DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

What are some spots or moves that you guys dislike, but there's one example that you think looks amazing? Example: as a general rule, I dislike the Flatliner, but Bray Wyatt's version looks awesome. I think it's because too often, it doesn't look impactful, or when it does, it's not match ending. I've seen versions just like his that look like they should lay a guy out, but the guy gets back up, or it's used as a transition move. I dislike that, but the few times I've seen Bray use it (full disclosure, I don't have tv or Internet at my house, so I only watch wrestling when I'm somewhere with wifi I can use), it looks deadly. Are there other moves like that out there that you feel that way about? And not necessarily a specific wrestler doing them, it could just be a specific way of applying the hold or performing the move that you don't feel is done enough

I hate that spot where a guy is laying on the middle rope, hanging on to the top rope waiting for someone to drop a leg on him. But I've seen it done where a guy was getting into the ring and someone just pounced him and it was perfect. I can't remember who or when it was.

There was a match on Hardcore TV in 96 between Mikey and Sabu where they did that spot and instead of just laying there like a goof while Sabu got into position, Mikey sold it like he was struggling to regain his balance and use the ropes to pull himself right side up. It still looked contrived, but not nearly as awful as normal.

p.s. Mikey Whipwreck was awesome.

Another Mikey Whipwreck fan here particularly the Unholy Alliance version with Yoshihiro Tajiri and the Sinister Minister. The match you're talking about did happen in 1996, thinking it was the one at Massacre on Queens Boulevard 1996.

• Like 1

Holy crap I've never seen that second one to Rey. That is freaking awesome.

I have to ditto the hate of the rope hung leg drop spot. I get the psychology of the move, since it's supposed to hurt more, but actually getting into position for it is terrible. I've always thought it'd be cool for someone to clearly set up for it, only for the other person to slide between the ropes at the last second. The person doing the leg drop could either miss, or if they're supposed to be a great high flyer, I always thought it'd be awesome for them to transition into a dropkick. Not enough people adapt on the fly in pro wrestling. They either hit the move they were planning on hitting or they miss.

As for other spots, I have an abnormal level of hatred for the slingshot into the corner spot. It doesn't even physically make sense. And in a similar vein, I probably like flapjacks more than I should. I love the visual of a guy just throwing a dude in the air and just letting him fall

Holy crap I've never seen that second one to Rey. That is freaking awesome.

Worth seeing the match it takes place in:

Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erick Rowan vs. Goldust/Cody Rhodes/Rey Mysterio. WWE RAW, 10th February 2014.

Help! I'm trying to find something really random from WCW.

I forget when it was, but one of Col. Parker's goons won some title, leading to a victory celebration in their dressing room or what have you. It was awesome because all of these floozies were hanging out with Bunkhouse Buck and Dirty Dick. I can't remember when the hell it was. Anyone help?

I forget when it was, but one of Col. Parker's goons won some title, leading to a victory celebration in their dressing room or what have you. It was awesome because all of these floozies were hanging out with Bunkhouse Buck and Dirty Dick. I can't remember when the hell it was. Anyone help?

Not positive, but it sounds like 'Bash at the Beach 94' where they interviewed Arn Anderson after he'd turned on Dustin Rhodes and aligned with the Studd Stable.  I vaguely remember Arn, wearing his bifocals, getting doused with champagne.

There was a match on Hardcore TV in 96 between Mikey and Sabu where they did that spot and instead of just laying there like a goof while Sabu got into position, Mikey sold it like he was struggling to regain his balance and use the ropes to pull himself right side up. It still looked contrived, but not nearly as awful as normal.

p.s. Mikey Whipwreck was awesome.

I think the move would work best if it's a tag team spot. Like if Randy Orton pulled a guy over the middle rope and then Batista did a 450 splash on top of him.

• Like 5

Not positive, but it sounds like 'Bash at the Beach 94' where they interviewed Arn Anderson after he'd turned on Dustin Rhodes and aligned with the Studd Stable.  I vaguely remember Arn, wearing his bifocals, getting doused with champagne.

Yep! That's it!

I absolutely love pretty much any well done tag team moves. If it looks like the team is working like a team as opposed to working like two guys who share a tag rope, I'm into it. Maybe it's because whenever I've talked about wrestling after I finish training, it's been as a tag team with my brother, but I have some pretty strong opinions about tag team wrestling

Wembley Arena is not Wembley Stadium.

Unleas you meant the tour in genral.

Well yeah - the tour and specific wrestlers.

Though because I am tired - I was also confusing Arena and Stadium

BTW, why IS TNA so popular in the UK?  I mean, I get that they have a handful of UK wrestlers, but surely there are better-booked - probably better booked - UK feds, are there not?  Why is the UK so TNA-crazy?!

BTW, why IS TNA so popular in the UK?  I mean, I get that they have a handful of UK wrestlers, but surely there are better-booked - probably better booked - UK feds, are there not?  Why is the UK so TNA-crazy?!

I don't know, the only thing I can put it down to, is that it is shown on Challenge TV which is a channel more people have than Sky Sports, which WWE is on.

BTW, why IS TNA so popular in the UK? I mean, I get that they have a handful of UK wrestlers, but surely there are better-booked - probably better booked - UK feds, are there not? Why is the UK so TNA-crazy?!

Totaul Nonstoup Actioun

• Like 1