DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

When Hulk had that in-ring segment with Daniel Bryan on Smackdown right after Mania, I could just imagine Hulk's thought process:  "Don't mention flea markets...don't mention flea markets..."

As a teenager I thought the NWO Wolfpac was awesome. If they continued as a civil war type deal and left Wolfpac as Hall, Nash, Konnan, Savage and Bret feuding with the Black and White NWO led by Hogan while Sting defends his belt against all comers it would have been fine.

• Like 1

So, random question:

As some of you know I'm moving from the Tampa Bay area to the panhandle (Panama City to be exact) thanks to a great job offer I couldn't say no to.

Here's my question: Are there any indy shows up that way worth a spit?

So, random question:

As some of you know I'm moving from the Tampa Bay area to the panhandle (Panama City to be exact) thanks to a great job offer I couldn't say no to.

Here's my question: Are there any indy shows up that way worth a spit?

Not sure about wrestling, but please eat a waffle at the Red Bar in Grayton Beach for me. It's right between PC and Destin.

• Like 1

Be careful up there, the panhandle is the nexus weirdness, going by news reports

I'm from Miami. Bring on your meth crazy, 850.

@Scraylo: I will take any foodie reccomendations you have. I lived in Tally for 5 years but I've been to PC all of a day.

Be careful up there, the panhandle is the nexus weirdness, going by news reports

I'm from Miami. Bring on your meth crazy, 850.

@Scraylo: I will take any foodie reccomendations you have. I lived in Tally for 5 years but I've been to PC all of a day.

HERE WE GO!

There are some cool restaurants in Baytown Wharf, about 20 minutes from PC... The Red Bar has the best brunch on the coast, usually with live bluegrass music. Seagrove Village Market for lunch. Bud N Alley's for drinking. I'm going to go be super homesick for a while now. No I'm not crying.

• Like 1

I'm in the Panhandle. There's a fair amount of indies in Alabama and in some of the smaller GC towns (I know Mossy Head runs shows). Not a lot, however and I went to one in Pensacola  few years ago, but I don't think we have any shows anymore. 

This region is pretty interesting because we've had a ton of wrestlers come from here.  Roman Reigns is from here and a lot of the other Samoans lived here at one time, the Armstrongs are from the region, Percy Pringle, Michael Hayes, Eric Embry, Austin Idol, John Tatum. Gulf Coast Championship Wrestling with the Fullers used to be a pretty big territory and it's a shame I was too young to really experience it. 

Oh, and the Panhandle isn't really that strange. I mean, Panama City is kind of a meth den, but Pensacola is a pretty tourist town with beautiful beaches. We're a tad fundamentalist but you just have to know where to avoid those people. 

• Like 2

He says that no one knew Jericho before him. Then, backtracks the next sentence and when he lists more names.

It comes across as the usual bravado and burial of ECW Bischoff had at the time. Never mind that Heyman brought a lot of the talent into his company, it was HIM that deserves the credit for making them valuable to the WWF.

It's just Sleazy E working his obnoxious charm.

The WWF looked at the NJ3 +1 and thought the guy that had the mist real value was Too Cold.mThe Wwf didn't do much at all with Too Cold.

WCW runs are what convinced people that Benoit, Malenko and Guerrero might have value to the WWF. Even after those runs the WWF weren't sure if guys really knew how to "work" or if all wcw smoke and mirrors that wouldn't work for "smarter" wwf crowd.

Bret was definitely NOT played out as a babyface when he went to WCW. He was the most sympathetic man in wrestling at that point.

As for signs of mis-handling? The seemingly constant, often nonsensical turns. How many times did he turn in two years? At least five right?

He was sympathetic face to Wwf fans who were Bret Hart fans.

Not sure why that would mean shit to a WCW fan for whom he was just an outsider associated with long career in Wwf.

Fuck, Hogan is one of the greatest babyfaces of all time and faced alot of rejection when he came in as outsider and eventually was turned heel.

. Nash and Hall were using their real names and weren't playing characters. They were not the first ones do this but they were the first main eventers who went from being gimmicks to just being themselves. This got over huge. t.

Didn't get over huge or draw much of value till Hogan turned.

By late 1997 though, you would almost have to be a WWF fan to understand why we were supposed to care about of the top guys at that point. Sting was the exception and Hogan made it clear that he wasn't a top guy.

