DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Built up as an upcoming world-beating tag-team with Kevin in their corner. Kevin does a SWERVE and costs them a match with whatever random guys get thrown at them. Either that or TNA has them come out wearing dresses for no particular reason. They would be much better off waiting and going to whatever JJ's new thing turns out to be. Yes, it will be shit, but at least it will be somewhat recognizable as a wrestling program, something that TNA is not.

They'd have them doing a John Edwards gimmick where they channel the dead Von Erichs during the matches - the power of the claw hold, taking off their boots to wrestle bare feet, coming to the ring completely drugfucked, etc.

Then it just goes a little too far, when they start goosestepping to the ring as Nazi sympathizers, and TNA's final episode is a PSA where TNA wrestlers reach out to those Von Erich kids who "just seem a little down lately".

• Like 1

Maaan one thing by finger eleven came on the radio (Canadian content law wooooo) and it reminded me of this video they put on the Benoit DVD. That period from like late 2003 to Eddie's death was probably the peak of my fandom. Hard to look back on it now like....

• Like 3

I see on the newz sites that WWE is doing final background checks on Kevin Steen and Willie Mack, at which point they will both be signed.  They don't LOOK like WWE stars, but it's pretty smart of WWE to lock up the top indie guys before AAA and Global Force get going.

I'm 100% behind Steen showing up with some wacky French name trying to get Zayn to come to the dark side.

I see on the newz sites that WWE is doing final background checks on Kevin Steen and Willie Mack, at which point they will both be signed.  They don't LOOK like WWE stars, but it's pretty smart of WWE to lock up the top indie guys before AAA and Global Force get going.

I'm sure that's what they were thinking. Better lock up Steen before Jeff Jarrett turns him into an international superstar and cuts into all of our profits.

• Like 3

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan  IS  professional wrestling.

as a kid, i always enjoyed his interviews/matches, even if he wasn't anywhere near my favorites.

as a teen, i really just liked to yell "HO!" and make fun of him.

as an adult, i appreciate that he has a limited repertoire but still makes every match seem like it matters. and with the least effort. i've never seen a crowd NOT chant "USA" along with him. He always makes it look like he's out there having fun. If i was a Survivor Series captain, Duggan would be one of my choices. and what more can you really ask for?

• Like 1

If I remember right Jim Duggan was one of the few people to get the crowd to boo Goldberg during Bills "heel" run in the summer of WCW.

Duggan as the ultimate WCW homer was so under appreciated during the whole half the roster is part of the NWO thing. Duggan could get anyone to root for him though. All it would take is him doing that clap and getting the crowd chanting USA...USA...USA. I mean hell, as much as I like Lana and Rusev, I was ready to root for Duggan to take him down with a 3 point stance.

Mid-South Duggan was outstanding.

Duggan's "drooling idiot" character in the WWF didn't do a lot for me, but he did get good crowd reactions.  Feel like the company left money on the table with that one.  A serious Duggan character could have gotten over huge for them.

• Like 1

Is everyone sort of on the same page with the Bryan story now? He on Jericho basically said that he was never supposed to end up with the title at Wrestlemania, that he was there to put Orton over in the lead up to the unification match in fall and then to put Bray over on the way to Cena. There wasn't some sort of master plan, except for to use him to get people over for Cena to face. 

• Like 2

Is everyone sort of on the same page with the Bryan story now? He on Jericho basically said that he was never supposed to end up with the title at Wrestlemania, that he was there to put Orton over in the lead up to the unification match in fall and then to put Bray over on the way to Cena. There wasn't some sort of master plan, except for to use him to get people over for Cena to face. 

Like I said the night of Mania, kudos to WWE for doing the right thing, but let's not forget they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to get there.

It's actually totally better that they didn't have a plan, because it means more to me anyway that the crowd and Daniel Bryan actually changed their minds.

WE HAVE THE POWER!

• Like 1