DVDVR Message Board

Raw 4-21-14

MGFanJay

Still watching the show, but my favorite moment so far was the nice thing Barrett said, "I've got some bad news, but not as bad as Daniel Bryan's news." So sweet. Also, he has a fucking cape now. I love him.

Erm. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Kane beatdown-slash-"evisceration", not Bryan's dad.

Yeah, most likely. But in my head, I've convinced myself that Wade is probably the most liked guy backstage.

And this Paige defending is kinda weird. Not because they are defending her, but because like the other divas don't do shit? Hell, every chick that has had a match for almost a year has done something right. Even Eva gets heat and she doesn't do shit but be Eva. Just because some broad comes in as the "Anti-Diva" and has no distinguishable features that make her stand out, people think the crowd is the problem?

Baltimore crowds are usually terrible and I am not sure why they go there.

Emma looks like she doesn't even want to do her dance. It annoys me how not into her own gimmick she is.

I've been bitching about that since she got the called up.

Still watching the show, but my favorite moment so far was the nice thing Barrett said, "I've got some bad news, but not as bad as Daniel Bryan's news." So sweet. Also, he has a fucking cape now. I love him.

That was great because it worked as a double entendre, both as a storyline reaction to Bryan being put in a match with an enraged Kane and as an acknowledgement of Bryan's personal tragedy.

If Cesaro was going over, that should have been a two-minute squash of RVD, but I understand why they had to drag the match out.  Cesaro vs Big E, the guy who lost his first name vs the guy who lost his last name, is not particularly exciting but not a turn-off.  An extended Barrett vs Cesaro feud would interest me.  I am dreading the idea that one of my least favorite wrestlers of all time in RVD wins the title and they build to a Heyman-centric feud betweeen RVD and Cesaro over the belt.

Daniel Bryan (understandably) didn't have speaking role.  There's probably some idiot who didn't hear the news and tweeted something stupid about WWE burying Bryan.  It certainly looks like they will give him the option to miss next week's Raw, if he needs to.

Erm. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Kane beatdown-slash-"evisceration", not Bryan's dad.

Yeah, most likely. But in my head, I've convinced myself that Wade is probably the most liked guy backstage.

And this Paige defending is kinda weird. Not because they are defending her, but because like the other divas don't do shit? Hell, every chick that has had a match for almost a year has done something right. Even Eva gets heat and she doesn't do shit but be Eva. Just because some broad comes in as the "Anti-Diva" and has no distinguishable features that make her stand out, people think the crowd is the problem?

Not just Paige, but the company.  For once they gave them a solid ten minutes or so with just a one on one match and didn't lay it out with a bunch of extra bodies interfering or just as a few quick spots that they rehearsed for that night and then a finish.  And the two women involved stepped up and worked a solid wrestling match.  And the crowd acted like they were being punished, like it was a personal insult to each of them.

So, of course, they'll never do that again...which sucks because it's exactly what they should be doing.

• Like 4

I understand why Dean Ambrose can't be the leader of SHIELD anymore (the commander needs to be rational and all), but his promos are still so INTENSE. He is gold waiting for the spotlight.

During Bray's (great) promo, check the brilliant lighting on Rowan and Harper.

I felt like the Paige vs. Aksana from Smackdown was better, but I'm glad to see the women getting good time to do a wrestling match and am disappointed the audience chose then to start huffing their paint. I also like Emma, but I hope she doesn't get saddled with using that pink sock all the time.

I thought for sure it would be Cesaro vs. Sheamus in the tournament final. Bad News Barrett has been all sorts of awesome lately and I'm sorry I doubted him. I just wish JBL would stop misquoting him PLEASE.

I like the Torito/Hornswoggle feud!

Sounded like it hurt for Triple H to talk.

Rusev and Lana is an act I'm getting behind, and Rusev looks nicely athletic.

Unfortunate about Bryan's father.

Not just Paige, but the company.  For once they gave them a solid ten minutes or so with just a one on one match and didn't lay it out with a bunch of extra bodies interfering or just as a few quick spots that they rehearsed for that night and then a finish.  And the two women involved stepped up and worked a solid wrestling match.  And the crowd acted like they were being punished, like it was a personal insult to each of them.

