DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

So, Teddy Long's wedding on Smackdown. The most underrated wrestling wedding of all time? From Jagged Edge being interrupted to Festus in a suit to Vince dancing along to the music to the Godfather to Teddy's amazing heart attack. Butch Reed is somewhere in there as well, I believe. It's so good and there's so many great details in the crowd if you look hard enough. Like The Highlanders in kilts.

My great-grandfather once faked a heart attack (long story) for attention and that wedding totally reminded me and my cousins of that incident. We called Teddy Long, "Granddaddy" after that b/c that's what we used to called our great-grandfather.

teddylong.gif

Go on..

So, Teddy Long's wedding on Smackdown. The most underrated wrestling wedding of all time? From Jagged Edge being interrupted to Festus in a suit to Vince dancing along to the music to the Godfather to Teddy's amazing heart attack. Butch Reed is somewhere in there as well, I believe. It's so good and there's so many great details in the crowd if you look hard enough. Like The Highlanders in kilts.

My great-grandfather once faked a heart attack (long story) for attention and that wedding totally reminded me and my cousins of that incident. We called Teddy Long, "Granddaddy" after that b/c that's what we used to called our great-grandfather.

teddylong.gif

The best part of the wedding next to that was when the Ho Train was leaving, Gerry Brisco wanted to go and Pat Patterson made him sit back down.

"Pat, I wanna go with the Ho's...

Gerry, we're here for the wedding."

The look of disapointment on Brisco's face is the best.

So I've been digging Inspire Pro out of Austin, figured I'd share...

They have a librarian gimmicked heel named Paige Turner and a weird fat masked guy called The Great Depression. So I'm sold, is what I'm saying. 

Saw Paige in a match in my town last year. She works lots of the TX/LA/MS feds.

As far as making an immediate impact on a wrestlers career, let's not forget Jose Lothario. He jumps in and helps Shawn win the WWF title, which he had failed at doing so many times. Of course he cost HBK the title when Sid hit him with a TV camera, but he really got Shawn motivated for the Iron Man match. I think he also taught him a Hurancan Rana.

Also, having to deal with Shawn Michaels circa 1996 on a day to day basis will be taken into consideration by St. Peter one day.

So he has THAT going for him. Which is nice.

Until I got to see World Class footage I would have never known he was one of the greatest wwrestlers to come out of Texas.

What the hell is up with the lighting and audio in these?  Are they on a playtime set that Sky uses to let dumbasses pretend to do the news on field trips or something?  Is this being filmed in a kiosk in a mall?

WHY ARE AM SEEING THIS THROUGH SMOKE?????

Those episodes of Sky Sports News were a pretty good effort, normally they end with lingerie clad lovelies running after the host and a small bald man getting patted on the head.

Small boys... In the park... Jumpers for goalposts... I dunno, isn't it?

• Like 5

Those episodes of Sky Sports News were a pretty good effort, normally they end with lingerie clad lovelies running after the host and a small bald man getting patted on the head.

Is a tricycle involved at any point?

The Great Depression gimmick loses a bit of coolness whenever you realize his mask is Oogie Boogie Man from 'A Nightmare Before Christmas'.

Also, there the fact the guy hangs out after the shows unmasked with the other wrestlers. Seems odd.

My great-grandfather once faked a heart attack (long story)

We have time......

I'll have to write this out when I'm working from home tomorrow and some downtime.

... As soon as they're about to start doing CPR and all that, my great-grandfather no sold everything and did what can best be described as an Undertaker sit-up and goes, "I just wanted to see if ya'll loved granddaddy". ...
I wish that I could run out of likes, just on this post alone.

My great-grandfather once faked a heart attack (long story)

We have time......

I'll have to write this out when I'm working from home tomorrow and some downtime.

So basically I was about 5 years old and was staying at my grandma's place for the summer with my aunts, cousins and my great-grandfather. All of my aunts and my grandmom were at work and it was just me, my one 11 year old cousin and my 14 year old aunt and my great-grandfather. We lived out in the country so it wasn't that big of a deal for us kids to roam around everywhere as we had other relatives living nearby. So I'm sitting in the living room with my great-grandfather, watching tv and he just kinda keels over and lays on the ground. Just out of nowhere. I'm 5 years old and have no clue what's going on so I get my cousin and aunt b/c they're older. They freak the fuck out b/c they think he's dead and I remember being pretty calm and saying, "hmmm, maybe we should get Aunt Earline (our retired aunt who lived next door) b/c she's grown-up and you're both still kids like me." So we get my aunt and she comes to the house and she flips out. Calls 911, calls all of our other relatives, get people to come back from work. I remember calling my one aunt who kinda ran the household. Calling her was huge b/c it was she was like the last resort b/c she could not take time off unless it was an absolute emergency. So she hauls ass back to the house. Everyone's at the house, EMT's arrive, etc. As soon as they're about to start doing CPR and all that, my great-grandfather no sold everything and did what can best be described as an Undertaker sit-up and goes, "I just wanted to see if ya'll loved granddaddy". My aunt read him the fucking riot act and the EMTs went nuts but what can you really do to an 85 year old dude? The gif of Teddy Long's heart attack is exactly how he fell out of his chair.

Frankly, I'm offended it took you the better part of the year since you've joined to tell us this story.

Gregg tells us daily stories about trips to the DMV and the first time he figured out how to piss standing up and here you've been sitting on this for this long. 

• Like 18

Is a tricycle involved at any point?