DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-21-14

MGFanJay

Bayley seems like a perfect fit for NXT but not sure she would get over on Raw.

I actually think Bayley would have the easiest time getting over as long as they spent time building her properly with short segments. They went too fast with the Emma/Santino pairing. Didn't give time for the crowd to get into her weird dance before putting her with someone the crowd doesn't hate but are mostly apathetic towards save the occasional moments.

I really think they could support an hour long divas show (wrestling, that is, not Total Divas) on the network and give the girls actual ring time.  Have a handful of matches, some promo segments, etc.  Give them a chance to develop their in-ring ability and their characters more.  Put it on, like, Wednesday night or something.

I would love to see this. It would be the best and probably only way to get the crowds to give a damn about the divas as a whole. Unfortunately it probably won't be happening any time soon.

The first step in the right direction would be to get rid of the term "diva".

• Like 3

The first step in the right direction would be to get rid of the term "diva".

The day of the Glorious Bloodless revolution cannot come fast enough that saves us from WWESPEAK.  Diva, Superstar, Sports Entertainment, Universe.

I really really really hope that one of the HHH things when Vince totters off to race hoverounds through the parking lot of the old folks home is getting rid of that branding language.

LET ME ENJOY WORDS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

8 pages about the state of the divas division is fucking weird because

1. Neither segment received a ton of time

2. Neither Emma nor Paige did anything remotely offensive. Yes, creative could have done a better job with Emma and she needs to get rid of Santino but she'll be fine. Paige is already over.

We need to discuss shit like DA BIG GUY on commentary. Tell me he wasn't the best commentator they've had this side of Regal/Renee on NXT. Disagree with me so I can BREAK YOU.

• Like 1

My problems with Emma have nothing to do with creative and everything to do with her half assing her bubble popping arm movements. Now is not the time to be selling befuddlement or reluctance. Now is the time to be swinging those arms around like you're going through a seizure and selling me on the fact you actually like to do your damn dance.

• Like 1

Anyone have a screencap of when the Wyatts were on the stage and they showed close ups of their faces lit up...that was an awesome visual!

Daniel Bryan getting totally wiped out was crazy, great opening segment.  Steph is next level heeling, she's been awesome.

Sheamus/Barrett was badass, those 2 guys never hold back on each other

Santino/Emma cracked me the hell up with the cobras getting tangled together.  Also, Dat Layla

Paige/Aksana was great, it was like if Regal & Finlay had daughters for a second there

Dat Lana....OMG.  Oh yeah, Rusev is cool too

I don't get all the RVD hate either.  It's not like he's winning any major matches and getting a major push, he's putting over the next generation of heels and being used to elevate the Barrett kind of guys.  Exactly how he should be utilized.

I was really hoping the crowd would go with the Harper vs Cena singles match, but I get the story they are going for.  The Wyatt promo was awesome, this angle is getting so good...can't wait for Extreme Rules!

So... which member of the creative team are you?

Maybe you should get out in the sun more and get a tan, that Vitamin D deficiency is making you a real Debbie Downer

Hey! I liked last night's show more than most. Don't you be calling me a Debbie Downer. Not saying I'm a real Positive Petey, but I ain't no Debbie Downer.

Petey is Paige?  holy crap!

Truth be told, I am very pale. So, there's that.

• Like 1

We need to discuss shit like DA BIG GUY on commentary. Tell me he wasn't the best commentator they've had this side of Regal/Renee on NXT. Disagree with me so I can BREAK YOU.

Ryback was surprisingly good on commentary. I liked how Cole, JBL, and Lawler were openly admitting that they're terrible.

I will usually not rag on the commentary, but is it Lawler's job now to rip on new arrivals? Last week it was Rusev's ring gear.  This week Paige's lack of skin pigment.  I thought commentators were supposed to get wrestlers over.

My problems with Emma have nothing to do with creative and everything to do with her half assing her bubble popping arm movements. Now is not the time to be selling befuddlement or reluctance. Now is the time to be swinging those arms around like you're going through a seizure and selling me on the fact you actually like to do your damn dance.

You truly are an overly critical man.

• Like 3

The Shield segment illustrated that, while the three of them are great as an in-ring unit, Ambrose is the only one of them that's really good on the mic.

I think it's not so much that the other two aren't good on the mic, but more that Ambrose is so good he makes others look like crap in comparison.

I did think Rollins' speech was a bit overly long, though.

• Like 1

Rollins sounded like he was forgetting his lines. The Hollywood jab at Batista was good, and he has done a lot of good promo work lately, but this was not one of his better efforts. Honestly, none of them really delivered much here, and their "ultimatum" getting blown up by The Game 30 seconds later made it even worse. For the record, I'm not calling that a burial or anything, but the combination of a flat promo and the segment being designed to end with the heels escaping just made for a bad-looking segment.

Liked the opener with Kane's Tombstone Piledrivers on Daniel Bryan. Learnt today about Bryan's father passing away. My best wishes go out to his during this sad time. I also enjoyed Bad News Barrett vs. Sheamus. Barrett's had some bad luck with the way the Nexus ended, some puches and especially the dislocated elbow in THAT Battle Royal on Raw in early 2012. I really like the Bull Hammer finish.

I might have to go back and watch all the Cena/Wyatt stuff I've skipped since like..Elimination Chamber. I don't want to do it though, so can someone tell me if Bray is actively trying to get the fans to sing along or they're just doing it?

Like many things in WWE, it happened very oganically at Wrestlemania and was a cool moment, so since then the WWE has done everything short of handing out hymnals to make sure it happens exactly like that every week. We are about three weeks away from a video package of fans swaying and singing, Michael Cole talking about how many times it has been downloaded on itunes, and encouraging us to use the hashtag "Wholeworld".

If it doesn't get over, I hope they use the app to poll us on what public domain song Bray should use next. My vote is "Oh Dem Golden Slippers".

"Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum" works better for Issac.

• Like 2

I'm telling you...Wyatt singing "Camptown Races" in slow monotone would be creepy as hell. Especially when he gets to the part where they go "Doo dah! Doo dah!" and then you have 20,000 fans singing along with him.

Didn't ECW crowds use that tune for some memorable chants?