DVDVR Message Board

UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira (4/26/2014) - Baltimore, MD (Baltimore Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

You don't think it may have had something to do with Jon Jones' brother playing for the Ravens and Jones doing the Ray Lewis dance?  Maybe just a bit?

Nope. Not at all. I was there live. The guy was over WAY before the dancing, etc. That got the fans even more behind him, but there were a lot of 'Bones Knows' shirts last night. When Jones' image popped onto the screen during the Fox Sports 1 broadcast, people popped. Why is it so hard for some people to believe that Jon Jones has fans?

His brother was on the Raven's championship team. He said every cheap way to get a pop at the weigh ins yesterday. Why is it hard for some people to believe that Jones has fans? He has fans sure, but he's boo'd in almost every fight since Rashad. 

I get that. When they showed his brothers on the screen, there wasn't this huge reaction to them. I also do not believe that people decided to get Bones Knows t-shirts after the weigh-ins. I don't understand why people think the positive fan reaction was due solely to his Mick Foley like antics and not the fact that he is one of the baddest dudes in the UFC and people like to see that.

I get your point, but his fighting skills almost 95% (a couple dirty tactics like eyepokes) have have nothing to do with why people dislike him. It's his personality, way he acts, business moves, and just about everything else other then fighting. 

The dude beats people up for a living. Is he supposed to be all warm and cuddly? I really don't get the Jones hate, he's on his way to being the best LHW ever (if he isn't already there) and he's an absolute joy to watch in the octagon. I don't need to see him participating in Make-A-Wish or doing telethons, I'm perfectly content to watch him beat people up, something he does as well as anyone I've ever seen.

I noticed Jones hate started online when he -- gasp! -- admitted he ratted out people who smoked weed in high school. That combined with him beating everyone's favorites in dominant fashion made it boil over where people literally hate every single thing he does.  There is also a racial element (IMHO) but I'll just leave it at that.

He's also corny as fuck, got bailed out on what could have been a major DUI offense considering he had a prior one, is holier than thou, etc.

I don't want this motherfucker preaching to anyone because he's just a hypocrite anyway. Just shut the fuck up and fight.

I think the main reason why Jones was a much more popular in the beginning was because they didn't have much of a clue about Glover Teixieria while Jones is a flat out superstar in MMA and outside of MMA.   The pandering of Ray Lewis was the icing on the cake.

Watching the post game show on Fox Sports 1 just made me nauseous with Cormier just screaming and yelling like a nut that Jones should give him the next shot for the title after he beats Henderson.   I know this is the kind of booking that the Meltzer's of MMA will beg to see,  the rematch with Gustafsson should be the next fight.

iJfFSKaaOcOx9.gif

Not the easiest guy to get behind. 

Yeah, I know a better build up for the rematch would be good, but what can they do? Most of the champs are out til the end of the year, and you either have the guys sit out forever, or risk losing to somebody. Not good. 

I'm not surprised that Jones got a huge pop and I'm glad that he did.  For MMA fans who're supposed to be tough guys they normally tend to get their panties in a bunch over the stupidest of shit.  It's not like he's killed or raped anyone, OMG he said some cocky things the BASTARD.  Get over yourself already guys.

• Like 1

Great night of fights!  I love it when the BJJ takes center stage. Luke Rockhold tied up Boetch like a pretzel and three straight G-Chokes made me smile.  I am not sure if Luke asking for another piece of Vitor was a wise move.

Poor Yancy Mederios.  Pride cometh before the fall, man.  When you start going cone vision, just go ahead and tap out, bro.

I was happy for Rumble.  You are a big dude.  Accept it.  That's what happens when you fucking fight in the weight class you're supposed to be in.

I am guessing that one of those axe kicks popped Glover's shoulder so that is why he didn't throw as much as usually does.  That and Jon Jones being fucking awesome and coming at him at ridiculous angles...... and poklng Glover in the eyes....