DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR BOOK CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS

jaedmc

YES!

When Mark told me he was thinking about picking it I started pestering him to go ahead and pick it because I just got it from Ed and it gives me the excuse to finish it.

Plus the added bonus is that I know a few people around here have just read it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Point Standings as of NOW, I'll be drawing this around 3:00 pm Chicago time today, if there's some corrections I need to make, let me know.

Matt D - 2

Jae - 1

Shane -1

Beast - 3

username - 1

JRGoldman -2

Rippa - 1

Liam - 3

Cameron Swift - 1

Suicide King of Spades - 4

Brisco - 1

Jack - 1

CSC - 1

EVA - 2

BL88 - 1

Jingus - 3

odessasteps - 0

Mea motherfuckin' culpa, I'm the asshole who's kept you guys waiting.  SO sorry.  I blame myself, for deciding that taking all English classes this semester was a good idea (eighteen books I have to read).  And in all honesty: I didn't check in because I didn't expect to get picked.  I usually have bizarre anti-luck when it comes to random drawings; I've never bought a winning lottery ticket, I never get selected for the scholarships and grants I apply for, so forth and so on.  So now that the pressure's on me, damn, I am caught unprepared.  But as apology, I will give you a really nice book: cheap, easy, funny, you might've already read it.  No towering challenge this time.  SORRY~!

I only ever read the first Discworld book but my understanding is that yes - they basically are all stand alone books that obviously occur in the same universe.

Some of the books link together as they have a story arc but it is usually only a few books together. 

So some characters and such will show up in other books.

Shocker the internet has created a suggested reading order

the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

Don't worry, almost every single one of Pratchett's books is perfectly comprehensible as a standalone novel.  It's not a difficult read.  You might not get a few of the jokes if you haven't read all the other books, but that's about it.  I pick my picks with precision.  And it's even timely for current political events!