So, of course, they'll never do that again...which sucks because it's exactly what they should be doing.

Paige and Aksana were off and kind of boring. They honestly had a better match on Smackdown last week.

Paige and Aksana were off and kind of boring. They honestly had a better match on Smackdown last week.

That Smackdown match featured Paige smashing Aksana with knees while the latter was hanging through the ropes. Even my father, who dislikes Paige, reacted well to that. The same match also featured a GREAT run-you-over clothesline by Aksana that was a VERY welcome change from the standard Diva "I'm leaping past you with my arm hanging out" thing. The match earlier on Raw didn't have anything nearly as good as those two spots, unfortunately (nor was it wrestled as well in general).

I enjoyed Paige/Aksana tonight and last week on SD, big fan of both. Aksana is a great heel that continues to improve and I think Paige is breathing new life into the divas division already. Liking Paige wrestling on both shows a bunch. I think Emma does seem to not do the dance as much as when she first debuted it, which was when it was at it's best. I liked it the most when she first started doing it as a heel, before adding the bubbles and all that and definitely before Santino, though the pink cobra did get a laugh tonight. She should go back to fully committing to the dance for her full entrance all the way to the ring. Still think she rules regardless.

Barrett/Sheamus was good stuff. Barrett's been on fire since he returned to the ring, hope he takes the IC Title again. Sad to see the Rhodes Bros probably breaking up. Rybaxel were fun on commentary, liked their matching color gear. Thought Rusev looked his best so far and Lana's theme rules. Got sick of Bray's singing by the end of the night. Evolution history video ruled. Thought Rollins delivered an excellent promo in particular. Good job making Kane a threat again that quick, surprised Bryan took three Tombstones since that's Kane's extra rare finish, guessing Bryan won't be on next week much either. Surprised nothing else got any stipulations yet since Extreme Rules usually has most of the matches in gimmick matches.

I was enjoying Corporate Kane but this was the evil monster character done right. No dopey "throwing a guy off a cliff" or "Electrocute his balls", (as funny as that was), but the simplicity and scariness of three fucking tombstone piledrivers on the floor, the stairs, and a table.

So, besides the awesome Kane beatdown that was some bad ass old school Pro Rasslin' style heel shit, this was a really fun show, better than last week, which was really good.

~Holy Fuck, Barrett vs Sheamus  was good shit. Bad News is the perfect example of what you always hear guys like Austin and Ross talk about, in regards to "taking a gimmick, making it yours, embrace it, and that's how to get over." The fact that he's gonna be a face sooner than later with this gimmick is cool as fuck, and I didn't see it coming.

~Both Bo Dallas vignettes were god damned genius. I've seen so many dopey videos like these in corporate meetings back in my old profession, and these are dead on. They remind me also of these stupid inspirational presentations they'd show us in high school.

~The promo video for the midget feud was well done, and the match was fun for what it was.

~ Evolution coming out dressed well looked fucking bad ass, and the whole segment kicked ass. The new Evolution TitanTron video was cool showing them young and then now, as was the video proper. Shield coming out with the attitude "Hey Old men, we're the bad asses around here now!" was great, as was HHH looking at them with scorn as he used his power to bring out the heel squad.

~Tag match was ok. We're getting the Rhodes brothers breakup that I'm looking forward to, if just for the promos to explain it. Ryback is so good on the mic, shit..he was the best wrestling announcer all night, besides Cole during the Bryan massacre. 

~ Remember the mid to late 80's WWF where no one was married or had a family until Jake Roberts and Cheryl ? No one existed before they were in the WWF and no one had a wife or kids. Now, in one show we see them acknowledging marriages. Times have changed.

~The Crowd DID pop for the pink Cobra to be fair.

~Weird miscue with Paul getting cut off, and boy...a LOT of the camera work tonight stunk. So many cut aways to Heyman during this match and Lana during the Rusev match that looked awful.

~ I need to start a "NO H8" movement for RVD. That match was perfectly fine, and got really good by the end. I realize that RVD could save a widow and ten orphans from a burning building while delivering Meals On Wheels and some of you would still hate him, but I digress.

