DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2014

The Natural

New Japan is terrible at these overbooked garbage main events. It's like they're going for an Attitude Era style brawl with the run-ins but it ends up looking like Jarrett in TNA...

If there's one thing you want to stay away from it's Jarrett's title reigns in TNA. Ugh.

Yes!  Well I liked it anyway. I got sleepy last night and didn't make it to the main event but I saw the rest of the card.  Ishii/Honma is the only match I'd say is worth going out of your way to see but I consider most Ishii matches in the last year to fit in that category.

I don't mind AJ winning. I do mind the rematch not being on the NYC ROH card. Who do I blame here? Is this ROH wanting an IWGP title match between 2 of its guys on its show? Or is this NJPW not wanting a title change in the US? To me Okada winning the belt back in New York City would be cool on a few levels.

Am I the only one who could see this being a super short reign with Okada winning the title back in a rematch a month or so from now?

Also, I really thought (and still potentially think) that Okada's title reign was/is gradually going to lead to him vs Nakamura at the Dome at some point. 

I started watching NJPW regularly in 2012, then 2013. I've watched less at this stage in 2014 than the same times in 2012 and 2013. While I like what I have watched, it's not at the level of 2012 and 2013. WWE had an awesome 2013 and they've kept it up.

The card for Yokohama Arena looks absolutely miserable.

Agreed, and not to mention how boring the BOSJ looks this year. I think Taichi is the only guy I'd be excited to see win out of the whole thing, and it's not like that has any chance of happening. 

edit: also just occurred to me that Ibushi isn't in the tournament. instead he's challenging Ishii for the NEVER title in Yokohama. looks like they didn't learn anything from the Deviitt era: the Jr. champ is still ranked so far above all his potential challengers that it makes the whole division look kind of inconsequential. 

The Okada/Styles match wasn't as bad as I was fearing.  The Bullet Club really only got involved three times, but two were brief and one backfired so it wasn't the constant presence I was fearing.  Still prefer that New Japan not go the 'interference' route in title matches but it wasn't like the TNA matches.

Guest Edwin

Anyone have a link to Ishii/Honma? I had a Daily Motion link to it, but now it seems like it's private and I can't access it.

A lot of junk yeah but 2 potential gems. Ibushi vs Ishii can't possibly not be great. Also I'm hoping Tanahasi/Togi vs Shibata/Goto is the beginning of a Tanahashi/Shibata blood fued.

Guest Edwin

Ishii/Honma was amazing.

At this point there's not a single wrestler which I'm not sure Ishii can't have a good match with.

I'm hoping Ishii/Ibushi is as good as Ishii/KUSHIDA from one of the Taiwan cards from a little while ago.

Being the fall guy doesn't necessarily mean he isn't good.

I do think it takes something away from his matches knowing that he is most likely eating the fall. I think he's good just not as good as many people here seem to think.

Eh, Tanahashi and Makabe vs. Goto and Shibata should be good, Ishii and Ibushi will tear it up I'm sure and Okada vs. AJ might not be as bleh this time around. I'm definitely in the minority but I'm interested to see how the Nakamura/Gracie match plays out. I'll order the show because it's only $20 (on the Japanese UStream channel anyway) and at least two of the matches sound great on paper.

Guest Edwin

Saku/Rolles has potential of being better than Nakamura/Daniel. I don't have my hopes up for that though.

Ishii/Ibushi should be fun.

Some photos from my trip to Dontaku this year. I finally decided that I'd rather see the matches than be forced to look up at the video screen to figure out what's happening so I got a 2nd floor seat this year.

Match wise: Yeah, it wasn't the most exciting show.

Honma/Ishii was good because you could feel that it just might happen every time Honma DOESN'T miss the Kokeshi headbutt.

Forever Hooligans at least know how to entertain the Japanese crowd.

The NWA title match was not that long and you never felt Brisco was a threat (which he shouldn't be).

Manabu Nakanishi's hard work (the top rope missile drop kick where he stands on the top for like forever) was ruined by the blown ending.

2nd time I've gotten to see the IWGP title change hands. Makabe over Nakamura in 2010 was more exciting, of course.

As for stuff: Buying the Stan Hansen shirt got you the photo which you could get signed during the intermission. I (and a few others) rushed out as soon as the jr. heavy title match was over to get our photos signed. Most of the shirts were from a grab bag that they sell at the end of the show (the shirts vary in size). I don't know who I hate enough to give the Muscle Orchestra towel to. Wanted to take a photo of poor Mascara Dorado trying to sell stuff and no one giving him the time of day but that seemed cruel.

Just added some photos at the end to show what else was going on in Hakata during Dontaku.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Image00021.jpg

Image00024.jpg

Image00025.jpg

Image00026.jpg

Image00028.jpg

• Like 1

Wanted to take a photo of poor Mascara Dorado trying to sell stuff and no one giving him the time of day but that seemed cruel.

Are they ever going to run Dorada vs. Ishii or Dorada vs. Ibushi or something? What's the point of having him over there if it's only in throwaway multi-man tags? I remember Negro Casas coming over for one of the Dontaku shows and tearing the house down for 7 minutes with Liger. I mean, Dorada isn't a great wrestler but he's a first-rate highspot machine and I'd definitely watch him against Ibushi or Kushida. Is he staying over for BOSJ or something?

Yeah, I read somewhere he was in the tournament.

edit: just got this from puroresufan.com

Block A:
- Jushin Thunder Liger
- TAKA Michinoku
- Mascara Dorada
- Ricochet
- Alex Koslov
- KUSHIDA
- Matt Jackson
- BUSHI

Block B:
- Tiger Mask
- Ryusuke Taguchi
- Alex Shelley
- Kenny Omega
- Rocky Romero
- Nick Jackson
- El Desperado
- Taichi

There'll be some good matches in amongst that, good to see Ricochet back, hopefully Desperado can get back to his form from Mexico, and we'll at least get a bunch of TAKA matches, which I always enjoy.