DVDVR Message Board

Best burials

Matches where guys who were once something, were just shit on. Their big finish no sold, get no offence in, and then maybe even beat down after.

Hogan vs. Yoko was a pretty good example of this - kicks out of the leg drop, and gets squashed after the match. Not seen again in the WWF for 9 years.

That Warrior beatdown in 1996 before he gets fired at the hands of Camp Cornette is pretty epic too.

To some degree, Vader/Koloff might qualify here too. Vader takes all of Koloff's stuff and beats him fairly clean regardless. Never seen as a big deal like that again.

Go to about 10 minutes in and see the Midnight Express squash this guy named Wee Willy Wilkens. I know Scott Keith isn't exactly loved here but I got this story from his blog:

The Midnight Express v. Phil Brown & Wee Willie Wilkins. OK, this is the famous squash that was discussed on the blog a while back. The full story is in Dusty Rhodes’ book, believe it or not, but basically Wilkins was this little guy who thought he was hot shit and didn’t think he warranted position as a jobber because he had a couple of jacked up bodybuilder friends who he brought with him to the tapings. So Dusty decides to punish him with the Wee Willie name instead of his previous choice “Blue Thunder” (cough). And then he got in the MX’s face backstage, so this is the result. Condrey pounds Brown down to start and Eaton drops the flying knee, just beautifully. And we get the traditional rubbing of the belts in the jobber’s face by Cornette, and it’s over to Wilkins. Dennis gets on his knees to challenge him, which is hilarious, and Cornette actually jokes that he should call himself “Blue Thunder” on commentary. Eaton brings Wilkins off the top with a backdrop suplex and Condrey drops a knee, and it’s back to Brown again. Condrey, however, gives Wilkins another round of punishment while he’s leaving the ring, so he tags back in again. Eaton also does the kneeling joke and then starts laying in some pretty stiff shots and laughs off his offense. Like, literally chuckles when Wilkins is trying to make a comeback. Oh man, this is the best squash ever. Eaton adds a neckbreaker on the floor, and back in so Wilkins can tag out again. Condrey chokes him out on the ropes and they do the in-and-out gag, and Eaton suplexes him. Back to Wee Willie again and Condrey suplexes him and really lays into him with boots, as does Eaton. Willie then makes a major error and no-sells the beating, popping up with attitude, so the Express finishes with the Rocket Launcher at 7:00. I’d hate to be that punk in the dressing room afterwards.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19iatc_nwa-saturday-night-march-29-1986-part-1_sport

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts or not but I loved in early ECW when 911 chokeslammed WCW suckrock "Jungle" Jim Steele about 1500000 times with Joey Styles claiming he might be dead.

The Extreme Encyclopedia for that match was epic, with Steele (Deadus Meatus) being described as "a Renegade of Ultimate proportions."

• Like 1

Hogan/Warrior at Mania six. Hulk gets a visual pinfall with a downed ref (Warrior does too but Hogan does it first) kicks out of the big splash, kicks out juuuuuuust after the three count, and gets the postmatch focus 100% on himself.

• Like 1

Zack Ryder's entire 2012. Made to look like a chump by Eve, scared of Kane, can't change a flat tire, thrown off a stage while in a wheelchair and lost pretty much every match he was in the few times he was fortunate to even make it on tv after his "push". To me, that's the textbook example of a burial. You make the guy look like a fool and then you take him off tv.

• Like 4

When word got out that Big Show was leaving WCW, I recall Big Show becoming Goldberg's personal bitch boy and taking a bunch of falls when no main eventers took falls in WCW without a screwy finish. The purpose was to make him look like a chump on the way out and it worked. When he finally showed up in WWE, I remember finding it laughable that  he was a legit challenge to Stone Cold.

Couldn't you argue that every Ryback match at this point is a burial. This was a guy who was hitting his finisher on three guys at the same time. Now he's selling for el torito.

• Like 1

Zack Ryder's entire 2012. Made to look like a chump by Eve, scared of Kane, can't change a flat tire, thrown off a stage while in a wheelchair and lost pretty much every match he was in the few times he was fortunate to even make it on tv after his "push". To me, that's the textbook example of a burial. You make the guy look like a fool and then you take him off tv.

Oddly, I was fine with every single thing that happened to Zack Ryder in 2012, with him being taken off of TV being my favorite part.

• Like 2

Couldn't you argue that every Ryback match at this point is a burial. This was a guy who was hitting his finisher on three guys at the same time. Now he's selling for el torito.

That match where he verbally quit against Miz because his knee hurt when he had been main eventing the month prior was pretty brutal.  And then Jericho beat him down afterwards to make it even worse.

The three that standout in my mind are:

The APA vs the Public Enemy on Raw. Backstage gossip had it that the Enemy came to WWF with terrible attitudes and quickly turned the entire locker room against them. So they booked them in a match against the APA where Bradshaw and Simmons just stiffed the shit out of them. After that assbeating they got the message and I believe they were never seen on WWF tv again.

Kronik vs the Brothers of Destruction. This was one of the many botched facets of the Invasion angle. They had one match at a ppv (Unforgiven in Pittsburgh, I was there!) that was absolutely atrocious. I never saw an actual tape of the show but I have to think JR used his bowling shoe reference at least once. It's funny cause I always heard Taker and Adams were buddies but watching the match you got the impression neither team wanted to cooperate with the other. So Taker after basically no-sold everything they tried to do the entire match and the Brothers basically squashed them, Kronik got canned a couple days later.

Sean O'Haire/Chuck Palumbo vs Buff and Lex Luger at WCW Greed. This was on the last WCW ppv when I believe there was still a shot of Bischoff buying the company. He planned to root out all the old guys and/or guys with shitty attitudes he thought were dragging the company down and Buff & Lex were apparently on his shit list. So whoever was booking had the two young guys go out and just squash Buff and Lex like they were a couple of washed up jobbers on 1985 Wrestling Challenge. It was glorious.