DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR BOOK CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS

jaedmc

Enjoyed the Altman film, excited to read this.

And actually the copy my library has is part of the Library of America collection of Chandler's later works so it also has Lady In The Lake and Little Sister, as well as the Double Indemnity screenplay.

Yes!

Thank you for pointing this out.  I was about to come here to rant because my library only has the Chinese version of the book but there it is in that collection of later works.

Also - if you are totally in a bind.

They are a few places that have the entire thing posted online (not as helpful as an e-book but you can make it work in a pinch)

Looking at the book, I think this one I might try splitting up over two threads, the first half and second half. I don't know if this'll improve discussion or not, but if it sucks we'll just go back to single threads, for July.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be dropping out on this one. I have the book. I actually went and bought it. But with the World Cup and my mother being in town, I haven't had time to get past the first couple of chapters.

these are the points for today's drawing. I've decided that if you finish a book and comment in the thread you will get points retroactively. This is why Jingus has 2 points. He went back and talked about the MAy book after the deadline. I know people are trying to finish, or have finished but haven't had time to write anything - it's okay. You'll get your point when you're able to join in the finished thread conversation, it'll just go towards next month's drawing. I think this is a good way to make sure if people start a book and then run out of time to finish it, that there's incentive to finish up instead of dropping it and going to the next book.

Matt D - 0

Jae - 1

Shane -1

Beast - 2

username - 1

JRGoldman -2

Rippa - 1

Liam - 0

Cameron Swift - 1

Suicide King of Spades - 1

Brisco - 1

Jack - 1

CSC - 1

EVA - 2

BL88 - 1

Jingus - 2

• Like 1

I don't know if I'll finish in time, it's a shame because from what I've read so far it seems really good. But how could I possibly read a book when Ecuador vs. Honduras and Algeria vs. South Korea have been on the television?

I'm going with one turn. Liam technically could have a point. He said he finished, but was waiting until he wasn't on a phone to actually write about it. Of course I believe Liam just like I believe SKOS, who said he finished it above, but I need a little more than claiming you finished in order for it to count - just as a way to keep the integrity of the club. 

This is another reason why I'm making sure books count retroactively.

To clarify, the completed thread is the thread I check to see who actually finished the book. I split the book into two threads as an experiment to see if it would help people disucss what they're reading without running into spoilers, to keep them excited about the book as they read it.

I didn't read the first half thread, because I never got around to even starting the book. If there was confusion as to what counts and what doesn't, then I apologize. Again, you can still get the point for reading the book, just post something in the COMPLETED thread. Sorry for any confusion, I'm still working out all the kinks in how this operates. Everything is fluid.

Also, how do people even feel about splitting it up. Besides this issue, did anyone feel splitting it up made the experience better? Worse? No effect?