DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Cornette eventually rolled over on Yoko for Vader, didn't he? or was it the other way around?

Other way around. Corny tried to make peace between them, but Yoko cut him loose. Once that was done, Cornette sic'ed his new monster on his former one, but you can't really call that a betrayal on his part.

Yeah that was Owen and Bulldog's mess. 

Oh god, no revisionism on the Bulldog/Warlord matches please. They seemed to fued forever in the most pointless and boring bouts imaginable. The only good thing they were involved in was the Survivor Series 91 team match

Bulldog is probably my 1b or 2nd favorite wrestler of all time and I will never ever watch him vs Warlord again. I put together a Bulldog comp like 7-8 years ago and I must've seen him vs Warlord at least 50 times. The Warlord matches and the Bulldogs matches vs Dream Team are matches I will never ever watch again as long as I live.

Looking at Warlord as a kid and having no sense of workrate at all, I thought he was clearly the next world champ, he just needed to get on a roll.

But it didn't happen. Then again he was a huge face in my figure fed and beat Mumm-Ra for the title, so there's that.

• Like 2

Surely you mean Summerslam '91. The team match at Survivor Series '91 was fucking awful.

What? That match is the only worthwhile thing on the card. The finish is trash but everything before that is really good. Much better than the SummerSlam 91 opener. Though it was fun to see that mysterious newcomer The Dragon.

• Like 1

Oh god, no revisionism on the Bulldog/Warlord matches please. They seemed to fued forever in the most pointless and boring bouts imaginable. The only good thing they were involved in was the Survivor Series 91 team match

No revisionism here, bub. I like watching two beefy dudes trying to keep their fingers locked while applying full nelsons. That's how I roll.

• Like 1

The first thing I think of when I remember those matches is Bulldog or Warlord running into the other person and not moving them. Then Gorilla saying "The irresistable force vs the immovable object."

• Like 1

Narcissist Luger was fucking cool beans. I never got around to re-evaluating his Lex ExpressRun, except for the first Yoko match, which was fine. the character just doesn't play as well.

I'm actually about to go back and look over some of those Slaughter matches. I got hung up on those old PPVs on the Network.

Enjoyed that match until the cop-out quintuple-DQ that ended it...

Yeah, well, that (lack of) finish ruined it for me.  I do agree it was the best match on the show, but all that means is that the show was the drizzling shits.

Iraqi sympathizer Slaughter is a good pick. I hattttted his ass as a kid. To me he was that boring,old GI Joe dude. It made no sense to me that he could compete with Warrior (even with interference) and his match with Hogan was probably the only time in my childhood that I was rooting for Hogan.

Rewatching Slaughter from that era he worked his ass off and sold like a champion for the good guys. Totally changed my opinion of him as an adult.

• Like 2

The first thing I think of when I remember those matches is Bulldog or Warlord running into the other person and not moving them. Then Gorilla saying "The irresistable force vs the immovable object."

In the one I watched, Heenan said that Bulldog would submit to a chinlock because the Queen had told him that the Bulldog was a coward.

In the one I watched, Heenan said that Bulldog would submit to a chinlock because the Queen had told him that the Bulldog was a coward.

I loved when Bobby would say ridiculous stuff like that. Like he had a personal relationship with the Queen and she would talk about the ring prowess of The British Bulldog with him in her spare time.

• Like 1

Iraqi sympathizer Slaughter is a good pick. I hattttted his ass as a kid. To me he was that boring,old GI Joe dude. It made no sense to me that he could compete with Warrior (even with interference) and his match with Hogan was probably the only time in my childhood that I was rooting for Hogan.

Rewatching Slaughter from that era he worked his ass off and sold like a champion for the good guys. Totally changed my opinion of him as an adult.

Then you'd LOVE Slaughter as a heel in Charlotte and WWF in the early 80s. The money matches with Patterson and Steamboat/Youngblood are easy, deserved and obvious choices but he was bumping and selling like crazy for the George Souths and Geriatric Chief Jays of the world, too.
  • Like 1