DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

What is missing from wrestling is real strengths and weaknesses in the character's wrestling abilities. As good as wrestler B looks in the ring and is promoted, wrestler A who is positioned higher on the card will beat him 10/10 times.

I would love a character who is collecting a paycheck but is presented as someone who when motivated could beat anyone. Now that I think about it, why not just give Del Rio that gimmick because he's already playing it to a t.

They have this.  It's just some weird mystical "stamina/toughness" thing.  As you move up the card, fewer and fewer moves will pin you. 

I wonder what WCW's pyro budget was. They had WrestleMania levels of pyro every Monday

And Thursday's on Thunder.  I remember there being a Thunder where they set off so much pyro that you couldn't see anything but smoke in the arena.  It took a good 15 minutes before you could actually see a match.  They just blew the shit out of every arena.  

What is missing from wrestling is real strengths and weaknesses in the character's wrestling abilities. As good as wrestler B looks in the ring and is promoted, wrestler A who is positioned higher on the card will beat him 10/10 times.

I would love a character who is collecting a paycheck but is presented as someone who when motivated could beat anyone. Now that I think about it, why not just give Del Rio that gimmick because he's already playing it to a t.

They have this.  It's just some weird mystical "stamina/toughness" thing.  As you move up the card, fewer and fewer moves will pin you. 

I don't think that's quite what he meant though. I think he means it would be great if a relatively low guy was a bogeyman for a particular main-eventer and stuff like that. You occasionally see that as a quick feud, but usually higher up guy gets his jobs back with interest (see Orton-Kingstion feud).

If Flair pairs up with Miz as is talked about, I kinda hope we see Miz go against Cena again - just because Miz can say he went toe-to-toe with Cena at Wrestlemania. Miz can claim he has his number. Likewise Wyatt will be able to do the same with Daniel Bryan once he finishes losing to Cena.

The only really outrageous pyro story I heard about the WWE was from a DVD or behind-the-scenes thing. They had extra pyro after Raw went off the air and wanted to get rid of it. Batista happened to be out there and they shot it off to end the show. They liked it and that's how Batista got his pyro.

WWE needs the anti-Cena.  The slacker who doesn't Hustle, doesn't have Loyalty, and is not concerned about Respect.  You can see him, mostly wandering around avoiding talking to fans and make a wish kids.  His nickname could be the Doctor of Shruganomics.  

I saw Orange Cassidy at the Masked Republic lucha show at the ECW arena a couple weeks ago (great great show) and he could do this gimmick right out of the chute. He was over.

- RAF

• Like 1

Today's thing that makes me happy: We're now at a point where talking about the likely team of DDP/ Jake Roberts/ Scott Hall being an awesome but unlikely entrant for Chikara's King of Trios is a reality.

He seems to be back in sorts. It sounds like he was having panic attacks last week. Went into the hospital and was let out on Friday. He was at Smackdown with his son yesterday.

Bosil6CIEAAglKD.jpg

Oh, for the love of Christ.  The following was just posted on Facebook:

Rumor going around once CM Punk contract is up on June 1st he will be making his long awaited return to Ring Of Honor sometime in June

I thought Punk was under contract until July.

• Like 1

You just need to file the necessary paper work, however it's very complicated therefore so few people have pyro.

Is it more complicated than the US title paperwork?

It's not so much that it's complicated, it's just that it keeps catching on fire, you know.

Oh, for the love of Christ. The following was just posted on Facebook:

Rumor going around once CM Punk contract is up on June 1st he will be making his long awaited return to Ring Of Honor sometime in June

I thought Punk was under contract until July.

I want to say never pay attention to a rumor that doesn't follow basic rules of grammar...but on the other hand, Meltzer.

• Like 1

We all know he will be the first Global Force "major shareholder"

More likely.

Punk in ROH could be fun, he can almost be their Brock Lesnar. He can do what he wants obv, but I'd be slightly surprised to see him heading down to Planet Jarrett. Ultimately, he's probably just talking to everybody and making sure it gets out as leverage a la Jericho in any discussions with WWE.

Oh shit, I remember that Thunder! The NWO were doing their whole rigamarole almost completely obscured by smoke. It was hilarious; somebody needs to find a video of that.

Is that the same show that had the first DDP/Benoit match?  Because I remember enough smoke in that building to choke a horse.  The Flock did a legitimate surprise run in because they were obscured in fucking smoke like Batman.

• Like 2

Oh shit, I remember that Thunder! The NWO were doing their whole rigamarole almost completely obscured by smoke. It was hilarious; somebody needs to find a video of that.

Is that the same show that had the first DDP/Benoit match?  Because I remember enough smoke in that building to choke a horse.  The Flock did a legitimate surprise run in because they were obscured in fucking smoke like Batman.

I remember an old PWI article about that match, and how the Flock put a smoke machine under the ring to fuck with them. Kayfabe brother.

• Like 1

I just found a guy selling a Monopoly board game signed by Macho Man and Gorgeous George.....

The date was May 21, 1999. My bud Jason (Dukes) and I were driving around town in my Camaro listening to Mancow's Morning Madhouse while partaking in our favorite pastime when Mancow made the announcement that "Macho Man Randy Savage is signing autographs at Tower Records in Schaumburg and he will sign anything that you bring him" Jason and I look at each other and then at my back seat only to see a Chicago Monopoly game and a Frisbee looking back at us, a light bulb simultaneously goes off in our heads and we say to each other "OH YEAH!!! This is gonna be fun"! 20 minutes later will pull into Tower Records parking lot all red eyed and smelling like a Grateful Dead concert, we wait in line for 30-45 minutes while the anticipation builds, we're about to meet one of our childhood idols!!! We approach the autograph table were Randy and his valet/girlfriend Gorgeous George are signing pictures, magazines, action figures, etc. I walk up with my game board in hand and excitedly say to Randy "Macho Man it's so great to meet you!!! You're my all time favorite wrestler!!! Will you sign this for me? Sign it above the Rosemont Horizon where I used to watch you kick ass as a kid"!!! "Sure Brother"!!! Savage replies. Jason slides up next to me and says "Randy you're my favorite wrestler will you sign my Monopoly board too"? Savage says "UH HUH !!! I'm gonna sign this one above Boardwalk brother"!!! While Randy is signing the board I'm nudging Jason and passing him the Frisbee behind my back, while silently mouthing to him "ask him, do it, ask him" Macho Man looks up and Jason's holding the Frisbee in front of Randy's face and says "Will you sign my Frisbee too?" Macho Man then gets up out of his seat and says to us in character "YOU GUYS ARE A LITTLE WAY OUT!!!.....BUT THE MACHO MAN LIKES MONOPOLY!!!!.... OH YEAH!!!!....IM NOT SIGNING FRISBEE'S THOUGH BROTHER!!!!.....GEORGE IS GONNA HAVE TO SIGN THAT!!! Which she did along with the Monopoly board and with that we were on our way. I've met a lot of wrestler's over the years but meeting Macho Man was by far the most memorable and a fun story that Jason and I have enjoyed telling over the years. R.I.P. Randy "Macho Man" Savage....Thanks for the memories!
  • Like 3