DVDVR Message Board

UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira (4/26/2014) - Baltimore, MD (Baltimore Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

I could continue posting gifs of all the awesome finishes from tonight, but I don't think it would be appropriate.

With that said, I highly doubt the next fights keeps the guillotine trend going.

Guest Edwin

Luke Rockhold doesn't keep up the guillotine trend going because he just one upped that trend.

Easily card of the year even if the last 2 fights stink which I highly doubt they will.

Guest Edwin

If anything that just proved Rumble is legit at 205.

What an amazing performance by Jones.

He's really getting up there as the GOAT fighter.

Great card top to bottom.

Only stinker on the card was the women's fight and even that had it's bright moments such as Jessamyn's sick throws and Bethe continuously landing leg kicks and over hand rights.

GREAT night of fights. the women's fight was the downer (how often can you say that?) because Duke didn't really open up.

picks be damned, this is what i am looking for out of UFC cards.

I can say this a lot, because women fights are quite a lot of times. It did redeem itself with the 4 Horsewomen taunt. 

• Like 1

Dana's strategy of getting Phil to promote himself worked, but not for Phil. He ran into his physical match in every shape and form. I didn't like his body language after round 1. Anytime someone hits you and you basically do a complete 360 turn, that's not a good sign. Plus, that's asking for your opponent to hit you in the back of the head in exchanges. Davis' game relies so much on strength that he will still be in the top 5-7 for awhile but never come close to matching what his outlook was four years ago. Everyone isn't going to get straight torched on the ground like Prado and Boetsch. If your strategy is based greatly on the amount of resistance you face, you're going to be DEEP shit. You also saw that with Fili. So much of high level MMA is based on adjustments.

The crowd was behind Jones ALL night. Biggest pop of the evening by far. I think this 'people hate Jon Jones' stuff is only for the 'smark' MMA states like NV,NJ, and CO. People were definitely there to see him. I was surprised at Rumble's reaction. The PPV started off right with 3 submissions which made me think that if the old Rumble showed up tonight, it was going to be 4 in a row courtesy of Mr. Wonderful. God Damn Baltimore loved them some Rumble tonight! Phil Davis was actually boo'd during his ring introduction. The only people cheering were Glover were the Brazilians in the crowd and some random dude next to me who was BEGGING for Glover to KO Jones.

This was my second UFC event and it delivered.

You don't think it may have had something to do with Jon Jones' brother playing for the Ravens and Jones doing the Ray Lewis dance?  Maybe just a bit?

Yeah that was some first class pandering there by Jones.  I understand his brother plays for the Ravens but even that isn't worth treating Glover like trash and getting the huge reaction.  Jones has never been cheered that much in a long time.  They even brought out the USA chants which is really fucking stupid given that most of those people loved Gomi about 2 or 3 hours before.  :rolleyes:

So would Chris Beal be the first Facebook/Fight Pass/dark match person to ever get a performance bonus.  Definitely deserved it

I would bitch about Jones finger poking Glover in the eye at least 3 or 4 times in the fight but Glover's constant issue with dropping his mouthguard makes it a push.  In the 4th it looked like it saved him

In watching Jones entrance, it sure did look like Chuck Liddell and the Jones Brothers were having a hell of an argument.  

Great show. Best this year.

UFC Bonuses:

Fight of the Night: Takanori Gomi vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg

Performances: Joseph Benavidez and Chris Beal.

Unlucky for Danny Castillo, Jim Miller, Luke Rockhold and Anthony Johnson.

Guest Edwin

I don't like the idea of Beal getting POTN. Aside from the flying knee KO, all he did was imitate Leonard Garcia.

I guess a brutal KO overshadows not having a good performance overall.

I think Holloway, Rockhold, Rumble or even Jones deserved POTN.

Holloway looked great in his fight against Fili.

Rockhold and Rumble pretty much shutdown their opponents.

And Jones just put a nasty beating on Glover.

All of which were against better competition and better performances than Beal's.