DAMN, did RVD get killed with that flip powerbomb. And yes,, the crowd didn't care about RVD. You could tell by the crowd chanting "RVD". It's a known fact that chanting a guy's name means they don't care about him. What they didn't care about was headlock spots. I totally loved the Blassie, Albano, Grand Wizard and Bobby Davis mentions. This might have been the first time the Wizard has been mentioned on WWE TV in decades. The ending totally worked, as Cesaro didn't get pinned and they can now have a main event on SD that people will tune in for.

I know "RVD beat Cesaro" causes people to cry and shit their pants, but the way it was done made total sense.

But again, boy...was there some terrible, terrible quick cuts and shots from the production crew here. If there was a choice between showing the ring action or Heyman being all method, they went with Heyman.

~Paige is hot. And she fucking smashed Aksana's nose in.

~Rusev reminds me of the Tazmaniac. A Lot. Match was fun. Handicap match at the PPV seems off. Truth should be able to be a guy who handles Rusev but gets beat solo. I'm guessing they do some sort of "Woods gets beat" and pisses off Truth deal.

~ The whole Wyatt/ Cena deal is so much fun. Wyatt is the PERFECT foil/ arch-enemy for Cena. Cena's had lots of rivals and they've always been about titles pretty much, with some personal stuff thrown in. This is Dusty/ Sullivan, Valiant/ Jones, etc stuff. I want this to go on forever. The fact that they've taken the crowd singing along and waving and using it as a part of the story, ie: Wyatt gaining followers everywhere and parts of the crowd are "rejecting " Cena and embracing The Wyatts is some cool slick work.

• Like 1

Okay, so who do they bring in next to be mini members of Evolution, the Wyatts and The Shield?

(There are a fuck ton of stables in WWE if you think about it)

Rey Jr pissed off at getting booed because of Bryan as a member of Evolution would be good for at least a month. Of course, you could always put Torito in the Wyatts as Rowans pet bull.

Stephanie had me laughing tonight when she came down to the ring and then a minute later KANE:Destroyer Of Worlds comes out through the crowd and she was doing her best Willy Wonka impersonation. No...Stop...Don't...Please. I mean if she wasn't there, that beat down would be one of the best ever. Gotta hand it to Kane. Dude has shot knees but there he was doing three Tombstones on surfaces not fun for said knees.

Bad News Barrett is so awesome. That match with Sheamus was just great. I love the Bull Hammer elbow. It's so much better when he doesn't telegraph it and just levels people with it. Since RVD won, it has to mean we're getting Barrett vs. Big E. I figured Ceasro vs. Big E was a lock, but Barrett as Intercontinental Champion and feuding with Sheamus would be great.

I must have missed the Bo promos some posters above were talking about. Most of the 9pm hour I was watching Fast & Loud on Discovery. Saw the amazing Wyatt promo though. I dont know how he came up with the whole world bit...but it so amazing to watch when they are in the right cities.

Only thing I was surprised about was The Sheild didnt come out to destroy everyone who was involved in the 11 on 3 beat down last week. I thought for sure Rybaxel was gonna get it.

People were hating on Emma, but that friggin pink cobra has me in tears from laughing so hard. This is all stuff that should have made her fail with her call up but she has rolled with it and made it all work.

Paige vs. Aksana was BRUTAL. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Aksana should not wrestle. Paige nailing her with that knee had to be payback for that ugly spinebuster Aksana tried to do a minute earlier. Why haven't Paige and Tamina confronted each other yet? At least have Tamina put her down and then the next week Paige returns the favor.

The end of RAW was fun. I can buy Bray being Kevin Sullivan for John Cena. The ending with him holding his head was just great.

• Like 1

There are a lot of old public domain hymns that Wyatt could no doubt make creepy as fuck.

But, then again, I really really loved the very end of RAW. 

The Kane beatdown on Bryan was logical, and well done, but I think it's gonna be real hard to get the audience to forget that Bryan was routinely whipping Kane's ass about a month ago.

