DVDVR Message Board

Best burials

Not really a burial, but my favorite Taker line was during the Invasion angle. A bunch of WCW jobbers, like 20 of them I think, tried to jump him in the parking lot. Before it was the massive brawl that everyone getting involved; it was a Taker-on-20 jobbers ass kicking with Taker winnin'; and before that Taker says to said jobbers... "What? You guys couldn't get tickets?"

The Rock when he beat The Dudleys in a handicap match. Not because it's actually a burial but because people still believe Triple H blindsiding Londrick is somehow worse than The Rock actually defeating the tag champions by himself.

People see London/Kendrick as worse because they wanted more for those guys, whereas I don't think anyone wanted to see the Dudleys pushed harder and they had accomplished enough so it didn't feel like their momentum was being halted.

They held the titles for a year and had a bunch of fun little spotfests...  that was their ceiling. They loved to flip and smoke weed. Nothing wrong with that. People acting like they could have been so much more....  nah. I don't see it.

It felt like there were some deluded fans who thought that Kendrick could be what Daniel Bryan is now, but those people would be all for pushing any random little flippy dude over HHH.

London/Kendrick and HHH were all babyfaces at the time, and HHH squashed them for no reason.

Yeah, the thing I always hated about this was how pointless it was. Londrick were faces making the save for HHH and getting beaten down by him for their efforts. If in 2000, the Hardys had made the save for the Rock and he'd given them both the Rock Bottom, I'm sure people would equally have shat on that.

Zack Ryder's entire 2012. Made to look like a chump by Eve, scared of Kane, can't change a flat tire, thrown off a stage while in a wheelchair and lost pretty much every match he was in the few times he was fortunate to even make it on tv after his "push". To me, that's the textbook example of a burial. You make the guy look like a fool and then you take him off tv.

Yeah they made him look like a complete and utter goof for sure, but he had a part to play in this himself. He got over by being a comedy goof. 

911 was one of Heyman's greatest illusions. He was great in his role as the monster who would come in and throw out a chokeslam and leave. But he really wasn't all that big size wise compared to a lot of guys in the WCW, which took away his mystique. He also couldn't work a lick.

The Public Enemy might have been Heyman's greatest trick. They were just as important (and maybe more so) as Shane Douglas and Sabu and Terry Funk and Cactus Jack in helping ECW enter the national consciousness in 1994 and 95. But as soon as they left the confines of the Arena, they tanked. And they tanked so bad that they couldn't even get a hero's welcome coming back to ECW. The veil got lifted.

I was surprised at how big 911 actually looked in WCW. I had heard WCW actually had planned on pushing him,.but he had a terrible attitude. Which the fact he could never get any kind of run in any notable promotion after WCW backs up. I remember him working as a jobber in 1990 and no selling the Hart Attack. 

Public Enemy was really over their first year or so in WCW. They also came to WCW when both the Road Warriors and Steiners returned to the company. Which is some really bad timing. 

If you watch House Party 99, they got a huge pop when they came out to fight the Dudleys. But they left immediately after and the Dudleys said they had a bad attitude. Which I suppose their brief WWF run backs up. JBL says they tried to change the finish of the match on Heat and Gerry Brisco told the Acolytes to fuck em up. 

By summer they were jobbing to Sid in a handicap match on Thunder and to Insane Clown Posse on Nitro. Grunge and Violent J being in the same ring nearly tore a hole in space and time. 

The Rock when he beat The Dudleys in a handicap match. Not because it's actually a burial but because people still believe Triple H blindsiding Londrick is somehow worse than The Rock actually defeating the tag champions by himself.

People see London/Kendrick as worse because they wanted more for those guys, whereas I don't think anyone wanted to see the Dudleys pushed harder and they had accomplished enough so it didn't feel like their momentum was being halted.

They held the titles for a year and had a bunch of fun little spotfests...  that was their ceiling. They loved to flip and smoke weed. Nothing wrong with that. People acting like they could have been so much more....  nah. I don't see it.

Well, I think the thing is that they held the Smackdown Tag Titles for a year, then got traded to RAW where they came in fairly strong but then got jobbed out. I think people expected them to have a proper run on RAW and it never quite happened. 

