DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Did the Hulkamania Tour do well money-wise? It just seems like something that Hogan could have complete control over, and run part time, while doing whatever else he wants, all while giving his friends some decent paydays.

tho it must not've done that great because they hyped up a dvd beforehand that never ended up materializing....

a bunch of the stuff used to be on YouTube tho.

When it comes to wrestling, there's an awful lot of teh stoopid out there.  That's why I come here.

When DVDVR was down, I hit up another board for Raw results/recaps and was amazed at the level of "Oh sure, WWE, keep on pushing John Cena when there's amazing wrestlers like Dolph Ziggler!" and "WWE is the worst, TNA is so much better, I love Mr. Anderson" stuff still out there.  I thought a lot of that thinking had disappeared but it turns out DVDVR is just a superior board.

• Like 5

Random question that occurred to me after re-watching Steamboat's spiffy comeback from 2009 (one of the best parts? Flair giggling like a schoolgirl when Steamboat was going through his spots at Wrestlemania), being that his last match before that was 15 years earlier, what's the longest anyone's ever gone between matches? Pat Patterson would be 14 or so years I think so Steamboat's longer. Mae Young? 

I'm probably forgetting someone really obvious because I am incredibly old.

When it comes to wrestling, there's an awful lot of teh stoopid out there.  That's why I come here.

When DVDVR was down, I hit up another board for Raw results/recaps and was amazed at the level of "Oh sure, WWE, keep on pushing John Cena when there's amazing wrestlers like Dolph Ziggler!" and "WWE is the worst, TNA is so much better, I love Mr. Anderson" stuff still out there.  I thought a lot of that thinking had disappeared but it turns out DVDVR is just a superior board.

A great point but their always gonna be the occasional Phantom Lord roaming around to remind us the mindset spawned back from the days of "OMG BENOIT is the greatest ever Triple H uhhhh Sucks uhhhh" still exists.

• Like 3

A great point but their always gonna be the occasional Phantom Lord roaming around to remind us the mindset spawned back from the days of "OMG BENOIT is the greatest ever Triple H uhhhh Sucks uhhhh" still exists.

As long as Scott Keith lives and breathes his disciples will be out there to tell us that all power wrestlers not named Vader and anyone with backstage influence is a terrible worker...

Is Scott Keith still a thing?  I'd Google him, but it's really not worth the effort.

He's on various podcasts now with people who are sometimes on podcasts with PWO people too so I imagine that's a little uncomfortable sometimes when they intersect considering the pretty glorious Scott Keith note there?

After all these years, I too would like someone to explain to me the 'appeal' of Scott Keith seeing as his reviews literally just consist of him listing the moves during the match and then going, um, ***1/4 but people (idiots) seemed to eat that shit up. I discovered today that he is still a thing and, in 2014, still has followers. I know on here tends to take the piss out of him but there are an awful lot of people out there who hang on his every word and, I mean, shit, there are people out there who have actually paid actual money for his old reviews. This is absurd to me.

I don't mind certain reviews of wrestling and that but I'd rather read a review filled with joy than a review filled with obnoxious miserableness. 

The best part of Teddy Long's wedding is Kristal's inability to get into the ring.  She falls and just slides down the steps at Vince's feet and he just looks away with this incredulous look on his face.

Did the Hulkamania Tour do well money-wise? It just seems like something that Hogan could have complete control over, and run part time, while doing whatever else he wants, all while giving his friends some decent paydays.

The company that promoted it went bankrupt shortly after.  Don't remember if everybody on the tour got paid or not.  Seems like Hogan may not have gotten all his money.

The Chikara comeback show was sloppy, but decent with a hot crowd.

Notable events:

Quack is the new Director of Fun. He was walking around with a cane, so I guess he won't be active.

King of Trios was announced.

Soldier Ant returned as a heel.

Icarus beat Kingston with the Chikara Special to win the Grand Championship.

After all these years, I too would like someone to explain to me the 'appeal' of Scott Keith seeing as his reviews literally just consist of him listing the moves during the match and then going, um, ***1/4 but people (idiots) seemed to eat that shit up. I discovered today that he is still a thing and, in 2014, still has followers. I know on here tends to take the piss out of him but there are an awful lot of people out there who hang on his every word and, I mean, shit, there are people out there who have actually paid actual money for his old reviews. This is absurd to me.

I don't mind certain reviews of wrestling and that but I'd rather read a review filled with joy than a review filled with obnoxious miserableness. 

As a youth his snark filled reviews appealed to me. Now that I'm older I honestly don't see the appeal. I still read what he has to say from time to time, but it's more as a way of gauging where my tastes were at and how they've changed. I mean it's hard to take a guy seriously who thinks early 90s Scott Steiner was a god, Stan Hansen was washed up by 1991, and that Lex Luger was a terrible wrestler in 1990-1991.

