DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

So here is something completely random: Why did Del Rios (Spellbinder, Phantasio, etc.) never get a longer run in a big promotion? He certainly had the look. He wasn't the greatest worker in the ring, but he wasn't horrible either. The Phantasio gimmick seemed perfect for 1995 WWE and if nothing else he could have been used as fodder for a mini-feud with Undertaker. His work in Memphis was always good (not top level stuff, but above average). Thoughts?

He was neither as tall nor had as many cool spots as Conan Chris Walker.

• Like 1

Because last time they brought him up he had no personality and no gimmick for the fans to identify him with? It was just "hey there's that dude who was in the rumble and now is kinda feuding with Barrett". 

Last time he was a whitebread babyface.  Now he's a heel who thinks he's a whitebread babyface.

So Kurt Angle circa 1999?

Because last time they brought him up he had no personality and no gimmick for the fans to identify him with? It was just "hey there's that dude who was in the rumble and now is kinda feuding with Barrett". 

Last time he was a whitebread babyface.  Now he's a heel who thinks he's a whitebread babyface.

It's not too far from that. Bo's somehow even less self-aware. His new entrance also gives it this really great, irritating New Age vibe.

Last time he was a whitebread babyface. Now he's a heel who thinks he's a whitebread babyface.

Yeah, but way different , at least in NXT. They had the evolution of the character from a whitemeat babyface that the crowd was turning on , to a heel who truly thinks he's a hero and a role model who's in denial about the crowds reactions still insisting the love him ( which was the more comedic part), to the Champ who eventually seems disingenuous about going on about what a hero he is, and heels it up in the ring while trolling the crowd about how much of an inspiration he is. And of course, this has led to a section of fans who cheer for him there as he's become a character that fans who love heels adore. He's totally a guy me and my pals would be cheering amidst the boos in the 80's when we were part of the Philly Heel fan contingent .

I hope it gets over in WWE but since they're debuting him already as the character , it's gonna be more broad..which it has to be, and the fans didn't get too be part of the character evolution, it's gonna be a bit tough for Bo. It's not like the creation of The Rock, where we all saw how and why this guy became the "The Rock."

That being said, I totally think Bo can pull it off.

That's a big problem I have with the way they are bringing these NXT guys/gals up.  They are pushing out there expecting a gimmick that took months to develop and get over, to work immediately on the main show.  Paige is lucky that she has a really unique like, and an instant likeability, so she's the only one who doesn't have to deal with this whole thing.

The NXT crowd is also tricky. Emma started out as a heel and within one taping she was a super face. The character was envisioned as a heel. Likewise Enzo Amore. Maybe after a year or two on the main roster, these guys could morph into faces, but the crowd is so much smaller and more distinct that it happens almost instantly there and then everything is distorted when people hit the main roster.

I wish they could do a best of ECW Fan Cam DVD.  I saw so many cool things at ECW house shows.  I went to one the night Rick Rude died.  Shane Douglas cut this awesome promo and the whole crew stood in/around the ring for a 10 bell salute.  No gimmicks, no shenanigans ...just the crew paying their respects.  Then they put on one of the most kick ass house shows I have ever been to.  

Yeah it's terrible that Bray Wyatt keeps getting Husky Harris chants.

Bray had a character that you could introduce somewhat immediately and have it work.  It also helps that there was legitimate buzz for the Wyatts coming in.  You knew what the Wyatt gimmick was from the start, and didn't need months of familiarity.  This is a problem that (so far) is exclusive to Bo Dallas and Emma, but could happen to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1VSSzLqd4#t=385

Rollins and Ambrose on another morning show to promote. These are my favorite things.

Holy crap, I never realized how tall Dean Ambrose is. He's literally towering over both reporters, and a quick Google search says he's 6'4".   Well.

Army tank with a Ferrari engine.  That was a great tag line.

I always hated it cuz it made no sense. Sticking an engine designed to move a ton or two of carbon fiber around in a 67 ton hunk of steel and depleted uranium would be like trying to power your car with your phone battery.

• Like 1

Bray also had an out prepared to deal with the possible Husky chants. He had some crazy backstory where Husky got possessed by a demon that transformed him into Bray. He even responds to tweets asking him about it stuff like "I NEEDED A VESSEL!"