Golems of Amgarrak today. Overall, I ended up enjoying it all a good deal though its annoying to see and read about how many bugs the game has. You more or less have to spoil yourself a bit so you don't completely crew things up. Its really the biggest disappoint. Even with the technical flaws its still pretty fun and was well wroth playing. Will hopefully start the second game this weekend.