DVDVR Message Board

RIP: Bob Hoskins

odessasteps

Mona Lisa (my personal favourite), The Long Good Friday, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, TwentyFourSeven and he's such a great creepy bastard in Felicia's Journey. He was also in some dreadful shit but you always remembered him.

The only good thing about the news is he won't have to suffer through Parkinson's disease anymore.

For a long time he was British cinema. RIP :(

Supermario20--article_image.jpg

Ciao, Mario.

Bob Hoskins was a GREAT dance partner. He was a re-actor if there ever was one, always taking in and giving back. Watch him roll with Dustin Hoffman in Hook or Judi Dench in Mrs. Henderson Presents. He's a perfect compliment to these folks. You can tell he had a vivid imagination, and it's his performance that makes Roger Rabbit work - he sees something. A great, creative artist that always came through even when the rest of the film didn't (see above photo). 

• Like 2

To add on to what has already been said, he was so awesome in Hollywoodland too.

"Whose goin' wipe the blood off your hands."

"....My hands? I'm in da picture bizness."

Yes you were, Bob. Yes, you were.

Goddammit. The Long Good Friday is one of my favorite films ever. The look(s) on his face in that clip above are like the five stages of grief given to life within a handful of minutes, as he realizes he's not just going to be executed, but the IRA are going to take him to the backwoods and torture him. Hook, Roger Rabbit, even horrible-ass Mario Bros... damn. RIP

To add on to what has already been said, he was so awesome in Hollywoodland too.

"Whose goin' wipe the blood off your hands."

"....My hands? I'm in da picture bizness."

Yes you were, Bob. Yes, you were.

Hoskins was excellent as a stone cold bastard in Hollywoodland.

• Like 1

Elevated everyone around him and could make the worst material watchable. There are "movie stars" and there are "actors", Mr. Hoskins was an ACTOR, one of the very best. 

RIP.

• Like 1

Whoever picked Long Good Friday for the old DVDVR Movie Club is owed my eternal thanks. What a great movie and epic performance by Hoskins.

And of course I've probably watched Roger Rabbit so many damn times I could give you the dialogue with the sound off.

When he popped up in Snow White a couple years back I was like "Damn, where's he been?" I guess guys like Ian McShane and Bill Nighy have kinda taken over the area he would've dominated years earlier. If anything, its sad he passed when I'm sure he had another memorable performance or two left to give - not that he hasn't already given more than enough of them.

Too bad Zemeckis couldn't get his act together on Roger Rabbit 2. Now even if he does, it won't be the same without Eddie Valiant. 

Rest in peace to Bob Hoskins.  Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite movies of all time and his performance in it is simply incredible.  Especially considering he had to act to virtually nothing through large chunks of that movie.  

He was a tremendous villain in Unleashed and was a great Hollywood executive in Hollywoodland.  He was actually starting to pop up again lately (Snow White and the Huntsman) and seemed to be having a resurgence before he got sick.

Thanks for all the memories Bob Hoskins.