DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

So I'm watching some old WCW PPVs on the Network and it seems like once the AWA went away and Bischoff gained some power in WCW, there was this bizarre reverence for the AWA that started up. 

I see it now, and I consider myself a fairly educated wrestling fan, and I understand why these folks matter. But to the average WCW viewer in 1993, nobody told us who Nick Bockwinkle was and why he matters. Even the Slamboree legends reunion show honored people like Red Bastein, Verne Gagne, the Crusher, Larry Hennig, the Bruiser, and Mad Dog Vachon. It just seems weird to highlight the AWA to a company that still felt (to me) like the Crockett and Georgia areas just under a new name. 

Is that just because I was viewing WCW as a person from North Carolina? Did WCW have a foothold in the AWA strongholds and I'm just talking out of my ass here? Help me escape my bizarre regionalism, folks. 

David Benoit claimed in an interview yesterday that when he was visiting backstage at a WWE event, one writer took him aside and told him that WWE would almost certainly use the Benoit name in some way or other in the future. David seems to be taking this as encourage that they'll sign him one day.

That's some quality trolling.  I wonder if that writer was the person who told Meltzer that Punk was going to be at Raw in Chicago.

Maybe you guys should lay off the kid. It could be this dream is all that has been keeping him going. 

• Like 4

So I'm watching some old WCW PPVs on the Network and it seems like once the AWA went away and Bischoff gained some power in WCW, there was this bizarre reverence for the AWA that started up. 

I see it now, and I consider myself a fairly educated wrestling fan, and I understand why these folks matter. But to the average WCW viewer in 1993, nobody told us who Nick Bockwinkle was and why he matters. Even the Slamboree legends reunion show honored people like Red Bastein, Verne Gagne, the Crusher, Larry Hennig, the Bruiser, and Mad Dog Vachon. It just seems weird to highlight the AWA to a company that still felt (to me) like the Crockett and Georgia areas just under a new name. 

Is that just because I was viewing WCW as a person from North Carolina? Did WCW have a foothold in the AWA strongholds and I'm just talking out of my ass here? Help me escape my bizarre regionalism, folks. 

WCW was pretty national, thanks to TBS and cable spreading. Also, they had a big foothold in Chicago and had a lot of PPV events there. I'd imagine they ran a bunch of shows elsewhere in AWA country.

Also, Flair toured the country with the NWA belt. I'd imagine NWA/WCW fans watched him in places like WCCW (we got that in New York). And there were also all of the magazines, too.

I love Bock so much. I sort of loved that he didn't want to travel too much, so he avoided getting the NWA belt or moving to other regions in the late 80s. He got to do his Jack Nicklaus routine at the dying days of AWA and that wouldn't have worked elsewhere. Although the thought of Bobby Heenan grabbing Dusty's legs from out under him so Bock could win the NWA Title and the resulting gloat-fest promo afterwards is something the world really needs.

If so, that makes him even more pathetic.

Look, I have nothing against David Benoit, and it sucks that his old man's actions have fucked up his career choice, but it is what it is.

He should take up Jazz Saxophone

• Like 2

Look, I have nothing against David Benoit, and it sucks that his old man's actions have fucked up his career choice, but it is what it is.

Who the fuck are you to call him pathetic when you have not been thru what he has?

• Like 11

Who the fuck are you to call him pathetic when you have not been thru what he has?

Co-sign

Having your dad kill himself, your stepmom and your little brother would fuck anyone up.

• Like 2

Shittiest and grossest comment of the year. 

• Like 1

None of what happened is David Benoit's fault, and I have the utmost sympathy for him being put in the situation he's been in. I hope he realizes his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. Having said that, in the TMZ world in which we live, it's going to be next to impossible to keep his dad's actions from becoming something that's brought up by fans and media to a level that detracts from his in-ring career should he make it to WWE television. It says more about the sensationalist world we live in than it does David. But that's how it is. I hope he has a healthy perspective on his chances at a future in the WWE...

None of what happened is David Benoit's fault, and I have the utmost sympathy for him being put in the situation he's been in. I hope he realizes his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. Having said that, in the TMZ world in which we live, it's going to be next to impossible to keep his dad's actions from becoming something that's brought up by fans and media to a level that detracts from his in-ring career should he make it to WWE television. It says more about the sensationalist world we live in than it does David. But that's how it is. I hope he has a healthy perspective on his chances at a future in the WWE...

He has the internet.  He must have seen all the messed up wrestling fans who still worship his father, make t-shirts glorifying his actions, and take signs to wrestling events.

What are some spots or moves that you guys dislike, but there's one example that you think looks amazing? Example: as a general rule, I dislike the Flatliner, but Bray Wyatt's version looks awesome. I think it's because too often, it doesn't look impactful, or when it does, it's not match ending. I've seen versions just like his that look like they should lay a guy out, but the guy gets back up, or it's used as a transition move. I dislike that, but the few times I've seen Bray use it (full disclosure, I don't have tv or Internet at my house, so I only watch wrestling when I'm somewhere with wifi I can use), it looks deadly. Are there other moves like that out there that you feel that way about? And not necessarily a specific wrestler doing them, it could just be a specific way of applying the hold or performing the move that you don't feel is done enough

What are some spots or moves that you guys dislike, but there's one example that you think looks amazing? Example: as a general rule, I dislike the Flatliner, but Bray Wyatt's version looks awesome. I think it's because too often, it doesn't look impactful, or when it does, it's not match ending. I've seen versions just like his that look like they should lay a guy out, but the guy gets back up, or it's used as a transition move. I dislike that, but the few times I've seen Bray use it (full disclosure, I don't have tv or Internet at my house, so I only watch wrestling when I'm somewhere with wifi I can use), it looks deadly. Are there other moves like that out there that you feel that way about? And not necessarily a specific wrestler doing them, it could just be a specific way of applying the hold or performing the move that you don't feel is done enough

I hate that spot where a guy is laying on the middle rope, hanging on to the top rope waiting for someone to drop a leg on him. But I've seen it done where a guy was getting into the ring and someone just pounced him and it was perfect. I can't remember who or when it was.

I've been meaning to say this about Bray Wyatt's Sister Abigail as it's usually a move I don't like...especially Shelton Benjamin and R-Truth's versions. I'm not that keen on the facebuster finishes used by Jeff Jarrett and The Miz but I liked Edge's half nelson version.

The month of May is off to a rockin' start.

Poor Rippa for this and particularly last monh.

Sister Abigal/Shellshock done by Wyatt or Shelly are simply much better than the versions done by Truth/Shelton, those looked like some kind of uncoordinated botched Rock Bottom most of the time. The little twist adds a lot of impact.

I hate that spot where a guy is laying on the middle rope, hanging on to the top rope waiting for someone to drop a leg on him. But I've seen it done where a guy was getting into the ring and someone just pounced him and it was perfect. I can't remember who or when it was.

There was a match on Hardcore TV in 96 between Mikey and Sabu where they did that spot and instead of just laying there like a goof while Sabu got into position, Mikey sold it like he was struggling to regain his balance and use the ropes to pull himself right side up. It still looked contrived, but not nearly as awful as normal.

p.s. Mikey Whipwreck was awesome.