DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

Hey, the Marlins swept the Braves!  

The Braves are now whining that Miami stole signs.

This is why no one likes the Braves. 

I'm afraid I've sworn a blood-oath to always side with the perennial contender who's whining about how the system is stacked against them.

So, I must demand Florida* be relegated to Cuba and Atlanta be awarded three victories.

It's a matter of honor.

* By this I mean the state of Florida

So, the marlins win on a game winning hit that Puig dropped when he collided with the right field fence.

Weird to seethe marlins stream out of the dugout to celebrate with Puig rolling around on the warning track.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. My dad talks about the five for one every so often as kind of this quirk in Phillies history, but really, they didn't exactly lose a ton of value aside from Franco later down the pipe. This isn't a situation where the Mariners traded Chris Tillman, Adam Jones, *and* other stuff for a dud in Erik Bedard, or the Red Sox picked up Josh Beckett from Miami for Hanley *and* Anibal. And on the other end of the spectrum, it's not as if Hayes became a Miguel Cabrera level superstar while nearly everyone else in that deal busted.

It kind of reminds me of the Hanrahan trade to Boston two winters ago - yeah he was awful for them, but the only things of value the Pirates got in return were a reliever who had already worn out his welcome and a maybe reliever/maybe starter/maybe who the hell knows what. It's not as if they gave up Bogaerts or Middlebrooks.

Joe Girardi absolutely lost it last night on home plate umpire Laz Diaz after apparently Diaz "Mutumboed" him

I am so giddy that that is now apparently a verb

Did you see Diaz going after Kelley too? He's a joke of an umpire. Him and Angel Hernandez need to work at a zoo and stop bothering people. Or get a horse and live in the mountains some place and don't bother anybody.

Joe Girardi absolutely lost it last night on home plate umpire Laz Diaz after apparently Diaz "Mutumboed" him

Somebody get me a video of this, stat.

Somebody get me a video of this, stat.

MLB's video of it

I don't see any finger wagging by the ump.  Yeah, he milked the hell out of that ejection though.  Umpire does that, he should be suspended.

And good grief, the pitch that got Girardi tossed - Eric Gregg woulda been proud of that strike call.

Diaz is an absolutly horrible Umpire that tries to make himself the center of every game he's behind the plate.  Get his ass out of the game.

I don't see any finger wagging by the ump. Yeah, he milked the hell out of that ejection though. Umpire does that, he should be suspended.

And good grief, the pitch that got Girardi tossed - Eric Gregg woulda been proud of that strike call.

Yeah no one has the actual finger wag but you can see Girardi mimicking the motion.

There is also a video of when Diaz shows up Shawn Kelley later.

Deadspin has that but I'm on my phone right now

I dunno if this was a major league first but the Pirates won tonight on a Walkoff Replay.

Starling Marte crushed a ball off the wall and legged out a triple. The throw to third was terrible and he continued home where he was called out. Clint Hurdle challenged the play and - irony alert - it was determined Buster Posey, who couldn't block the plate because of the Posey Rule, was late getting the sweep tag down. Game over.

By the way, Marte has been absolutely on fire since being dropped to the middle of the order from leadoff. Between him, Cutch, and Gregory Polanco, who is killing AAA and is considered one of the top 2-3 prospects in baseball, the Bucs are going to have a sick outfield for the next few years. Now if they can just find some pitching...

So Matt Williams was just involved in a hit & run accident while be interview by the local radio station (he was the one hit)