DVDVR Message Board

Examining post-prime wrestlers

Waltman went from a dude whose death would cheer me up on any day that it may have occurred, to having that great couple of days with the Chikara KOT, whichever year it was he took the ringpost to the nuts from Generico.

Waltman went from a dude whose death would cheer me up on any day that it may have occurred, to having that great couple of days with the Chikara KOT, whichever year it was he took the ringpost to the nuts from Generico.

You are/were a terrible person.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say were.

• Like 1

Back in 2008 I went to a show in South Georgia promoted by Jody Peterman. Action Mike Jackson, who was a jobber for Georgia and (I believe) Continental, was on the undercard. He started busting out cruiserweight-type moves and looked damn good in doing it. I was shocked and blown away.

I have been pondering this a bit, but the thought I wanna lay down is this: my prime example of a worker whose ring smarts more than compensate for his physical age is Super Porky. The man can orchestrate a crowd like a long-haired Austrian conductor. I saw him work a small lucha show in the Chicago suburbs and he pulled out all the stops. He must have figured that no one had ever seen him live before, so he did stuff very different than one would do for a taping (obviously the sign of a vet). SP did basic lucha crowd pleasing looney tunes (that I blatantly stole to use in front of insular WI gabachos), signature spots (he flirted with every abuela at ringside), big dives and kooky submissions and he got color (it wasn't even the main!). The ref had spots, but I can't even remember his opponent (Perro Aguayo Jr. maybe?). I have seen many lucha shows but that is the only one that people threw money into the ring afterwards. The man has charisma and deep knowledge. He was in control the whole time.

- and his daughter is hot,

RAF

• Like 1