• Like 1

I know Teddy long was around for some time before the WCW buyout but Who would've every thought he be one of the most successful "WCW guys" ,ake it in WWE. He started out as a ref in both territories which is even crazier

• Like 1

Keith is from a different era. In the late 90s there was no YouTube and no Wikipedia. Even google was in its infancy and search engines would often give terrible results. It was comically difficult to locate information we now take for granted. Keith was the one guy I can recall who was going backwards and systematically putting reviews together for every old ppv in a easy to search format.

He filled a void and ended up with disciples because of it.

I had no idea he stil existed. Even more shocking is lordsofpain and Mr. Tito still exist, You would think these people would have more important things to do at this point in their lives. It's been 15 years.

• Like 2

What are the results for the Chikara show anyway? I haven't seen any so far ...

No spoiler tags because it was a live iPPV, fer chrissakes.

1) BDK (Tursas, Ares, & Nokken) vs. The Spectral Envoy (UMB, Hallowicked, & Frightmare)
Winner: BDK (Aries pins Tursas via Ragnarok)
2) Chuck Taylor vs. “Smooth Sailing” Ashley Remington
Winner: Ashley Remington tap out via Anchor’s Away
3) The Odditorium (Sinn Bodhi, Oliver Grimsley & Qefka the Quiet) vs. The Batiri (Obaryion, Kodama, & Kobald)
Winner: The Batiri via DQ when Bodhi hit a low blow.
4) Juan Francisco de Coranado vs. Jervis Cottonbelly
Winner: Juan Francisco de Coranado via German Suplex (and a bit of foul play with Jervis’ mask!)
5) 3.0 (Scott “Jagged” Parker & Shane Matthews) vs. 17 & DeviANT vs. The Pieces of Hate (Jigsaw & The Shard) vs. The Throwbacks (Mr. Touchdown & Dasher Hatfield)
Winner: The Throwbacks (Order of Elimination: 3.0, 17 & DeviANT, Pieces of Hate)
6) Jimmy Jacobs vs. Archibald Peck
Winner: Jimmy Jacobs via backspring cutter & a shoe.
7) The Colony: Xtreme Force (Arctic Rescue Ant, Missle Assault Ant, & Obrit Adventure Ant) vs. The Colony (Fire Ant, Green Ant, & Worker Ant/AssailANT)
Winner: The Colony: Xtreme Force (Missile Assault Ant pins Fire Ant via Missile Launcher & foul play)
8) Eddie Kingston vs. Icarus (CHIKARA Grand Championship Match)
Winner: Icarus via CHIKARA Special, becomes the 2nd Grand Champion

Worth noting that, after the show went off the air, it came back on, with all the heels coming out.  This included a huge guy in a gas mask, with wires and stuff, marching out Soldier Ant and Delerious with hoods over their heads.  When they took them off they attacked the Colony and Ultramantis respectively.  Everyone brawled and the huge guy did a chokeslam/backbreaker on Kobald that seemed to imply he was done for awhile.

I thought the show was really fun, not their best, but solid.  All ant match was especially good.

Random question that occurred to me after re-watching Steamboat's spiffy comeback from 2009 (one of the best parts? Flair giggling like a schoolgirl when Steamboat was going through his spots at Wrestlemania), being that his last match before that was 15 years earlier, what's the longest anyone's ever gone between matches? Pat Patterson would be 14 or so years I think so Steamboat's longer. Mae Young? 

I'm probably forgetting someone really obvious because I am incredibly old.

Probably doesn't really count but Danny Bonaduce's first two matches were 15 years apart (Spring Stampede '94 dark match and Lockdown '09 preshow).

Fuck, I forgot about Hogan's celebrity wrestling show in '08.  Never mind.

Edited by cool arrow

Keith is from a different era. In the late 90s there was no YouTube and no Wikipedia. Even google was in its infancy and search engines would often give terrible results. It was comically difficult to locate information we now take for granted. Keith was the one guy I can recall who was going backwards and systematically putting reviews together for every old ppv in a easy to search format.

He filled a void and ended up with disciples because of it.

I had no idea he stil existed. Even more shocking is lordsofpain and Mr. Tito still exist, You would think these people would have more important things to do at this point in their lives. It's been 15 years.

Pretty much sums it up, I used his reviews to read about things retroactively and he'd often fill in the blanks about what was happening backstage during the time too. Then JD Dunn did that, and was a better writer and reviewer, so I completely forgot about Scott Keith

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/dunn