DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

So, also coming from that, they said that the current subscriber base has them on pace for significantly more money than they ever drew from domestic ppv buys. And despite the 600k subscribers, they do did well over half domestic buys for mania as they did last year.

I kinda liked Maven.  Though I apparently paid so little attention to him that I didn't know he won (?) Tough Enough.

And I thought Willow spelled backwards was "bong".  Or maybe "felony possession".

I kinda liked Maven.  Though I apparently paid so little attention to him that I didn't know he won (?) Tough Enough.

And I thought Willow spelled backwards was "bong".  Or maybe "felony possession".

No, it's Wolliw.

• Like 2

Alex Shelley off tomorrow night's SLA show with an ankle injury.  A.C.H.'s opponent to be determined.

Bobby Heenan's status for SICW on 5/17 isn't known yet, but they've now booked Jim Cornette to be there one way or the other.  Goodie.

I though they should've brought Maven back during Miz's big run as like an "advisor" like Johnny Drama for Vincent Chase...

I used to think they should have given Al Snow a run against Evolution with Maven, Josh Matthews, and Nowitski in his corner, with Nowitski eventually joining Evolution.

Who is the most successful Tough Enough alum? Arugments:

1) JOSH MATTHEWS: A long-standing b-show commentator, main show interviewer. I don't remember a thing about him. And you know what? THAT'S A GOOD THING! He gets out of the way of the wrestlers and talent. He's there to tell a story and/or act as a conduit for others to tell their stories. He doesn't screw it up or make the show about himself. He'll be in the WWE for a long time in this role and there's nothing wrong with that!

2) JOHN MORRISON: Was there anyone better in-ring from Tough Enough than him? MNM was a really great tag team. His solo stuff was hit-and-miss, but he had an awesome match against Rey on Smackdown (I think he won the belt), amidst a bunch of other good stuff, and got something really watchable out of The Miz in a Pinfalls Count Anywhere match on Raw. His "Spiderman" save in the Royal Rumble was a lot of fun, too.

3) CHRIS NOWITSKI: His abbreviated WWE career led to him becoming a prominent advocate for athletic head trauma injuries. I know there has been some controversies with his actual involvement, but he's become a really public face in what's arguably the most important sports story of the past few years. The concussion issue has really trickled down to Little League sports levels and is changing equipment, safety measures, and I'd also imagine insurance premiums.

Miz was WWE Champion and seems to have transitioned into a role where he doesn't have to wrestle much. Also he probably still one of the higher paid guys on the roster and locked down Maryse.

I mean he's awful but he's found the most success.

I know some of yall don't mess with dude but this was a good write-up by the Masked Dude

The Pro Wrestling Draft Board
In homage to the upcoming NFL draft, we rank the WWE’s top prospects and break down their strengths and weaknesses, Mel Kiper style
by: The Masked Man

On Monday night’s episode of Raw, WWE showed highlights of a press conference held by Triple H (in his real-life role as a corporate executive, rather than his onscreen role as an evil corporate executive) to promote an event called Takeover. It’s a showcase for WWE’s developmental roster, NXT, which will air May 29 on the WWE Network. “NXT is taking over the WWE,” Triple H said. And it wasn’t just promotional bluster. Since Triple H took over personnel development responsibilities for WWE, he has consolidated the program at a performance center in Florida, expanded its ranks, and built the NXT brand into a beloved farm league that launches wrestlers into the WWE spotlight with preestablished characters.

On Raw, Triple H, with Batista and Randy Orton, confronted the Shield, three upstarts who made the jump from NXT to WWE’s main roster two years ago, threatening them as only an evil exec could: “I brought you into this world, and you are looking at the three guys who are gonna take you out of it.” Earlier in the show, while arguing with an audience that has become increasingly enamored with his rival Bray Wyatt, John Cena insisted he loved the current crop of young stars: “I see greatness in the WWE superstars of today — names like Roman Reigns, names like Cesaro, names like Seth Rollins, names like our current champion Daniel Bryan.” He even mentioned current NXT favorites Adrian Neville and Sami Zayn to prove his bona fides. Then, when coming out to close the show, Ric Flair spurned his old Evolution running mates (Triple H, Randy Orton, and Batista) in favor of casting his lot with the Shield.

When A-listers like Cena and Flair are eager to associate with the kids from NXT, you know the youth movement is real. If WrestleMania 30 signaled the dawn of a new era — the Undertaker’s two-decade-long streak ended, the Shield dismantled Attitude Era stars Kane and the New Age Outlaws, and Daniel Bryan was elevated to the top of the company by defeating Triple H and then Orton and Batista — then NXT can be expected to produce WWE’s future flag bearers.

Bryan is the spearhead of this youth movement. In the vocabulary of sports valuations, he’s the game changer, the unlikely new archetype, the five-tool guy in a three-tool body, the undervalued asset, the Moneyball lens through which all future talent must be viewed and judged.

For the first time since the Attitude Era, WWE has a generation of wrestlers compelling and charismatic enough to main-event WrestleMania for years to come. Who are these future stars? You can find clips on the network or YouTube, or catch glimpses of their talent on Raw. But since it’s NFL draft season, this seems like the perfect opportunity to break down the up-and-comers’ upsides (and downsides) in true NFL-draftnik style. So, on the eve of Extreme Rules — WWE’s unofficial annual showcase for promoting future stars — let’s take a hard look at this new crop of wrestling talent and assess their progress to date, as well as their future prospects.

A note before we get started: This list isn’t comprehensive. Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, and even the Miz or Jack Swagger could play huge roles in WWE’s future; characters like the Usos have managed to seem perpetually new, despite predating the NXT structure; there’s a sea of other prospects toiling outside the WWE farm system; and the Ortons and Cenas of the world aren’t going anywhere. And, of course, the NXT track record isn’t flawless. There have been several defections from the ranks — Michael Tarver, Kaval (Low Ki), Percy Watson, Lucky Cannon, Eli Cottonwood, Derrick Bateman, and Jacob Novak have all moved on; Byron Saxton and Alex Riley have transitioned to the announcers’ side; and David Otunga may not be long for the big leagues. Caveats aside, however, here is the Masked Man’s NFL-style draft board of rising NXT and WWE talent.

http://grantland.com/features/wwe-nfl-draft-masked-man-top-prospects-roman-reigns-bray-wyatt-triple-h/

3) CHRIS NOWITSKI: His abbreviated WWE career led to him becoming a prominent advocate for athletic head trauma injuries. I know there has been some controversies with his actual involvement, but he's become a really public face in what's arguably the most important sports story of the past few years. The concussion issue has really trickled down to Little League sports levels and is changing equipment, safety measures, and I'd also imagine insurance premiums.

If you've seen the documentary Head Games, there's this part where Nowitski is doing a talk on concussions and completely eviscerates this high school coach who is trying to say they're not a big deal.  Something like "I don't want to say what I'm actually thinking, because I'm concerned that you might lose your job."  Wrestlers finding success outside of wrestling just makes me so happy for some reason.  I felt the same way when Brock won his UFC title, actually.

• Like 2

Miz was WWE Champion and seems to have transitioned into a role where he doesn't have to wrestle much. Also he probably still one of the higher paid guys on the roster and locked down Maryse.

I mean he's awful but he's found the most success.

I don't really even count Miz's Tough Enough as a real Tough Enough, since it was just segments on Raw and Smackdown. They didn't even have to move.

Naw that fell through. I just got tired and stayed home, was gonna go with my friend Duckman but he wanted to stay home too and just decided to pull the plug on that idea. Plus you said it sucked haha. We have plans to go next time they come around however. The review will be on the blog for sure