Goldberg, Savage, DDP, Luger, Booker-most of top faces were guys who at that point had WCW history.

By late 1997 though, you would almost have to be a WWF fan to understand why we were supposed to care about of the top guys at that point. Sting was the exception and Hogan made it clear that he wasn't a top guy.

Goldberg, Savage, DDP, Luger, Booker-most of top faces were guys who at that point had WCW history.

In late 97, Goldberg was still on his way up, DDP had just broken into the upper card, Booker was still in Harlem Heat and Savage had only arrived three years earlier. I'll grant you Luger though. 

WCW had just come off of Halloween Havoc 97 where WCW stalwart Roddy Piper defeated Hollywood Hogan. I would imagine that even fewer people in the audience were aware of Piper's pre-WWF NWA success. There were certainly enough people watching WCW at that point who would know who Bret was. Even still, if WCW had capitalized correctly, they could've attracted WWF fans to their product who sympathized with Bret.

Not sure why that would mean shit to a WCW fan for whom he was just an outsider associated with long career in Wwf.

Eh, by 1997 there wasn't really WWE/WCW fans.  Both feds had comprehensive international TV coverage.  It wasn't like the 80s where certain fans could only watch certain feds (I know I couldn't see WCW, save for PPV or a couple shows here and there or TBS free preview weekends, on a weekly basis until some time in the mid-nineties), I think by the late nineties you had less "I'm a WCW fan!" or "I'm a WWE fan!" and more "I'm a wrestling fan".  I mean, people had their preference of shows, but I don't think there was really any "I don't like so-and-so because he's a WCW guy/WWF guy" anymore.

• Like 3

Eh, by 1997 there wasn't really WWE/WCW fans.  Both feds had comprehensive international TV coverage.  It wasn't like the 80s where certain fans could only watch certain feds (I know I couldn't see WCW, save for PPV or a couple shows here and there or TBS free preview weekends, on a weekly basis until some time in the mid-nineties), I think by the late nineties you had less "I'm a WCW fan!" or "I'm a WWE fan!" and more "I'm a wrestling fan".  I mean, people had their preference of shows, but I don't think there was really any "I don't like so-and-so because he's a WCW guy/WWF guy" anymore.

This.

I think a lot of the Hogan rejection in 1994 came from the fact that they were still a primarily Southern promotion. Nitro was a major paradigm shifter for WCW.

FWIW: Older fans still clung to their promotion though. My dad was a hardcore WWWF/WWF guy and refused to ever watch WCW.

This.

I think a lot of the Hogan rejection in 1994 came from the fact that they were still a primarily Southern promotion. Nitro was a major paradigm shifter for WCW.

FWIW: Older fans still clung to their promotion though. My dad was a hardcore WWWF/WWF guy and refused to ever watch WCW.

that, and they turned Flair heel for Hogan, and tried to run WCW like it was the WWF, in front of fans who were WCW fans and not WWF fans

This.

that, and they turned Flair heel for Hogan, and tried to run WCW like it was the WWF, in front of fans who were WCW fans and not WWF fans

I always felt like WCW was in between a rock and a hard place when it came to bringing in Hogan. You obviously want wrestling's biggest star but he was also a total mismatch for early 90s WCW. I'm not sure how you introduce Hogan seamlessly into the fabric. 

Eh, by 1997 there wasn't really WWE/WCW fans. Both feds had comprehensive international TV coverage. It wasn't like the 80s where certain fans could only watch certain feds (I know I couldn't see WCW, save for PPV or a couple shows here and there or TBS free preview weekends, on a weekly basis until some time in the mid-nineties), I think by the late nineties you had less "I'm a WCW fan!" or "I'm a WWE fan!" and more "I'm a wrestling fan". I mean, people had their preference of shows, but I don't think there was really any "I don't like so-and-so because he's a WCW guy/WWF guy" anymore.
We know this to be untrue. When WCW died people assumed that those fans who weren't already wwf fans would just go watch wwf. It didn't happen, those wcw fans just moved on with their lives. The feds had different and often vocally different fanbases.

The idea of bringing a guy in and trying to babyface him based on the finish of a WWF payperview is TNA level dumb.

If he came in after Owen's death, that would be event you could babyface him from.