DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I said a while back that TNA should just move to the UK. Just do the TV tapings here, some house shows here, tour Europe, the Middle East, Africa etc, go back to the US to do the 4 annual PPVs. Can't think of a reason not to do it.

Are we in the era where the "cool heel" or "shades of grey" can finally draw money? Or at least be something rad? I used to hate cool heels, and I guess I still do on principle. But the Shield were cool heels until recently, and right now the Wyatt Family, Bad News Barrett, and Cesaro are all heels that have a good 25% of the audience on their side. And I love all those guys. So does this stuff work now because the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and Heath Ledger's protrayal of the Joker have made us a society that loves heels?

Or has it always really been this way? Certainly when Randy Savage and Roddy Piper were at their hottest, they even had a few supporters.

Am I just rambling like a madman not making any real sense? Yep. But I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

• Like 2

I said a while back that TNA should just move to the UK. Just do the TV tapings here, some house shows here, tour Europe, the Middle East, Africa etc, go back to the US to do the 4 annual PPVs. Can't think of a reason not to do it.

Except that the few talents they have left might conceivably balk at having to move overseas.

The failure of Ring Ka King would probably be one reason.

Guys, tonight is going to be 19 on one with Dean Ambrose being the one...taking on 19...

You know where I'm going with this, right?

Dean Ambrose is taking on 19 men.

I'm pretty sure there's a joke there...

It's just...Is it too easy? 

It raises an interesting academic question.

From a purely theoretical perspective, can a

FACIALS

joke be too easy?

Are you trying to get this thread locked? We're not that far removed from all that "kissing penises" talk.

No worries.  I used up all my cheapest material on twitter.  I'm using it like a exhaust filter now.

Are we in the era where the "cool heel" or "shades of grey" can finally draw money? Or at least be something rad? I used to hate cool heels, and I guess I still do on principle. But the Shield were cool heels until recently, and right now the Wyatt Family, Bad News Barrett, and Cesaro are all heels that have a good 25% of the audience on their side. And I love all those guys. So does this stuff work now because the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and Heath Ledger's protrayal of the Joker have made us a society that loves heels?

Or has it always really been this way? Certainly when Randy Savage and Roddy Piper were at their hottest, they even had a few supporters.

Am I just rambling like a madman not making any real sense? Yep. But I've been thinking about this a lot recently.

It's not like cool heels in popular culture are new: al capone, bonnie and clyde. Even farther back: richard iii, macbeth, falstaff, ...

BTW, why IS TNA so popular in the UK?  I mean, I get that they have a handful of UK wrestlers, but surely there are better-booked - probably better booked - UK feds, are there not?  Why is the UK so TNA-crazy?!

The same reason David Hasselhoff is so popular in Germany.... nobody knows.

• Like 1

BTW, why IS TNA so popular in the UK?  I mean, I get that they have a handful of UK wrestlers, but surely there are better-booked - probably better booked - UK feds, are there not?  Why is the UK so TNA-crazy?!

The same reason David Hasselhoff is so popular in Germany.... nobody knows.

Main reason: TNA is available on the nationwide TV channel Challenge TV, as opposed to WWE which you need a cable/satellite hookup to get.

The two nationwide (i.e. across England) promotions are LDN and All-Star - both may have their moments (I think the latter more than the former) , but both are fairly family-orientated and not especially focused on ongoing storylines.

ICW could maybe do something if they can get on TV, but that's a pretty big if.

Lots of other small promotions holding regional shows, and a few people putting on irregular 'supercards' (Dragon Gate UK, IPW:UK etc) - but nothing really to compete with TNA.

Not sure the reaction this will draw but here goes...

Michael Cole was saying something tonight that people are buying into the Wyatt message and the family is growing. It made me wonder: should they add someone to the family at this point? Would it throw off the chemistry? And if they did do they bring in a developmental guy or have a guy on the roster currently join so they have more of an effect?

Michael Cole was saying something tonight that people are buying into the Wyatt message and the family is growing. It made me wonder: should they add someone to the family at this point? Would it throw off the chemistry? And if they did do they bring in a developmental guy or have a guy on the roster currently join so they have more of an effect?

Add a female member.

Add a female member.

They had a female member for a minute in NXT, I don't remember who. You saw her in the initial vignettes last year.

Shit, bring back Sereena Deeb. She can play cult member well, is a great worker, and she's hot.

Add a female member.

They had a female member for a minute in NXT, I don't remember who. You saw her in the initial vignettes last year.

Shit, bring back Sereena Deeb. She can play cult member well, is a great worker, and she's hot.

Audrey Marie was in the vignettes I think. Was going to mention this in the What Ifs thread, it fits this topic better now but Ivelisse Velez actually said recently that she was originally planned to portray Sister Abigail and that they had filmed promos for it a week or two before she got released. Would've been interesting and she's one of the best female workers around, always wanted to see her succeed in WWE. Agreed on the Serena Deeb mention as well.

Random DVDVR Dream Show put up on a torrent site today.

IWA Japan
Mike Rotundo Retirement Show
May 4th, 2004
Korakuen Hall
Tokyo, Japan

1. YUJI KITO & Ultra Seven vs. Hideki Nishiyama & Katsuya Kishi
2. Omawari-san vs. The Thief
3. Nozomi Takesago vs. Chocoball Mukai
4. The Great Takeru & Jaguar Yokota vs. Kappa Kazou & Etsuko Mita
5. George Hines & Giant Kimala II vs. Leatherface & Freddy Krueger
6. Mike Rotundo Retirement Match: Mike Rotundo, Barry Windham & Ryo Miyake vs. Animal Warrior, Jim Duggan & Keizo Matsuda. (Special Guest Enforcer Referee: Ted DiBiase)

I loved Audrey Marie slithering on the tree like a Biblical serpent in her Southern Gothic clothing. I could see them totally using her as some creepy temptress there to seduce people into the Wyatt fold.

They don't need to bring in a new member quite yet. Obviously that's an angle they'll do at some point, but they can save it when they want to make a new character/change someone who is stale.

I really would love it if Kofi became a Wyatt.