DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

Didn't Sterling also buy the team for something like $250,000 when they were in San Diego? I forget the exact number but it was really for nothing.

He paid $15M or so back in the 80s.  Given that the Bucks just sold for $550 without an arena you have to figure he could clear $700M without too much trouble.

The playoff game thread is way too bogged down with this, and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better, so I'm moving the posts over here.  

Take THAT racism. 

• Like 1

My only worry about this is people expecting "more" from the Clippers players. There's only so much you can really expect from them, in the end.

It would be a pretty weird Klingon law where we held employees somehow accountable for the actions of their boss.

I don't really condone putting qulifiers on things like racism, but do you know how racist you have to be to own a NBA team in Los Angeles and get pissed off about your girlfriend taking a picture with Magic Johnson?  Just think about that, if there is a single black person that Donald Sterling should at least tolerate it's Magic Johnson.  There is a fairly easy argument that the league would have died without Magic, and he wouldn't even have a team.  Not to mention that the Showtime Lakers made professional basketball in Los Angeles the #1 sport.  Lakers tickets became so expensive, that the Clippers were able to fill the arena with just Laker runoff fans, because the demand for basketball was so high.  Until very recently he made money hand over fist without even trying to be competitive, because of how popular Magic and the Lakers made basketball in Los Angeles. 

• Like 2

I am upset with Sterling for being a racist asshole but I am even more upset with the league. 

Sterling has a social and legal track record with this shit.  No one gave a damn about it when the Clippers didn't amount to much but now that they are the high profile team in LA, all of a sudden light is being shed on a douchbag that is now dug in.  Anyone that thinks he's just going to walk away from the team is kidding themselves.

The time to remove him as an owner was back in 2006 during the rental discrimination suit against him.  Adam Silver should've grown a pair and suspended him effective immediately from attending any games.  The whole "we are investigating this" bullshit from his press conference lacked spine.

• Like 3

I like the idea of selling the Clips to Donald Trump and moving them back to Buffalo.

Trump doesn't have the money, trust me. That's why he didn't run for President- he'd be required to open the books.

• Like 1

I am upset with Sterling for being a racist asshole but I am even more upset with the league. 

Sterling has a social and legal track record with this shit.  No one gave a damn about it when the Clippers didn't amount to much but now that they are the high profile team in LA, all of a sudden light is being shed on a douchbag that is now entrenched.

The time to remove him as an owner was back in 2006 during the rental discrimination suit against him.

The problem is that they don't really have any legal way to get rid of him.  They can try to force him to sell, but the team is his property and he doesn't have to sell it.  Baseball has anti-trust exemptions that the NBA does not, and getting rid of an owner is going to be very difficult.  Donald Sterling is also the type to take this shit all the way just out of principle.

I like the idea of selling the Clips to Donald Trump and moving them back to Buffalo.

Trump doesn't have the money, trust me. That's why he didn't run for President- he'd be required to open the books.

I like the absurdity. I wouldnt actually want trump involved in any sporta leagues again.

Sterling has a social and legal track record with this shit.  No one gave a damn about it when the Clippers didn't amount to much but now that they are the high profile team in LA, all of a sudden light is being shed on a douchbag that is now entrenched.

The time to remove him as an owner was back in 2006 during the rental discrimination suit against him.

The problem is that they don't really have any legal way to get rid of him.  They can try to force him to sell, but the team is his property and he doesn't have to sell it.  Baseball has anti-trust exemptions that the NBA does not, and getting rid of an owner is going to be very difficult.  Donald Sterling is also the type to take this shit all the way just out of principle.

That sounds like bullshit. On that recording, he clearly says he doesn't like to fight :)

There will be an NBA announcement on Tuesday. Not sure what to expect from that, but Silver's hand is going to be forced by a ton of people, and that's sad. This shouldn't take the forcing of any hands. It should be an automatic "fuck you" followed by a public shaming followed by Mark Cuban taking a shit on Sterling on a very special episode of shark tank where Sterling is actually dropped into a shark tank.

• Like 2

So according to ESPN's legal expert Silver and the other owners can terminate Sterling's ownership and Sterling probably has no chance in court to fight it.

Sterling faces tough challenge

3/4 of the owners would have to vote to terminate Sterling's ownership.  I don't see that happening, not when a great many likely have attitudes similar to their fellow owner.