DVDVR Message Board

RAW 4/28

OSJ

Are we not supposed to discuss until after the show is over? If that's the case, my bad; I did not know that. I'll be vague so as not to spoil anything, but the top of the first hour featured the best segment ever and the top of the next hour made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

I'm not sure if the opening was good in a traditional sense, but it was certainly memorable. Tag title match was fun. Sandow's bit as Magneto was silly. The repeat pans over Kane's mask were just silly. A whole lot of nothing happened. Kane tried to drag Brie to hell...multiple times. She kept being frozen with fear. Shield-Evolution stuff wasn't much outside of Flair siding with the Shield - which makes sense since he wasn't included in the new group. This was definitely an underwhelming show, although I think they've lucked into something with Barrett - he's gaining the traction they earmarked for Cesaro.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/04/raw-4-28-14.html

Screens -

1cf7a3323478255.jpg

cf8c08323478337.jpg

537398323478382.jpg

095530323478394.jpg

c95cc5323482522.jpg

6c4f94323482859.jpg

a421e3323482862.jpg

ed6a68323482864.jpg

5366d9323485924.jpg

4b6d14323490250.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/i9q4d80d4bnm6bbkzocgkgglv3wv4yan

The Wyatt/Cena feud is slightly driving me nuts. It's constantly one extreme (like the amazing opening segment tonight) to the other (Cena's later terrible, even when Cena-justed, jokey promo). It's quality whiplash.

And I gave Flair a sort of pass for the breakdown on the Legends of Mania thing when others didn't, but he was totally trashed tonight. I know he can use any type of pay day they can throw him, but they can't put him on air anymore.

Not a good show or a good crowd. RVD needs to be shot into the Sun, Reigns doesn't seem capable of doing a big singles match, his offense was embarrassingly dainty tonight, and Brie is incapable of doing anything involving acting. Opening segment was really cool and I loved the bit with Sandow but other than that it was a pretty mediocre show.

If you're referring to Damien Sandow dressed

up as Magneto, you can go fuck yourself because that was amazing!

I hate to think what went through that poor man's mind when he caught a glimpse of his reflection while waiting for his cue backstage.

Like, there could be a POV chapter by George R. R. Martin called "Damien" and it wouldn't capture the used-up-beat-down-whore-house hopelessness of it.

But, of course, Martin doesn't waste chapters on random sad NPCs.

• Like 1

Flair's promo was the worst thing I've ever seen. Wtf was that.

Alcohol plays tricks on a delusional old man sometimes

So nobody is interested in the weeeeLC match between Torito & Hornswoggle.  Should be a fun match as long as you can tolerate the awful commentary that will come with it

AND HEATH SLATER WON A MATCH  :o

I tuned out halfway through the show and came back at the end. Very awkward segment at the end with Flair coming out, and Ric "endorsing" The Shield didn't seem to get the reaction they wanted, and then seemed to completely kill the crowd for the main event match.

I legit LOL'd at Sandow coming out in that outfit, but the segment that followed went on about 3 minutes too long with them just sort of looking around at each other like somebody forgot their lines, and the end payoff after that entire thing was way too weak.

Not a bad show, per se but I think they've gone slightly askew on things that were effective pre-Mania. 

- I think Cesaro/Heyman WILL work eventually, but it's not working now. Maybe it's the fact that Cesaro went from a burgeoning babyface back to a heel. I don't think anyone wants to see him fight Swagger or, really, RVD, either. It's not that Paul shouldn't be hyping up the Brock thing and trying to get heat, but it just seems we've gone too many weeks from seeing the Cesaro that was uppercutting dudes from a billion angles and then swinging them to the moon.

- I don't think the Kane stuff is dooming Bryan or is meant to make him look weak, but, due to a couple of real-life events, we've gone a bit from seeing Bryan kicking heads in to him having to emote and act, which isn't what got him over. First it was comedy, and then it was great ring-work and being a great babyface. And, while Steph has generally been great, the faux-babyface act just feels a bit played. Hunter has dropped the pretense so Stephanie should do the same.

- I really, really like the opening segment, but, again...we need more Harper/Rowan mauling people.

Now that I type this out I guess I realize that what's missing is that with all these new guys bumped up to de-facto main eventers that have to carry promos and angles after having plenty of time for matches when they were upper-midcard, now we have a mid-card filled up with a lot of stale acts. The dismantling of the tag division after it's brief, glorious resurrection has definitely hurt the match quality too (though I liked the Usos match fine).

Oh...Paige and Brie was really good for the time it was given, not that the announcers gave a shit.   

• Like 1

This would've been a perfect time to bring out Sting to tell The Shield to not trust Flair. Course you'd know that if you ever watchd pro-wrestling as a kid...

• Like 1

Flair's promo was the worst thing I've ever seen. Wtf was that.

Alcohol plays tricks on a delusional old man sometimes

So nobody is interested in the weeeeLC match between Torito & Hornswoggle.  Should be a fun match as long as you can tolerate the awful commentary that will come with it

AND HEATH SLATER WON A MATCH  :o

I can't believe how asleep I was on Hornswaggle as Chriss Angel.  It's so great.  His promo picture for before matches is so fucking awesome.

If they would just get over his size and let him play serious and act like a pompous douche he would be my new #1 favorite character in all the world.

The Wyatt's segment was mint.

That Kane/Bryan/Bella segment reminded me of some discarded Attitude Era angle that someone decided to try and throw back out there.  I'm guessing they're saving the Brie kicks Stephanie's ass bit for the ppv, if they even decide to go there.

The Sandow/Jackman thing was funny.  The bit with 3MB/Los Matadores wasn't. 

I don't see how anyone can find Flair's alcoholism funny.

at this point it seem completely pointless to hope for a change.   He has been that way for decades and even with all of the stuff in the last couple years he is still that way.