DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-21-14

MGFanJay

Rollins looked like he was running out of gas by the end of his party of the promo. It wasn't bad by any means, but it felt like he was talking for 10 minutes when it was like a minute and a half tops.

Everything about the first Wyatts segment was picture perfect. The promo, Harper and Rowan being lit up by the lights under the stage, Harper going all crazy eyes when the camera focused on him... couldn't ask for anything better outside of Cena/Harper winning the vote and putting on another damn good match.

Cena's backstage promo is really getting slept on, though. The sense of helplessness on his face when taking about what Bray had been accomplishing and then when the crowd started chanting again was damn good. And the ending bit where he just gives off the aura of a man resigned to his fate was well done.

Yesterday was pretty shitty for me like Bryan's was(though nowhere close to the same extent), so my heart goes out to him and his family.

On that same note, I laughed at Emma's cobra and the cobras trying to mingle. Yeah, it was lousy and stupid, but fuck it, it felt good to laugh at something lousy and stupid and I have no regrets.

Sheamus/Barrett was fucking awesome. Hopefully Wade won't get injured again like every other time they've thought about giving him a push.

• Like 1

I think that's a wee bit unfair. That segment had the feel of a NWO segment from back in the day where like 10 people had to talk. Reigns was the 6th person to talk during that segment. I can't remember the last time there was something like that.

Reigns on the mic is like Reigns in a match. Define his role well, and limit him to something short and sweet, and he'll knock it out of the park, but he's not yet ready for prime time.

Sheamus/Barrett was really good, but the rest of this show was fast forward material.

RVD is atrocious. I don't know how a 10 minute match with Cesaro (and a tiger driver 91) could end up being nearly unwatchable, but making Cesaro work at 25% speed so RVD can stumble through spots that were cool 15 years ago with the grace you'd expect from a 43-year-old is one way. Throw in an attempt to make Jack Swagger relevant again and you probably have Cesaro's worst match in WWE. And I'm totally in agreement with whoever said the Cesaro/Heyman pairing isn't working. Talk about two great tastes that don't taste great together.

The Shield/Evolution segment didn't do it for me this week either. Still looking forward to the match at ER, but this felt like total filler. At least Batista and Orton are allowed to wear real clothes again.

The Bryan segment was what it was. Kane still does nothing for me, and this feels exactly like the Kane/Cena feud a couple years back except without Zack Ryder. We'll see if Daniel Bryan can hold on to the "Being John Cena" title by getting his stretcher/ambulance match with Kane as the main event.

Cena/Wyatt is another match I'm still looking forward to, but not due to anything that happened this week.

I think there is a clear line on Emma:  Good solid human beings who watch NXT support her, terrible awful people who don't watch NXT are going to be beheaded in the #EMMAlution.

• Like 8

I feel like the Emma haters are misreading her projection of ditzy befuddlement as a lack of interest in the character on her part. I will grant that she needs to be seperated from her current stint as valet to a comedy act sooner rather than later before it defines too much.

• Like 2

I feel like the Emma haters are misreading her projection of ditzy befuddlement as a lack of interest in the character on her part. I will grant that she needs to be seperated from her current stint as valet to a comedy act sooner rather than later before it defines too much.

I like Santino, but he really is a kiss of death. Last night when I posted I simply was stating that she has made the most of a pairing that was designed to fail. The whole bit with the Pink Cobra and them tangling up was pretty damn funny. Sure it does nothing for her, but it was funny as hell to watch.

BlylMqrIQAEThxO.jpg

I can't possibly hate on this.

I think Aksana does great with character stuff but her wrestling has always been kind of messy. Having said that, it was great to see the Divas given some time to work. I think having the two of them stuck in the Diva death slot contributed to the crowd's non-reaction. So hope they get more opportunities like this and less 80 women clusterfucks.

Poor Emma. If any wrestler suffers from the lack of match time, it's her. She went from kooky wrestling machine on Nxt to just kooky. This does not bode well for Bayley.

I really think they could support an hour long divas show (wrestling, that is, not Total Divas) on the network and give the girls actual ring time.  Have a handful of matches, some promo segments, etc.  Give them a chance to develop their in-ring ability and their characters more.  Put it on, like, Wednesday night or something.

• Like 6

I think one goal should be to keep Paige and Emma separate and avoid throwing them in matches together.  Get them over separately and in distinct ways before trying to redo their NXT matches on the main roster.  I still want them to pair Emma off against AJ when she comes back.

• Like 1

I really think they could support an hour long divas show (wrestling, that is, not Total Divas) on the network and give the girls actual ring time.  Have a handful of matches, some promo segments, etc.  Give them a chance to develop their in-ring ability and their characters more.  Put it on, like, Wednesday night or something.

I'm right there with you. Between the Nxt women and the main roster Divas, they certainly have enough talent

I'm right there with you. Between the Nxt women and the main roster Divas, they certainly have enough talent

They'll have enough talent to carry a show like that when they have enough depth to have a divas tag title without feeling like everything will be played out in six months.

WWE Mane Event!

Everyone should go watch Santino/Emma vs. Fandango/Summer on NXT last year. It's one of the best comedy matches of all-time. That's not hyperbole. It's absolutely fantastic. They had some awesome, awesome, awesome chemistry. It didn't translate to the WWE for some reason. But they were absolutely correct in trying to go the route they did since the NXT match was absolutely fantastic.

• Like 1

Everyone should go watch Santino/Emma vs. Fandango/Summer on NXT last year. It's one of the best comedy matches of all-time. That's not hyperbole. It's absolutely fantastic. They had some awesome, awesome, awesome chemistry. It didn't translate to the WWE for some reason. But they were absolutely correct in trying to go the route they did since the NXT match was absolutely fantastic.

It's because NXT and WWE are different worlds. At the most the writers on RAW/Smackdown probably watch clips of NXT and go by summarized notes for character's (at least the ones they don't care about). They obviously are putting effort into Bo Dallas and Adam Rose.

Well it was great because they got a lot of time, i remember it being like a 12-15min match. They hardly get 1-2mins on Raw every week.

Bayley seems like a perfect fit for NXT but not sure she would get over on Raw.

I actually think Bayley would have the easiest time getting over as long as they spent time building her properly with short segments. They went too fast with the Emma/Santino pairing. Didn't give time for the crowd to get into her weird dance before putting her with someone the crowd doesn't hate but are mostly apathetic towards save the occasional moments.

I would love to see this. It would be the best and probably only way to get the crowds to give a damn about the divas as a whole. Unfortunately it probably won't be happening any time soon.

I think there is a clear line on Emma:  Good solid human beings who watch NXT support her, terrible awful people who don't watch NXT are going to be beheaded in the #EMMAlution.

This a million times.  I was saddened to see NXT was so low down in the most watched shows this week, although I all the post-WM specials had a lot to do with that.  But still... fewer viewers than Main Event?

Emma's gimmick and character is working a lot of people on here.

I still remember when the plan for Smackdown was for it to be an all-women show

As long as we're talking about the NXT divas and which ones will/won't translate well to the main roster... I don't think she can work a goddamn lick, but Sasha Banks is going to be a star one day.

• Like 1