The Shield are amazing.  Like, I know we all know that already, but it just keeps needing to be pointed out.  The way they keep progressing as both individuals and as a group is staggering, especially given how good they were when they first came in.  Rollins has become a solid mic worker, and massively improved his all-around ring game to go with his athleticism and showmanship he always had.  Reigns has steadily gotten better in the ring, and is becoming absolutely great on the stick.  Ambrose has reigned in the less effective parts of his gimmick, and somehow made his evil sleezebag psycho gimmick work as a babyface.  They are dragging Evolution kicking and screaming into being interesting for the first time ever. 

BNB getting a clean win over Sheamus was unexpectedly awesome.  RVD getting a win over Cesaro was..  grr.  Cesaro vs. BNB?  Yes please.  Cesaro vs. Sheamus?  Fuck yeah.  BNB vs. RVD?  Fuck you.

To echo what others are saying, I absolutely love how over Barrett is now. I've been a mark for him for about a year now I guess, I really loved that series of matches he had with Orton last year. I love the Bull Hammer, I love that he hit it from the outside last night and still got the 3, I love that he can hit it either running or from a short-arm whip. Now that they're letting hiim show personality, I hope the guy can work his way up to the top of the card at some point.

An Open Letter to Jim Ross:

Dearest Jimbo,

I hope you are happy that a match between John Cena and The Wyatt Family ended on a disqualification from breaking up a pin fall attempt.  Clearly enforcing ticky tack rules so the heels can break them is super, duper cool.  Oh wait.  No.  It was a flat garbage ending that made the audience confused and annoyed.  Boy I am sure glad The Wyatts didn't attack the referee or use a weapon or something. 

Maybe the referee should have called for the bell during one of the several punches in the match!  That would have been awesome right?

Thanks Jim,

Goodear 

• Like 1

He shouldn't have a theme at all.

I don't think anyone can get away with that these days.   He needs something really ominous though.

and so glad Barrett is getting another push, I think Barrett is so good (I probably overrate him because I've always loved guys like him in-ring),  They need to give Barrett a face fun sometime, I think he'd be so much better as a face.

I do think Evolution needs a new "Randy"-type young lion to complete the group right now.  Bo Dallas could work in that role. 

I don't despise the commentary like most people do, but I'm getting reeeeallllly annoyed with constantly hearing about how Paige needs a tan. 

Agreed. As someone very pale, I'm offended at the suggestion that Paige needs a tan. She's perfect just the way she is.

People were hating on Emma, but that friggin pink cobra has me in tears from laughing so hard. This is all stuff that should have made her fail with her call up but she has rolled with it and made it all work.

What? Who are you? Emma is horrendous right now. Not placing the whole blame on her because I actually think a lot of it is because she's paired with Santino and he's absolutely turrible, but as others have mentioned, she really looks like she has no desire to be in the ring and playing her character.

Overall, I thought the show started off well with the Bryan/Kane angle and the super fun Barrett/Sheamus match. I liked that Bryan kept fighting back against the monster until he suffered one major blow. Barrett is so over and it's awesome. I've been really enjoying his matches. He also seems to be having a ton of fun with his character. Sheamus is completely directionless and it's kinda sad. I smell a heel turn in his future. Maybe he can join Evolution when Batista takes time off after Extreme Rules to help promote Guardians of the Galaxy. Sheamus is a real life friend of HHH, is still in his physical prime and has a bit of history with Bryan from their opener at WrestleMania 28.

Rest of the show was blah. Crowd was hot early but died as the show went on. I've noticed this trend with a lot of the crowds. Almost as if they burn themselves out, especially by the third hour.

RVD looked awful. It's as though he's wrestling in slow motion at this point. I was a huge RVD fan a while ago, a long while ago, but it's time to move on. He was never a "heady" wrestler and now that he's older and doesn't have the same physical abilities that he did in 1999, he's a chore to watch. Cesaro's new theme is garbage aside from the siren. It sounds like it's the most generic theme they could find. I think the crowd is confused with him because they want to cheer him, but he's aligned with Heyman who is still clearly a heel (and what was up with them going to commercial in the middle of Paul's promo?) and they just don't know how to react. I hope creative figures out a way to straighten this out soon because I don't want Cesaro to lose any steam.

I'm about over with the Cena/Wyatts feud. I think Cena has done a decent job, same for Bray, but it's just not clicking with me. I hope it ends at ER and both guys move on to something else.