DVDVR Message Board

wko 100 for 2013-lists, lists, lists I do adore-you put this number on your paper

No-one put the wko 100 here.

SLL always does a great job of putting this together and worth looking at the lists of reccomended matches and explanations of strengths of performers on the countdown.
Dissapointed that Akebono and Atlantis didn't make the 100 and surprised by how high Lesnar placed as he feels like a guy still living off the positive vibes people had from his Cena match. Still wko is always one of the better annual lists and good place to explore things you may have missed in 2013:

100. Adam Cole
99. Kevin Steen
98. Hiroshi Tanahashi
97. James Mason
96. Mr. Niebla
95. CIMA
94. Tama Tonga
93. Kota Ibushi
92. The Great Sasuke
91. Jushin Thunder Liger
90. Vangelis
89. Jeremy Wyatt
88. Necro Butcher
87. Adrian Neville
86. Chico Che
85. Kenou
84. Christian
83. Jack Swagger
82. Meiko Satomura
81. Raziel
80. Shocker
79. Rey Cometa
78. Cyrus the Destroyer
77. Dean Allmark
76. Osamu Nishimura
75. Robbie Dynamite
74. Yuki Ishikawa
73. Damien Wayne
72. Ray Mendoza Jr.
71. 2 Cold Scorpio
70. Arkangel de la Muerte
69. Rampage Brown
68. Freelance
67. Dolph Ziggler
66. Sami Callihan
65. Titan
64. Pierrothito
63. Randy Orton
62. Cassandro
61. Mascara Dorada
60. Alexander Otsuka
59. Katsuyori Shibata
58. Shaun Tempers
57. Demus 3:16
56. Namajague
55. Fujita Jr. Hayato
54. Dr. Wagner Jr.
53. Barbaro Cavernario
52. Yoshiaki Fujiwara
51. K.T. Hammil
50. Timothy Thatcher
49. Jey Uso
48. Jimmy Uso
47. Kyle Matthews
46. "Super Porky" Brazo de Plata
45. Villano IV
44. Kazushi Sakuraba
43. Maximo
42. Minoru Suzuki
41. Trauma I
40. Cody Rhodes
39. Guerrero Maya Jr.
38. Mike Cruz
37. Averno
36. El Terrible
35. Mark Henry
34. Brock Lesnar
33. Jun Akiyama
32. Kassius Ohno/Chris Hero
31. Jinsei Shinzaki
30. Sami Zayn
29. Black Terry
28. C.M. Punk
27. Luke Harper
26. The Big Show
25. Sheamus
24. Alberto Del Rio
23. Shinsuke Nakamura
22. Valiente
21. Negro Navarro
20. Trauma II
19. TAJIRI
18. Charles Lucero
17. Tomohiro Ishii
16. L.A. Park
15. Roman Reigns
14. Vordell Walker
13. Rey Escorpion
12. Rey Hechicero
11. Dean Ambrose
10. William Regal
9. Seth Rollins
8. John Cena
7. Blue Panther
6. Virus
5. Rush
4. Goldust
3. Daniel Bryan
2. Antonio Cesaro
1. Negro Casas

"Wrestling KO finished their list of 100 wrestlers, you won't believe what happens next"

actually that's a lie what happens is people show up and go "THIS IS SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION >:| " instead of going "hey wait what's a Rey Hechicero" and enjoying wrestling

Oh, or complaining about the lucha renaissance because it's happening at the same time that the majority of New Japan matches aren't total trash since 2003 and are making easily accessible tape.

Terrible lucha stroking list. No Okada? No Sekimoto? No Okabayashi? No Akira Tozawa? Why is CIMA on here?

A lot of people could throw a hundred names at the wall and it would mean just as much.

Man, between Star Wars and your home board for the last many years (being here not WKO) not really caring about NJPW, I kind of feel for you.

A list i would look up favorably, if i still cared about listmaking.

Also,

[cheap plug] you can read Matt's Goldust article and steve Sims' Negro Casas in our new issue. Only $5 including s/h. [/cheap plug]

Why is CIMA on here?

Like I said:

SLL always does a great job of putting this together and worth looking at the lists of reccomended matches and explanations of strengths of performers on the countdown.

"CIMA toned down the stupid US indy shit and worked a bunch of short matches, majority being based around flashy submissions. He looked like he'd have no problem keeping up with some of the better IWRG guys. "

Recommended Matches:

vs. Masato Yoshino (Dragon Gate, 3/3)

vs. K-ness (Dragon Gate, 4/4)

w/ A.R. Fox vs. The Young Bucks (DGUSA, 4/6)

vs. Akira Tozawa (Dragon Gate, 5/5)

w/ Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii, Uhaa Nation, & Ryo Saito vs. YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Masato Yoshino, Naruki Doi, & Jimmy Susumu (Dragon Gate, 7/4)

w/ A.R. Fox & Tomahawk T.T. vs. Ricochet & The Young Bucks (DGUSA, 7/27)

vs. Chihiro Tominaga (Dragon Gate, 9/12)

vs. Masaaki Mochizuki (Dragon Gate, 9/28)

vs. Super Shisa (Dragon Gate, 12/7)

vs. CIBA (Dragon Gate, 12/27)

I've only seen the Super shisa match which is essentially worked ROH Pure Title rules.

