DVDVR Message Board

UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira (4/26/2014) - Baltimore, MD (Baltimore Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

I'm not surprised that Jones got a huge pop and I'm glad that he did.  For MMA fans who're supposed to be tough guys they normally tend to get their panties in a bunch over the stupidest of shit.  It's not like he's killed or raped anyone, OMG he said some cocky things the BASTARD.  Get over yourself already guys.

This is the sad truth.

I hate when people start ridiculous threads on MMA message boards crying because someone said they wanted to hurt their opponent and how that was unprofessional, offensive or something and how it's a bad endorsement for the sport.

I particularly remember this happening when Rory began hyping up his fight with BJ Penn with a lot of fans complaining because Rory began saying he would finish BJ.

My favorite was fans in a uproar because Jones dropped an unconscious Lyoto Machida to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Literally a no win situation for the dude.  Had he laid him down gently, the fans would have screamed, "What a cocky jerk, acting like he is Jesus and stuff!"

People dislike Jones because he's an arse, but one who's afraid to admit that he is.

I'm not sure anyone wants him to be a care bear (and if they're on other sites, maybe take it up with the dudes on those sites instead of banging on about it here), but if you're going to be a dickhead, either shit or get off the pot. He's just a god-fearing, polite/rude, skilled/cheating idiot. And that most likely means he's a well rounded person with different moods, but it makes for a shit public persona. 

I really don't complain (or care) about what these guys do, However, that's because I know I would be such an ass if I was champ and had his skills. Maybe it's probably because I watched too much wrestling as a kid, but that's how I feel. I disagree with Meltzer and Alvarez on like 65-70% of what they say about MMA, but I'm starting to come around on the idea of gift of gab (moreso about the importance because I already believed in it for combat sports) in MMA. This is on the heels of everytime someone says "X should be built up more" or "why aren't they doing more with X". How much of that responsibility lies on the fighter? It took Dana insulting Phil Davis for him to grow a pair and finally step up to the plate to say something. Now it didn't work, but that's the whole crux of my argument. These guys are so afraid to lose and/or make an ass of themselves it inhibits their ability to make themselves stars. Now I know part of it is also wanting to bring in major sponsorship (imo a good reason why Jon is so schizo), but everyone isn't signing with CAA or UTA. Not off the bat.

Even though I'm sure no MMA journalist would actually say this (*because sportsmanship, real sports, blah blah legitimacy blah blah be mainstream blah), but I know it's what they're all thinking. At no point should anyone who legitimately believes they're a star take shit from two bums like Joe Stevenson and Charlie Brenneman. AT NO FUCKING POINT. Joe Stevenson was not any good when there was no one any good in the sport by today's standards. Charlie Brenneman is out there getting his head lopped off on all of Jon Jones' shows like he's fucking Lord Eddard Stark. If it wasn't for people like Jon Jones, Brenneman would be in Ring of Combat trying sell off a few hundred tickets to locals to get a spot in the co-main. That's where he deserves to be.

But people want humble, white bread, you-can-bring-him-home-to-meet-your-folks Jon Jones. Then, in the same breath, talk about why he isn't drawing more than Ronda. If performances were the be-all-end-all factor for financial success in MMA, PRIDE would be still be around and selling out Saitama Super Arena. But's it not. The gay slurs on instagram? The whatever the fuck Malki Kawa is doing to be annoying on social media? Yeah, I can do without it. But I also don't want to see this vanilla fucking product where everyone is shaking hands and patting each other on the back like it's the Marquess of Queensberry rules. People complain it's vanilla already with how they try make stars now. But I can tell you right now vanilla plus vanilla is not gonna give you fucking chocolate. If you wanna help the UFC and yourself out, sell the fucking fights. It shouldn't just register to Chael fucking Sonnen. He'll never been a quarter good as Jon Jones is, but the restriction (fear maybe too strong a word for dudes who fight for a living) clearly isn't there for him.

I know why people like Cain Velasquez are humble and whatnot. Super nice guy from what everyone says about him. Can't hate on that. It goes back to what Richard Pryor said about Leon Spinks ("no one said the heavyweight champion of the world had to be an etymologist." "Leon, what do you do?" "I knock motherfuckas out"). I get the logic. But we can't act like Cain Velasquez has done himself any favors in making himself a star. I can't give you three memorable Cain Velasquez quotes without Googling them to see if they're correct. Has he probably endeared himself to people? Yeah. Has he made himself a star? Fuck no. Cain gets the fighting part right. He is an A+ student all day. He just doesn't get the "I knock motherfuckas out" part. And it's not like he doesn't think stuff like that. Rimz told me he was generally surprised how terrible Brock was in the standup department. Whether you believe rimz is a whole different story, but it's not like Cain would be above thinking that. No one is that fucking humble. But Cain's gig is never to say stuff like that out loud or in an interview. What would be wrong with him saying..."yeah I am way better striking than 90% of the guys who grew up doing striking for a living" on a countdown special? Like Cain Velasquez KO'ing Overeem on the feet would be a shock to absolutely no one. But you'll have some guy on Twitter or Deadspin saying, "no, he can't say that." Fuck that noise.

• Like 1

Jim Miller had that problem too when he was beating guys left and right and not really promoting himself.  After his last fight he said he wanted Cowboy or Nurmagomedov and now he's booked against Cerrone in a five round main event.  

But, if Joe Rogan or reporters are asking you who you want to fight, and you have a big name in mind, just say it.  The worst thing they can say is no.  Everyone is tired of "I'll fight whoever the UFC wants nonsense."  Miller called out guys that are ranked above him that make sense, and he got the fight.  

Fighters need to be more ambitious for the betterment of their careers.

Guest Edwin

Dana said a while ago that guys should grow a pair and start calling out who they wanted to fight and I think that's fair unless you're Melvin Guillard and plan on calling out Joe Lauzon only to get steamrolled by him and rear naked choked in a little over a minute I believe it was...

Conor McGregor is fighting in a main event in his hometown while other guys are wondering why they're buried in the prelims. But all that matters is you leaving the matchmaking to Joe Silva and Sean Shelby. Well, alright.

• Like 1

Dana said a while ago that guys should grow a pair and start calling out who they wanted to fight and I think that's fair unless you're Melvin Guillard and plan on calling out Joe Lauzon only to get steamrolled by him and rear naked choked in a little over a minute I believe it was...

Guillard was on his best run in the UFC at the time though and that's when his slide started. Now if he had did that when he was on the verge of being cut, then I would say "Melvin, you're reaching bud. It's over".

• Like 1