I'm inclined to agree that they had peaked as the little spotfest babyfaces that could. I suspect that mouthy prick Kendrick and insane stoner douche Paul London could have been a thing though.

Well, I think the thing is that they held the Smackdown Tag Titles for a year, then got traded to RAW where they came in fairly strong but then got jobbed out. I think people expected them to have a proper run on RAW and it never quite happened. 

I'm inclined to agree that they had peaked as the little spotfest babyfaces that could. I suspect that mouthy prick Kendrick and insane stoner douche Paul London could have been a thing though.

My impression is that he was the Ziggler of his time, with a hardcore fanbase thinking he was criminally misused. When he debuted, I think there were fans who felt that he would be better off as a dickish HBK-like heel and thought he could get over as a main eventer if only they pushed little guys. Perhaps they were proven right, because my recollection is that there were people clamoring for a singles title run during his The Brian Kendrick phase and excited by the possibility that he could have walked out of the 2008 scramble match as champion (even if no one expected him to get the belt).

If in 2000, the Hardys had made the save for the Rock and he'd given them both the Rock Bottom, I'm sure people would equally have shat on that.

Don't be so sure - Austin did stuff like this all the time back then.

I don't think anyone is saying it was a good idea or made sense, but it's pretty clear that this one gets so much attention because it's Triple H burying a couple of internet darlings.

• Like 1

Yoshi Tatsu. Arguably the best-protected guy in the entire company when he was on ECW, a guy who could've drawn some money given a chance- now he's treated as an ineffective joke by everyone.

• Like 1

Still with this? Dude, don't you see the distinction between the Rock situation and the Hunter situation? Don't you see how they're not analogous? You can say both are as bad as each other if you want, but at least admit that they're not the same thing.

The same thing would be Sam's Rock/Hardys hypothetical. Or, say, Triple H beating Cade and Murdoch during that same period in a handicap match. Which actually DID happen. And no-one harps on about what a burial that was because they understand that the main event babyface beating the heel tag team in a handicap match is an (unfortunate) WWE booking trope. The Londrick situation gets harped on because it was something completely different and completely unnecessary.

Yoshi Tatsu. Arguably the best-protected guy in the entire company when he was on ECW, a guy who could've drawn some money given a chance- now he's treated as an ineffective joke by everyone.

Dolph Ziggler says hi.

Dolph seems like he could have had a much higher ceiling that Tatsu or Ryder, but they've buried him so thoroughly he'll probably never be of much use to the company again.

Dolph Ziggler says hi.

Dolph seems like he could have had a much higher ceiling that Tatsu or Ryder, but they've buried him so thoroughly he'll probably never be of much use to the company again.

No comparison. None. Dolph is booked competitively and gets more TV time in one Raw that Yoshi's had the last two years.

I've just accepted that if someone isn't pushed, it's for completely legitimate reasons that I(mark) couldn't possibly understand and I just leave it alone.

Yeah, we really have no idea if someone being "buried" is because they failed a pea test or lipped off to the wrong person or what have you.

I know someone who was complaining how Alex Riley was buried because of something he supposedly said to John Cena. My response: It's Alex Riley, and the guy's a goof who is lucky to have a wrestling-related paycheck.

I think the whole "Zack Ryder got over and then got buried because he got over without their permission" thing is due to the poor taste of wrestling fans, more than anything else. The guy is one of my least favorite wrestlers ever.

Watching NXT, and holy fuck did Comacho bury the fuck out of Oliver Grey. Welcome back Oliver.

They're setting Camacho up for a feud with Adam Rose before Rose gets called up. And NXT can get dudes from jobber status into good slots without much hype. Aiden English was eating a post-match Sister Abigail when The Wyatts made their triumphant return as conquering heroes a few weeks before he became William Regal's favorite wrestler.

How about that entire Undertaker/DDP feud?

DDP was buried so deep, he was never able to fully recover after that. Even Kanyon got buried in the process.

Oh my GOD, yes.  Page doing a fucking job for Sara was the absolute worst.