Haven't followed Dragon's gate in ages, when did the US based dragongate fans turned on CIMA?

I thought you folks used to love CIMA, where did the love go?

I also don't get the whole not enough Japanese workers complaint.

Looking through it looks like there are 11 NJPW workers and an other additional 12 Japanese indy or Noah workers.

That's almost a quarter of the list.

Rationale behind Tanahashi's ranking? Not trying to start a war.

And what is 2 Cold up to these days?

I'm not sure why Tanahashi was rated so highly this year. The guy who  rated him highest hasn't written anything yet but the guy who rated him poorest wrote:

I'm really happy with our boy's ranking. Hiroshi's worked extremely hard over the last few years and has finally cracked the top 100. The Ishii matches, especially the second one, are worth watching as Tanahashi understood his role and even added a few positive things to the match, such as the big slap cutoff

Recommended Matches:

vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW, 1/4)

vs. Karl Anderson (NJPW, 2/10)

vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW, 4/7)

vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW, 8/2)

vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. (NJPW, 8/3)

vs. Hirooki Goto (NJPW, 8/7)

vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW, 8/10)

vs. Prince Devitt (NJPW, 9/29)

vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW, 10/14)

vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW, 11/9)

w/ Tetsuyo Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura (NJPW, 12/23)

Too Cold

"Scorpio rarely making tape has to be one of the most frustrating things about pro wrestling. He's a total master, sells perfectly, knows exactly when and how to build to a comeback, he's super charismatic and has some of the most violent offense in pro wrestling - that includes his highspots. The Delaney match was a remarkable carry job. Delaney's a guy who falls into the "annoying indy guy" category yet Scorpio held the match together with some really engaging selling. Also, he made the most basic offense, such as his back elbow in the corner rewind worthy. The way he reversed that one armbar by just casually scooping his opponent off him is also worth checking out. Obviously his match against Cruz was a great heavyweight vs junior heavyweight fight and, unless I'm forgetting something, the US indy match of the year."

Recommended Matches:

vs. ACH (NPWD, 2/2)

vs. Colin Delaney (HRT, 3/2)

vs. Marty Jannetty (PWS, 5/18)

vs. Mike Cruz (USA Pro, 7/27)

Terrible lucha stroking list. 

Seeing as how Lucha is usually horribly underrepresented in all realms of the IWC, I welcome the Lucha love. 

I wasn't involved with the WKO list but it is always something I look forward to.

But again I'm not sure how much lucha love these guys really demonstrate.

I mean there were about 11 guys who worked for NJPW in 2013 on this list, 26 who worked for WWE, and 26 who worked for EMLL. That's 11 out of a NJPW roster of about 40, 26 out of a WWE roster of about 90 and 26 out of a EMLL roster of about 240.

Lucha may be better represented on the wko 100 then it is on most other internet wrestling discussions.

But 1/9th of a roster compared to approximately 1/4 of NJPW and WWE's rosters still suggests that it's still pretty underrepresented.

Why is Jimmy Uso ahead of Jey Uso? Is he the one that married Naomi? I guess that's enough of a reason..

Jey is the larger of the two, I'm guessing that there is a general internet bias toward smaller tag partner, guy who sets up bigger partners spots. May also be just that they are always referred to be announcers as "Jimmy and Jey" and so were voted for in that order.

Terrible shit as usual.

*actually looks at list*

Oh.

I approve!

Seriously if you want to go ahead & shit on the list be my guest - I used to make it a yearly thing. But at least open your eyes to Rey Hechicero, Rey Escorpion & if for some reason you haven't yet - Rush.

A  very interesting list and one that opens my eyes to several wrestlers that I should be more familiar with. Thanks for posting!

Yea Ishikawa only had five matches and Regal had six that were taped, I guess I don't know what the exact criteria is?  Not being cute, legitimately curious, is it just voters ranking their favorite wrestlers?  Okada being excluded is surprising, looking at the list I think some of the voters definitely have 'favorites' they vote for regardless (Fujiwara for example can still be fun but I don't consider him in the Top 60 wrestlers in the world currently).  Not that that is a criticism, Mutoh would be on my list ;)   But I like lists, they are fun to read over to see what other people think.  I am surprised Akebono isn't on there, he'd seem like someone that the Mark Henry crowd would like (big wrestler that knows his means and wrestlers within it).

Yeah Regal kind of stuck out to me, were his matches really THAT great that six of them shot him into the top ten? I loved the Cesaro match, and the Ohno match (that was 2013, yes?) but it feels like they'd put him top ten just because of who he is rather than what he did in the calendar year.

My main complaint about past lists was just that. Guys would make the list based on 1 or 2 matches. There was one year where Shu El Guerrero made the list after appearing in only 1 full match & a clipped match. Never made sense to me. Always figured there should be some sort of criteria for appearences.