DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA Playoffs - Round of 16

Dolfan in NYC

YAY!!!! Rockets lost!!!!

I've been rooting against Dwight Howard for the entire season and will continue to do so, but he gave it his all tonight. Props to him in this loss.

Yeah, he had a pretty awesome series.  First time he's really consistently looked like Orlando Dwight in years.

Houston's got some pretty big moves to make still if they want to be a true contender.  They need to get a legit power forward who can matchup against guys like Aldridge and Blake.  They need a better bench.  And they'll need Harden to learn how to play off the ball a little more.  He reverts back to his OKC 6th man role a lot where it's all Harden, all the time and it becomes a little predictable.

I felt as though Harden was a bit unfairly villainized during the series. I think you could make a similar defensive supercut for most score first guards in the NBA right now. Lillard is atrocious defensively. So is Kyrie Irving. Irving defends as though he has never seen a backdoor cut before. It's truly unreal. It's like he is incapable of learning. 

Dwight was great all series. It was the first time in years I have watched him and assumed he was going to score every time he touched the ball. It will be really interesting to see what Morey does this off season and what he identifies as the most addressable weaknesses. 

If I were Morey, I'd check in with Dwight and see how smoothed over his relationship with Stan Van Gundy is.  I don't think McHale is anything special as a coach and I really doubt he knows as much about coaching defense as someone like Van Gundy.

So is it safe to say games a lot different if the NBA had chosen to inforce a rule how it had been every other time and Geogre doesn't play?

I'll be interested if someone from another team is suspended under similar circumstances.  The fallout will be glorious.

Poor, stupid Atlanta.  When you have your opponent on the ropes, go for the kill.  It's up to Washington now.

So is it safe to say games a lot different if the NBA had chosen to inforce a rule how it had been every other time and Geogre doesn't play?

I'll be interested if someone from another team is suspended under similar circumstances. The fallout will be glorious.

Poor, stupid Atlanta. When you have your opponent on the ropes, go for the kill. It's up to Washington now.

If Teague was too fast for Indiana, John Wall has to be licking his chops.

Harden is on the court way too much for Houston to be a below average defender.  There is a 11 minute video of him consistently ball watching and getting backdoor cut by half the teams in the league.  Houston is going to need to more perimeter defenders to cover up for him(and Lin/Parsons) if he's not going to take that side of the ball seriously.

Memphis never had a chance.  Durant is going to win the MVP according to the news circuit.

Westbrook had an amazing game, but I'm gonna be that guy and say that the league practically handed OKC this series with that bullshit Z-Bo suspension.

@NOTSportsCenter: The 3 key people that helped seal the #Thunder's series win:

-Kevin Durant

-Whoever wrote the Mr. Unreliable headline

-Adam Silver

• Like 2

Forgive me if I am misremembering, but didn't the Hawks lose in seven to the Celtics the year they won the title and there was some controversy about Celtics players not being suspended for leaving the bench? I want to say it was Garnett.

You know, it's funny.  Indiana has been ugly at best for months, but I can't quite forget that they have played Miami pretty much dead even the last two years, owned them when the Pacers are at home, and even during these lost months, they still basically dragged the Heat down into the mud and beat them ugly.

Dear God: I root for teams like the Bengals, Sabres, Mets and Knicks. These are teams that provide me nothing but abject failure and misery. I know that you apparently hate all of those teams so pleading for them would be a waste of time. But I would like to ask for one small favor from you that could bring a sliver of joy to my miserable life: please let the Nets win game 7 tomorrow so that I may get to see at least 2 more live NBA games this season. This is all I humblely ask.

Forgive me if I am misremembering, but didn't the Hawks lose in seven to the Celtics the year they won the title and there was some controversy about Celtics players not being suspended for leaving the bench? I want to say it was Garnett.

There was an incident with Garnett.  Both Kendrick Perkins and Marvin Williams took a step onto the court to get a better look, but neither got involved.  They were not suspended despite some fans thinking they might be.

I don't recall any suspension for leaving the bench which has involved explicitly defining the "vicinity of the bench" as ending where the court begins.

You know, it's funny.  Indiana has been ugly at best for months, but I can't quite forget that they have played Miami pretty much dead even the last two years, owned them when the Pacers are at home, and even during these lost months, they still basically dragged the Heat down into the mud and beat them ugly.

If the Pacers get through the Wizards, they'll probably have figured out most of their issues.  The Leastern Conference is their savior here.